SAU Community

R33 Gtr Prices -price Projections?

• 2 months later...

Late to this thread, but am i the only one that loves these cars for their part in Gran Tursmo? I bought an M5 because it was my favorite car in GT2 and ive just bought an LM Limited because it was my favorite in GT4. I think video games will be a major factor to new people buying these cars.

Maybe it's just me and i am crazy for buying cars this way... but, what if I'm not?

• Like 1

I assist NRMA VVC (or in your case, RACV VVC) with their GT-R Sums Insured from 1989-2002

May I ask what your R33 GT-R LM is insured for please Steve85? PM me.

Top Secret Imports reported this week that at least a couple of BCNR33s are in Carsales for $55K and $60K. I do hope they find buyers and that these values are reflected at auction.

I imported a low km grade 4.5A series 3 v-spec back in 2013 and it cost me $30k landed, complied and registered. Fast forward 3 years and in March this year I imported another grade 4A series 3 with 23,000kms more on the odometer however this time the total cost was a smidge under $41k landed, complied & registered - so yes, I would say that prices are on their way up and especially now that Canada can road register them and in some states of the USA the series 1 & 2 models can be registered as well is pushing up the prices at auction.

• Like 2

What did you pay for them in yen from the auctions or where ever you bought them from in Japan? That isn't a true comparison when there are variables like exchange rate, and were the shipping, compliance and registration costs the same for both cars?

14 hours ago, Sick_R31 said:

What did you pay for them in yen from the auctions or where ever you bought them from in Japan? That isn't a true comparison when there are variables like exchange rate, and were the shipping, compliance and registration costs the same for both cars?

Both were through auction. The FOB (auction sale price) is below.

GTR #1 - 21/06/2013 @ 1,845,000JPY which was 89.59JPY exchange rate = just over $20k AUD

GTR #2 - 01/04/2016 @ 2,353,000JPY which was 85.98JPY exchange rate = approx. $26/27k AUD

Compliance, rego, shipping etc will never cost the same as these vary dependent on the FOB/purchase price of the car itself. But the actual cost of the car itself in JPY as you can see from above, has increased irrespective of the exchange rate.

A quick search of recently sold vehicles at auction will show similar values; You'll notice that series 1 and 2's are now worth what series 3 were a few years back, where as series 3's are now slightly further ahead.

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1996-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_-307367.html

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1997-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_-472647.html

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1996-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_V_SPECIF_intercooler_ATIONS_-434082.html

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1998-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_-407514.html

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1995-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_V_SPECIF_intercooler_ATIONS_-407583.html

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1998-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_-407533.html

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1998-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_-336573.html (very similar, except mine has a couple of extra mods)

http://j-spec.com.au/recent/1996-NISSAN-SKYLINE-CP4WD_GT-R_V_SPECIF_intercooler_ATIONS_-336602.html

Edited by stag98

• 3 months later...

I'm also in the process or making a decision between importing an 93-94 R32 (grade 4 or 4.5, 60-80,000km vehicle) or spending similar money on a 97-98 (grade 4 or 4.5, 60-80,000km vehicle) R33 GTR. Like most GTR enthusiast out there, i agree that the R32 is a more desirable option however i think the prices have already risen to the point where they will remain now for another 12 months. The attraction with the R33 is newer car, slightly more refined drive line and a lower chance of spending up big on wear and tear items being a newer car.

Thoughts?  

4 minutes ago, Vl_Calais said:

lower chance of spending up big on wear and tear items

I'm not too sure this is accurate. Maybe it's just my experience, but mine has been somewhat expensive considering how little i've driven it (I've an R33). 

Otherwise, you should go with whichever you prefer i think, they are both going up in value, and you can expect to get your money back on either car at this point. Just get the car that will make you happy to see it on your driveway. I love R32s but I could never pass up an R33 for a 32 (think i'm the odd one out here). 

37 minutes ago, Hadouken said:

Was it genuine k's?

Mine is, it just needed some TLC, however, rather than do things twice (and paying twice) i've stumped up for better components than previous. The big costs for me was/is, the brand new stainless exhaust system. The E85 had eaten through the old one. The other costs have been the upgrade to security following the day one break in, possibly I've gone overboard on security. 

Once these are done, costs should be back down to normal and i expect costs to drop back into the hundreds.

I like the R33 GTR over the R32 just personal choice but to find one in Australia that hasnt been boosted/modified beyond belief is difficult. With those sellers not offering a roadworthy but still want big $$.

The R32 are getting "tired" they had over heating issues which was eliminated on the R33. But the R33 is heavier...

Pros/Cons with both.

I'd personally fresh import any GTR at this point cause at least you know what your getting up front.

The R32 GTR's pricing is ridiculous, asking $40+ k for cars that have kms over 100,000kms. These are high performance engines, how many km's is a Stock GTR engine good for?

R33 GTR's arent much better in price and also are over 100,000km territory.

At this point I've decided to keep my 97 SII LP2 GTST , genuine 96,000kms because its cheaper to maintain.

I'd love a good stock LP2 SII R33 GTR but its that or a house deposit! [emoji849]

I think the only GTR's of any type that are gonna hold their value is good genuine low km STOCK GTR's.

The whole point for collectors is originality.

I think alot of GTR engines have been screwed up by opening them up and screwing with internals....

A stock GTR will hold its value better then a modified one for sure, but part of owning these cars is the way they make you feel when driving them.
I mean, they are by no means the fastest cars on the track anymore, especially compared to the newer euro performance cars but a nicely modified GTR always tends to put a smile on your face when you open them up.
Not sure if you've driven a standard GTR (not talking about R35's), but they tend to a boring drive...a few mods really does make them enjoyable.
R32's being allowed into the US, helped there price go through the roof, but somehow I don't think the R33's will go up in prices as the R32's did...the 33's being the middle child will mean there prices will be the weakest out of the other models, but this suits me just fine.
I am onto my third R33, and as fun weekend\track car they are real good value.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Interesting topic.

I am deliberating whether or not to put my R33 up for sale.

What are peoples thoughts on the value of an excellent condition and genuine low km 1997 Series 3 R33 GTR?

Has under 90,000 km's on it, backed by the auction papers when I imported it at the beginning of 2010.

Also worth noting it has the works in the engine bay including a full house HKS 2.8

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread.

Still contemplating a full detail, tune and advertising mine properly, however hesitant of timewasters - Seems there are a number around.

Anyone advertised and managed to successfully sell a Series 3 BCNR33 of late?

Mines either going to a new home at the start of the new year, or its copping another big round of mods because I can't help myself :/

• 7 months later...