SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

13 minutes ago, gzro said:

Would a 0.92 ar work on stock displacement? Plus vcam?

Really reluctant to build a 2.8l engine when the current engine is still healthy,  current engine is <15k after rebuilt..

Straight up, you basically have 3 incompatible requirements:

1) EFR9180 power levels

2) Want to be able to get good pull from <4000rpm

3) An RB26

Remove the thing from that list which missing out on will bother you the least.  DON'T go with a .92 housing especially on a 9180, its not going to make it worth while.  It won't spool the way you want and it will also choke the compressor, worst of both worlds.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 9180/0.92 is kind of retarded. If you want the power that the 91 mm compressor can flow/give, you’re not going to get there by choking up the turbine side. So now you have a larger compressor and turbine to turn making it lazier than it needs to be THEN won’t make the power because it’s choked.

the 8374/1.05 makes much more sense. No, it won’t be lazy/laggy because of the larger AR rear.

Big compressors and small AR rears “to chase response” DONT work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gzro said:

Would a 0.92 ar work on stock displacement? Plus vcam?

Really reluctant to build a 2.8l engine when the current engine is still healthy,  current engine is <15k after rebuilt..

Theres been 6 votes for the 8374 mate take the advice.

Its a beast of a turbo! 

.92 is fail on pretty much most EFR's & you'd also find going .92 and v cam you probably wouldn't be able to swing the intake cam a whole lot due to the turbine choking. 

8374/1.05 & V cam is an absolute killer combo on a 26! Make 450+kw and be getting your face peeled off by 4000rpm. 

It will make 100+kw more than your current setup and will be on sooner, power delivery will be much more linear and there will be alot more of it everywhere. 

How much more could you ask for?! 

LOL.  Thanks all. 

Got the hint, loud and clear.
I need to sell the 9180 and get 8374 back... That is after I have confirmed that 9180 is not a good idea on stock displacement, which you all kindly did.

The 9180, vcam and stuffs are all meant for a 2.8l engine that I planned earlier - sole reason why I sold the 8374 and got the 9180.  2.8l is still an option albeit an expensive one and i would rather not as the current engine is still very healthy and reasonably new.

Vcam is not going in so soon. I need a set of piston with valve recess as the current cp pistons do not have them.

I am currently running poncam type b. For the vcam, I bought hks 264 step 2 exhaust cam. It has a slightly bigger lift (10mm vs 9.15mm). Would you recommend swapping the hks in while maintaining the tomei type b intake cam when I swap over to the ported head?

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

Straight up, you basically have 3 incompatible requirements:

1) EFR9180 power levels

2) Want to be able to get good pull from <4000rpm

3) An RB26

Remove the thing from that list which missing out on will bother you the least.  DON'T go with a .92 housing especially on a 9180, its not going to make it worth while.  It won't spool the way you want and it will also choke the compressor, worst of both worlds.

Response over power, definitely....

37 minutes ago, joe89 said:

What's the safe boost level for 8374 and 2.6 capacity till 8200? I don't have speed sensor :/ 

Can’t really put a pressure on it. 

How does the head flow? What cams? How restrictive is the cooler? The list goes on and on.

Buy one, put it in, wire it up. It’s not expensive.

Edited by Piggaz

Disappointing result with my dyno session on Wednesday due to a couple of issues. Got to 360kw at the wheels on 20psi on 98 and had clutch slip at peak torque between 4500 and 5500 rpm so we stopped there, egts are quite high too. New clutch time. I think a coppermix comp will hold an 8374 on a 2.6. I like the sprung hub and centre plate anti-rattle That the orc 1000F and osg R3C don't do. Clutch is just worn out as it used to hold much more with the -5s.

Had a look at the logs and at 360kw the emtron is reporting a calculated air mass flow of 450g/s (60lb/Min) at a pressure ratio of 2.4. Turbo wheel speed is 108k rpm. I've triple checked the scaling maths so I believe that number. PIGGAZ you might be able to help me out, the scaling on turbo speed  input on the kv8 is 3.43. The compressor map is saying I should be at 93k ish rpm so I think the stock bovs might be passing or I have a decent boost leak. Will replace clutch, check the boost piping and head back to wind her up.

Very impressed with the emtron software. Once you set up all the logging pages it's very powerful.

IMG_20180228_182858.jpg

5a987e5692cc2_turbospeed.thumb.png.2229f3c811b33fc39a962b7f42f8d54c.png

download_20180302_071659.jpg

download_20180302_072818.jpg

download_20180302_073136.jpg

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1

And why u are disappointed? Its 670hp at the engine on just 20psi. Very nice.

Just spool seems a little too weak. What are your spec? Engine, cams? ar92?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Disappointing result with my dyno session on Wednesday due to a couple of issues. Got to 360kw at the wheels on 20psi on 98 and had clutch slip at peak torque between 4500 and 5500 rpm so we stopped there, egts are quite high too. New clutch time. I think a coppermix comp will hold an 8374 on a 2.6. I like the sprung hub and centre plate anti-rattle That the orc 1000F and osg R3C don't do. Clutch is just worn out as it used to hold much more with the -5s.

Had a look at the logs and at 360kw the emtron is reporting a calculated air mass flow of 450g/s (60lb/Min) at a pressure ratio of 2.4. Turbo wheel speed is 108k rpm. I've triple checked the scaling maths so I believe that number. PIGGAZ you might be able to help me out, the scaling on turbo speed  input on the kv8 is 3.43. The compressor map is saying I should be at 93k ish rpm so I think the stock bovs might be passing or I have a decent boost leak. Will replace clutch, check the boost piping and head back to wind her up.

Very impressed with the emtron software. Once you set up all the logging pages it's very powerful.

IMG_20180228_182858.jpg

5a987e5692cc2_turbospeed.thumb.png.2229f3c811b33fc39a962b7f42f8d54c.png

download_20180302_071659.jpg

download_20180302_072818.jpg

download_20180302_073136.jpg

Didn’t see that you asked me a question, mate. Bin the stock recirc valves. There is no reason why they should still be on the car. Put one of those turbosmart units on the comp cover, turn it all the way to hard and see what it does. ?

14 hours ago, Snara said:

And why u are disappointed? Its 670hp at the engine on just 20psi. Very nice.

Just spool seems a little too weak. What are your spec? Engine, cams? ar92?

Disappointeded by the clutch not holding.

The plan was to max out the 8374 on e85 but had to hold off.

Power is good, but turbo speed is a fair bit higher than I expected it to be at 360kw. Piggaz my question was around what your turbo speed input scaling is set to in your emtron to make sure I've got it right.

New clutch and new/remove bovs and I'll hit the rollers again.

Nothing crazy. 1.05 a/r, 2.62L, poncams type B, kelford beehives springs. Running a 12 watt 4 port Mac valve that is controlling really well. Have linearised it so 0-100% on boost control output corresponds to 15-70% duty of the valve, which is the effective response range at ~13.5v

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, burn4005 said:

Power is good, but turbo speed is a fair bit higher than I expected it to be at 360kw. Piggaz my question was around what your turbo speed input scaling is set to in your emtron to make sure I've got it right.

Nothing crazy. 1.05 a/r, 2.62L, poncams type B, kelford beehives springs. Running a 12 watt 4 port Mac valve that is controlling really well. Have linearised it so 0-100% on boost control output corresponds to 15-70% duty of the valve, which is the effective response range at ~13.5v

Mate send scotty an email I’m sure he’d be more than willing to clear things up for you .

11 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Ahh that score is on E85?

When u have 14.5psi?

Here is my results 

EFR 8374 1.05 rear 

Nitto 2.7

heavily ported head

4” dump in to 3 1/2 “ exhaust 

FullRace Manifold  twin 38 mm tail gates

e85 and all supporting mods

The car feel and dives awesome 

graph is showing old -5’s 

27CD8775-9B84-4E58-961E-A0E60B6C8447.png