SAU Community

Japan tours (preferably in english)

Leroy Peterson

Japan tours (preferably in english)

I am going to Japan in February for Osaka Auto Messe 2017. Will be with a group of friends in Osaka for about a week, then Tokyo for another week, mainly doing car-related stuff. I haven't booked a return flight yet because I want to do an additional week or so and get out of the cities (ideally to less touristy places).

Some of the tours I've looked at (groups and self-guided) are quite pricey and include JR rail passes (which I plan to already buy myself). Another thing, it seemed a lot of the tours don't run in Feb. Can anyone recommend any particular tour companies or trips specifically? Ideally not leaving from Osaka since thats a bit of backtracking. Is it worth heading up North to enjoy Winter or going south where its not as cold? I saw an expensive trip to Hokkaido for 14 days, I would bare the temperatures if it was worth it.  I plan to do a second trip another time flying into f*kuoka and heading to Okinawa area and island-hopping.

TL;DR

• Need something to do in Japan for 5-14 days, in February
  • Tour would be good (cbf organising more accom and transport)
  • Preferably out of the cities (i dont ski or snowboard)
  • day trips vs. multi-day trips

Recommendations and experiences please!

• 1 month later...

Most of the guided trips will have you on trains anyway.  Seeing as they are so easy for my ten cents worth diy is the go.  There isnt alot in Hokkaido other than the skiing.  In the middle of Japan there are loads of things to look at. What do you wan to see out of the cities?

fair enough about hokkaido, seems its not worth the hassle and it will be extremely cold.

I've been speaking to JPT in Melbourne who are happy to make a self-guided tour based around my available days and flights. Given a me a heap of brochures and theres heaps to do in Takayama and Kanazawa. If im looking to stretch it out a bit more can hit up Okayama, Hiroshima and Miyajima. 

We will already be spending around 2 weeks in Osaka and Tokyo so I'm not too keen on staying in more big cities. 

If you havnt already, check out www.japancarculture.com I was hesitant at paying to sign up, but the event calendar is fantastic, as are the guides, and there are itinerary suggestions too! I hired a campervan from www.camgo-campervan.com who were great. It was easy to get around as the van came with pocket wifi and a tablet with google maps on it as part of the deal too. Slept in the van a few times, but mostly stayed in cheaper accom out of town. I didnt worry about a rail pass, and most of the car related shops and events arent near rail anyway, so had freedom to go wherever whenever.

Not sure if you're keen on driving around, but it worked great for me, and check out JCC :-)  

• Like 1