SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

7 minutes ago, usmair said:

Will try pick it up tonight and comment on how it's behaves in the road.

Staying at 35psi. Now I'm tempted to have a crack at running a 9 haha.

580kw is at 7000RPM. I'm getting 35psi by 5500RPM.

Going to try and get an overlay on the 8374 dyno and 9180 dyno runs and share it.

Awesome, look forward to hearing.  Good luck with pushing it off the map like that, it definitely doesn't guarantee failure and you at least know that rpm haven't spiralled off massively at the point it's dyno'd to (don't rev it higher though!!)... so while it's more dangerous it hasn't gone way out of control at that point.  

If it fails earlier than it should however, you also know you've taken the the risk and accepted it :)   VERY keen to see how it drives and goes.  They are a beast of a turbo!

12 minutes ago, usmair said:

Will try pick it up tonight and comment on how it's behaves in the road.

Staying at 35psi. Now I'm tempted to have a crack at running a 9 haha.

580kw is at 7000RPM. I'm getting 35psi by 5500RPM.

Going to try and get an overlay on the 8374 dyno and 9180 dyno runs and share it.

Yeah you know as well as anyone that some dyno's are happier than others. As you said you want to run 140mph, with that power it should go well over 140mph.

Wack some ET streets on it, soft suspension and run that 9 with a H pattern!

Good luck :)

I doubt it will happen.  There were noises of a 9280 but it seems like the hotside is also a hold up on these things, so they'll probably need a clean sheet or just twins (which I think Nizpro customers have done!?)

Picked it up and drive it home in muggy 37 degree weather.

Initial impression.

It's def lazier than the 8374 down low. You can notice the small lack of pick up and low down but transient response and pick up from say 3.5k and up is very similar to the 8374.

Couldn't really give it the beans on such a hot day. I put my foot down once in 2nd and it did take a while to come on song and was only hitting 31psi due to weather. Haven't really felt new top end grunt.

Will take it out on a cooler night to really test it but at this stage, on a mild 2.6, the 8374 is a better option for a street car.

TBC.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, usmair said:

OK I take that back.

The 9180 is awesome!

received_10159692646320467.jpeg

Awesome :) We already know this but care to elaborate?  How does it drive and go? Response decent once on steam considering the 2.6?

It's smoother than the 8374. The 8374 felt snappier when it came on. This isn't.

Low down there is noticeable lag compared to 8374 but once IMO it's perfectly acceptable to drive around town once ur up in the red range. My short ratio getrag also helps with drive ability.

Top end is mental. Even as the driver I felt a little scared as too how quickly it picked up speed. 5500 to 8500 is where it all happens on 2.6 so a stroker and 9k rev limit with this turbo would make for an incredible street car.

• Like 8

On 17/02/2018 at 12:08 PM, usmair said:

It's smoother than the 8374. The 8374 felt snappier when it came on. This isn't.

Low down there is noticeable lag compared to 8374 but once IMO it's perfectly acceptable to drive around town once ur up in the red range. My short ratio getrag also helps with drive ability.

Top end is mental. Even as the driver I felt a little scared as too how quickly it picked up speed. 5500 to 8500 is where it all happens on 2.6 so a stroker and 9k rev limit with this turbo would make for an incredible street car.

Are you running 4.1 fd with the getrag? 

16 hours ago, usmair said:

yes standard 33 GTR diff with 34 Box

Great. I hv the same! What clutch are you using at the moment?

My main sport is hill drives. I am currently running a pair of gtss and looking at upgrading to efr9180.  it is a 1.05... one of my mate has a stock engine with efr8374. it has a 0.92 without the actuator. Tuned to 1.2bar and the car is great.

My current engine has poncam b, tomei rods and cp pistons (9:1).  the engine runs great so i am very reluctant to rebuild it.  As i am into hill drive, my main concern is response from the 9180. 

Do you of a dyno overlay to share? And maybe a vid of how the car goes?