SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

I've just gotten the 9174 running on rb26. Needs a tune. Alot better off boost but only makes  .5 bar at 4k rpm.

Will a tune fix the laziness much?

Ignore the boost gauge for a kick off mate. Get it dialled in and see when it boots you up the ass when you mash the loud pedal.  See how it responds to different throttle inputs etc

Just burying your foot on the accelerator and waiting for something to happen while watching your boost gauge isn't a good way to gauge how it's gunna drive. Especially if it's untuned. 

10 hours ago, Griffin said:

I'm not too clued up on the tuning side of it. How much of an improvement do you expect after tuned properly?

Stand alone ebc.

There is no fixed rule, sorry.  Depends on how far off the current tune is for it etc - the actual boost threshold is unlikely to change much unless there is something mechanically (cam timing/wastegate/leaks) making it laggier than it should be.

What exhaust housing is it running?  What was the previous setup, or should I say - what tune it is running on if it's not tuned for this setup?    If it's completely untuned then I would take anything of how it drives with a grain of salt, and really not be driving it at all.    

1.05 ts ewg. Previous turbo was 8370 wheel size Borg Warner journal bearing with internal wastegate that was too small to control boost.

Definitely a lot less restrictive now on the exhaust side.

Tuned on eflex with cam gears adjusted to suit. Has 264 greddy cams.

On 4/11/2018 at 8:50 AM, Griffin said:

1.05 ts ewg. Previous turbo was 8370 wheel size Borg Warner journal bearing with internal wastegate that was too small to control boost.

Definitely a lot less restrictive now on the exhaust side.

Tuned on eflex with cam gears adjusted to suit. Has 264 greddy cams.

I've taken the efr off and am going to sell it . Went back to a smaller turbo and couldn't be happier. 

I'll list it in for sale section if anyone is interested.

3 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I've taken the efr off and am going to sell it . Went back to a smaller turbo and couldn't be happier. 

I'll list it in for sale section if anyone is interested.

Did you actually get it tuned ?

What have you replaced it with ?

6 minutes ago, Griffin said:

No , pulled the plug before it became too used and worthless. 

Upgraded to a turbo off a tractor.

You mean downgraded to something better matched to what you wanted?

The 9174 was laggier than the old Airwerks ?

Yes correct. Tune would help. Ive got a forged 3025 neo and r33 gtst.ill put it on that if I don't find a buyer. Any help selling would be greatly appreciated. The one I put on is slightly similar to what came off but with t4 rear and better twin scroll manifold / external gate setup.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:45 PM, Griffin said:

Yes correct. Tune would help. Ive got a forged 3025 neo and r33 gtst.ill put it on that if I don't find a buyer. Any help selling would be greatly appreciated. The one I put on is slightly similar to what came off but with t4 rear and better twin scroll manifold / external gate setup.

So its like a Borg Warner S300SX 8375 or something - 60mm turbo?

I'll mention it to Kiwis who may want a 9174, you have the 1.05 hot side?

56 minutes ago, Lithium said:

So its like a Borg Warner S300SX 8375 or something - 60mm turbo?

I'll mention it to Kiwis who may want a 9174, you have the 1.05 hot side?

Yes mate to both questions.

What I'm using now is basically an 8370. It starts moving just after 2000 rpm.

It would be great to find a buyer thanks. 

7 hours ago, Griffin said:

Yes mate to both questions.

What I'm using now is basically an 8370. It starts moving just after 2000 rpm.

It would be great to find a buyer thanks. 

Can't promise anything but will mention it.

Where do you get an 8370!?  Never heard of such a combo

That's what the wheels measure up at. Extended tip compressor too. The first one I used on this car was off an eimco ed10. Screenshot_20180419-165043.thumb.png.5d86742b662ec24ce8cd2f0e13885fc9.png

That was '8374' size with cut down water cooled turbine housing. The one I just took off was '8370' with twin scroll t3 turbine housing and internal wastegate which the ports were way too small and not able to control boost.

The new one has the same size wheels in a t4 twin scroll housing but I've made it external waste gate. It works great.