SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

3 minutes ago, sneakey pete said:

yes, still just on 98, 7psi spring in the gate; no boost control, and only 9 degrees of timing if i remeber correctly.
In the coming days i'll sort out a few gremlins and get the courage up to actually venture a bit further and out into the countryside and get a better idea of how it performs, so i'll have some more detailed thoughts then.

Oh right - that's really going to "doughy" up the driving experience... I wouldn't really any take what a solid drive of it feels like if it's running that soft timing on that soft boost.  

16 hours ago, sneakey pete said:

yes, still just on 98, 7psi spring in the gate; no boost control, and only 9 degrees of timing if i remeber correctly.
In the coming days i'll sort out a few gremlins and get the courage up to actually venture a bit further and out into the countryside and get a better idea of how it performs, so i'll have some more detailed thoughts then.

Do you have any plans on putting a decent/hard actuator on it? 

7 psi spring, no boost control and no timing would make anything drive as soft as a pensioners turd.

When is it getting tuned properly?

• Like 1

Oh of course, tuner didn't want to leave the 14psi springs in there for the run in. Have a 7 and 5 psi spring that can go into the can and a 4 port controller all wired up there. Just got to sort the intake, exhaust, and a few other little bits and peices out first and verify the controller is working and then it'll be getting the turn it up treatment. Might take a few months however

It might be too late to ask this, but do you guys think the EFR 6758 is too big for the RB26? I'm like neck-deep in the build now, so it's probably too late to turn around, but curious what you guys think. I got them super cheap so couldn't pass them up, so this is my life now. 

Depends on your targets and the spec of the 26.  It is a SERIOUS amount of turbo for a 2.6, I'd guess you may end up with something that ends up "all in" around 5000rpm - depending on target boost, but capable of making a big amount of power.    Would hope you've set your motor up to rev to 8000rpm, if not slightly more and have everything strong enough to pump a decent amount of boost into it to make it worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

Depends on your targets and the spec of the 26.  It is a SERIOUS amount of turbo for a 2.6, I'd guess you may end up with something that ends up "all in" around 5000rpm - depending on target boost, but capable of making a big amount of power.    Would hope you've set your motor up to rev to 8000rpm, if not slightly more and have everything strong enough to pump a decent amount of boost into it to make it worthwhile.

My -5's barely spooled up fully by 4500 rpm, so I am hoping that these spool up a little quicker than that. Motor spins to 8200 currently. 

14 minutes ago, minesskyline said:

My -5's barely spooled up fully by 4500 rpm, so I am hoping that these spool up a little quicker than that. Motor spins to 8200 currently. 

Wasn't John's (bri73y) 6258/2.8 "all in" at 4700 rpm?

@bri73y

Might stuggle on a 2.6 IMO.

8 minutes ago, Piggaz said:

Wasn't John's (bri73y) 6258/2.8 "all in" at 4700 rpm?

@bri73y

Might stuggle on a 2.6 IMO.

Not sure of his boost level, but my -5's were all-in at 4500rpm at only 22psi on crappy 91 octane. I was hoping to get the 6758's fully boosted on e85 by then. I also can't imagine that these turbos would be any worse than the -5's, but what do I know. 

15 hours ago, minesskyline said:

Not sure of his boost level, but my -5's were all-in at 4500rpm at only 22psi on crappy 91 octane. I was hoping to get the 6758's fully boosted on e85 by then. I also can't imagine that these turbos would be any worse than the -5's, but what do I know. 

I guess I've had no direct experience with them - but while I think these turbos are awesome I feel a bit like people expect magic from them.

I could possibly be talking them down a bit but I personally would never have suggested these for a spool improvement over -5s and I'm not sure what gave you the impression that substantially larger turbos (the EFR6758 has a 30% larger inducer and a 25% larger exducer on the compressor side than a -5 and flow >40% more!) are going to spool better - let alone substantially better?  They will certainly respond very well for so much turbo on a 2.6, but if they are a lot laggier than you are hoping for when shifting from -5s I hope they don't get bagged for not performing as well as they should.  It would be a huge achievement to even not give a fair amount away to the -5s.

5 hours ago, Lithium said:

I guess I've had no direct experience with them - but while I think these turbos are awesome I feel a bit like people expect magic from them.

I could possibly be talking them down a bit but I personally would never have suggested these for a spool improvement over -5s and I'm not sure what gave you the impression that substantially larger turbos (the EFR6758 has a 30% larger inducer and a 25% larger exducer on the compressor side than a -5 and flow >40% more!) are going to spool better - let alone substantially better?  They will certainly respond very well for so much turbo on a 2.6, but if they are a lot laggier than you are hoping for when shifting from -5s I hope they don't get bagged for not performing as well as they should.  It would be a huge achievement to even not give a fair amount away to the -5s.

I don't disagree with what you've said. I've got high expectations and a little nervous to see the results. I am counting my chickens before they're hatched. I'm just gonna wait until it's all done and givey impression then. Hopefully the results are still impressive. 

When are you aiming to have it running by?  Very interested to see how it goes, if you plan to run it up to high power (ie, 1000hp+ @ crank on E85) then it should definitely offer an unusually good drive for the power level with a 2.6 - though really too much less than 850hp @ crank you're potentially going to be living with more lag than the effort justifies.   Please update when you get it going though, it's a very interesting setup!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lithium said:

When are you aiming to have it running by?  Very interested to see how it goes, if you plan to run it up to high power (ie, 1000hp+ @ crank on E85) then it should definitely offer an unusually good drive for the power level with a 2.6 - though really too much less than 850hp @ crank you're potentially going to be living with more lag than the effort justifies.   Please update when you get it going though, it's a very interesting setup!

Will be done mid-August. The goal was about ~850rwhp, which I think is about 1000 crank hp. Worst case, I can downgrade to the 6258's if I find the setup a little too laggy, but I am still thinking it will be ok in the end. I'll definitely keep the thread updated with all the results when I get them.

Another test drive today. Don't have the balls to give it full throttle apparently, however. (4 year old RS3's and no awd doesn't help)
Did a pull onto an onramp in second gear. Going back through the logs, i've rolled onto the throttle and only really got to 50%, at which point its reached full boost (9psi) at around 4000rpm and held it all the way to 6500. Gear changes do impress me though, after changing up into third and getting about 25% TPS, took less than 0.2 seconds to recover boost. Still tracking down a few leaks/smells/strange noises however before I'm confident to venture too far and get some better data.
End of the day though the boost pretty much matches the throttle line on the logs, its not lagging behind it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...