SAU Community

Project Snoopy

Project Snoopy

Purchased my first R33 a couple of months ago as a toy, absolutely love the car and its quite fun as it is, but that never lasts long. The goal for the car is street/track making a reliable 300rwkw.

When i purchased it it had a FMIC, Tien coilovers and a 3" turbo back Magnaflow exhaust. As with any new car that i buy a complete service is done, all oils were changed with Penrite products, including 10 thenths race oil in the motor, new coolant and new filters all round. Just something that i personally do with every car i by, no matter when it was last serviced. That way i know that it has all been done and it is using the products that i prefer.

image1.thumb.JPG.549cdca660ac53289929902299f0331d.JPG

The reason the car has been called Snoopy branches back into my R31 days where i had a car with the same name and similar theme. i have always liked and built most of my cars with a Black and White theme so it has continued on with this car.

image3.thumb.JPG.3a30fd8a9898d42b24f6709f8e1ec92e.JPGimage4.thumb.JPG.94a0f157fb1437862056b388a6fc31fe.JPG

After about a week or so i noticed that is wasn't holding boost properly and nutted the issue out to be the boost bypassing the factory BOV, i upgraded it with a GFB Deceptor pro, and whilst i was there i installed a GFB EBC, and wound the boost up to 11 PSI which is around the limit of the stock turbo.

image2.thumb.JPG.8f2d3112e458dfd42afa4807374b7c51.JPG

A few more weeks had passed and the increase in boost has started to have a detrimental effect on the clutch, anytime it was put under load it would start slipping. Considering future plans with this build i didn't to settle with another single plate as i know it will have to be changed again down the track, so i just bit the bullet and upgraded to an Extreme twin plate race clutch.

image5.thumb.JPG.1a68eb8dcaffcc7b5dfc22992ae4d860.JPG

image6.thumb.JPG.a550c4026c4d013fac9f6343373601da.JPG

Interesting times prevailed after installing this for the first few drives trying to get used to the bitiness of this clutch, but after a few weeks of driving it i have the takes offs down pat, i am still in the bedding in stage with this clutch, i was told by the manufactures to put atleast 500-1000kms on it before doing launches etc. i have tried my hardest not to feed the car too much boost, but every now and then i cant help myself.

I decided it was time for some new wheels, and a brake upgrade, i through on a full set of RDA D series rotors and their extreme pads, im not real happy with the pads though so i am going to swap them out with EBC yellow stuff pads.

image7.thumb.JPG.0f52a9ce4134eb2836df52f20ef7f1ee.JPG

I purchased a Freddy manifold for the car, but i couldn't bring myself to install it, so that has been placed aside and funds are being allocated towards a Plazmaman manfold.

Next on the too do list for the car is a few more cosmetic upgrades to "clean" the look a little, followed by a higher flow fuel pump and higher flow injectors, coils and new plugs.

I am still currently undecided on what i want to do with the turbo side of things, whether to go down the track of a highflowed turbo or opt for a complete replacement, once that is decided, then comes the bigger decision on what aftermarket ECU to use, Halteck, Link, nistune etc etc

As things get done and upgraded i will update this with more pictures and info

image1.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image2.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

image7.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small Update:

Installed a short shift kit into the car, completely different feel from the factory shifter, not 100% if i like it or not.

Nismo clear indicators installed as i dislike amber lights, does anyone know if a clear front indicator alternative is available? or would it be a case of modifying a set of fog lights?

I have also purchased a low seat rail and a cheapy Autotecnica seat (until i can afford a Bride Low Max seat) so all 6ft 5 of me can fit a little more comfortably, and have some hope of having a helmet on.

Next will be the 040 pump upgrade and injectors

• 2 weeks later...

Messed around getting the LH mirror to fold in today, pulled it apart and found one of the contacts had come loose, glued that in, tested it and worked a treat. Put it all back together, and mounted it on the car, tested it again, worked great, reinstalled the door trim, packed all the tools away, test the mirror once more, it folded in but not back out. Bastard.

Pulled it all back apart again and turns out the non broken contact had gotten jealous of the flash fixed one and unmounted itself from the pityful plastic blobs that hold it in. Glued it in and put it all back together with testing pretty much after every screw and all is sweet.

I know at one stage you could buy from a member a module that made the mirrors fold in when you switch the car off but he has been inactive for a few years, so im going to get a few relays and make it work'. once done ill post a diagram.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New seat and rail has been installed. Here are the comparisons on height and legroom.

OLD:

Front height (Front most lip of seat base) 760mm

Rear Height (Rear most section of seat base) 930mm

Leg room (Front lip of seat to brake pedal) 560mm

NEW:

Front height - 800mm

Rear height - 940mm

Leg room - 630mm

It is an autotecnica seat and to be blunt, it is shit. The seat back has over 100mm of movement, so when you hit boost you feel like you will end up laying down. Currently organizing them to either replace or refund the seat. If i had the money i would get a Bride, but funds say no as there are other little things that need doing first.

I have bought an Aeroflow 340LPH E85 compatible fuel pump and i will be upgrading the rest of the fuel system to E85 safe hosing for future endeavors. The o-ring on the top of the tank leaks so i will replace it, and figured while i was in there i might as well upgrade the pump.

• Like 1

Installed the new pump today, after pulling the module turns out it had a Walbro 255LPH pump in there already (now for sale). I replaced the tank seal and greased it up when reinstalling it so hopefully the fuel smell issue is now solved. I was a little concerned that the pump maybe noisy but it is nice and quiet.

Cruising through Facebook as one does and up popped a R33 strut brace for a massive sum of $20. Not sure of the brand, but the tube itself is made of quite thick aluminium and is strong and ridged.

It is quite rough looking so the plan was to clean it up and see what it was like, for $20 can't really go wrong

736a61c26268a3bc3897f01a8cf0db3a.jpg

Turns out the feet had 3 different layers of paint on it the original being red. A dose of paint stripper was required.

4f0cce5b618c8b79f8a600c06a9f2aa1.jpg

Everything cleaned up quite well after all the layers of dodgy paint was removed.

1f5d3b44173fea7c9e2bc0c8f7fc92b0.jpg

Missus wasn't home so I decided to use the best part hanging rack I have for painting.

c01b985ee48b0b51e65bfbeebd685c1b.jpg

I didn't really fancy the anodised blue so I decided to do the feet in the original red and paint the cross bar in aluminium silver. This is before clear coat.

b8480c0df6ff20f671913b312701dd3a.jpg

After clear coat, I'm quite happy with the way it turned out, not to shabby for a rattle can job, like anything really if it's prepped properly and you take your time you can get great results.

e378a8770b248f5b30c732e7165d1391.jpg

ab0e5b7b631975c80a1a6a153098dc45.jpg

Aaaaaand fitted to the car.

2360e412b59121d2082c0251a0eafea2.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This morning the 33 went on the dyno so i can get a base figure before moving onto the next stage of the build.

The power figure was pretty much what i expected it to be considering what i've done to the car thus far

• 3" mandrel bent exhaust
  • Splitfire coilpacks
  • 340LPH fuel pump
  • FMIC
  • Boost wound up to 11.5psi (on the dyno it sat at 13psi until 5000rpm where it tapered down to 11.5)
  • 100ron fuel

It made 177.9rwkw and 459.4nm of torque.

The power and torque curves were quite smooth and consistent through 3 runs.

It does however run quite rich, with the high end AFR's being 10.51.

The plans now are GTX3076R, Haltech Elite 2500, Flex fuel and E85, possibly a set of poncams with solid lifters