SAU Community

Need New Brake Pads and Possibly Discs

MatthewT85

Need New Brake Pads and Possibly Discs

Hi Guys,

So looks like my brake pads are cooked, left side has hit the indicator and is squeeling like crazy.  They were Bendix Ultimates.... Was recommended years ago but Im not getting them again...

Anyway I have been looking into the brake pad thread and it looks like the Intima SR's are the go for me.

My main issue is with the discs, I think they need to be replaced as well, will measure soon.

What I have narrowed it down to are DBA rotors.

Now Ive seen DBA 4963s for fronts and DBA 4908s for rears.

But as I was reading more, esp a more recent thread which said slotted rotors arent necessary.

So question to go Slotted or not, through brakes direct it looks like the difference in total would be 118.40

and would these pads and rotors be a good choice, if not open to recommendations

.... just realised mainly daily, with maybe odd track day, but not hardcore lap times

The pads you suggest will be fine. I'm running them myself. Very good on the street. I will be track testing them on Saturday. Since your mainly daily driving with occasional track use, you can even go with the cheaper rda plain rotors or if your current rotors aren't under size you can reuse those and have them skimmed If needed. My 2c. Cheers.

To answer the question on slots, they don't really do too much but do look pretty cool. So really its more a question if you're willing to spend some extra $ for the look factor. I personally run plain on the front and slotted on the rear only because I got them dirt cheap.

wallah!

however man, no idea how Brakes Direct are selling rotors at those prices!?!?!??!! it's like they're making $5~10 .. I just sent Matt a price list and then look at Brakes Direct thinking "yeah I'm cheaper for schizzle" then was shocked... they might have some kind of volume agreement

I've been running DBA T3 Club Specs for a while, happy with them. You can probably get by without the slots and save some coin, but have a compare of the internal cooling structure of your options, I'd say it's more important than the surface.

I too have just put in fresh Intima SR's, they bite nicely on the street. Only issue is pretty good squeal at a particular brake pressure, hopefully beating them a bit at Sandown will fix it :) soon

I find the Intima SR squealed a little with the 296mm R33 disc - but no where as much as Project MU HC+ or those god awful QFM pads, however on the 324mm Brembo discs/calipers they don't squeal.. It might be the size/dimension that provides the right mix to create the squeal and amplify it.

However going to the Type-D it's virtually silent for street use (as they don't bite when cold LOLOLOL) but on the track once they hit the right temperature they squeal a bit.

18 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

SRs on my R32 on 33 rotors are quiet as.  Seem like a very decent street pad - not that I ever give my brakes enough load to really find out.

What's the dust like? loved my remsa's except for the mess they made of the rims, put my 3/4 used stock Nissan pads on while I reconditioned some 33 calipers, holy shit when I first tried to stop with them.

I have black wheels, so dust is not something that catches my attention.  Having said that, they are certainly more dusty than both the stock pads and Bendix Ultimates.  I wouldn't say they were as anywhere near as obscenely dusty as the pads that people complain about though.

What's the dust like? loved my remsa's except for the mess they made of the rims, put my 3/4 used stock Nissan pads on while I reconditioned some 33 calipers, holy shit when I first tried to stop with them.

SR's are heaps less dusty than the Remsas, they were ridiculous! In normal street driving the SRs are completely fine and I have white wheels..

4 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

SR's are heaps less dusty than the Remsas, they were ridiculous! In normal street driving the SRs are completely fine and I have white wheels..

Cheers for that, I'll put the SRs on my short list, I almost bought some Project MU NSs from RHD last night, as they have them for a decent price t the moment.

Well I did have a chat to Dose Pipe and he helped me where he could which was awesome, so will wait till the pads arrive. I'm still waiting for a quote on RDA's before I decide RDA or DBA...

Then I'll prob get a mechanic to do the install and touch up the tune at the same time, and report back on how it all goes

Ok. So just did the sandown track day yesterday and gave the sr's a good pounding. Sandown is very taxing on the brakes so perfect for reviewing the performance of these pads.

The car is a R33 gtst, stock sumitomo calipers, plain rda 324mm rotors with adaptors up front and rda slotted/drilled standard sized rears with sr pads all round, penrite 10 tenths fluid and stock brake lines. Small 35mm agi pipe ducts run from front bar to back of discs on front.

Completed 43 laps during the day. 30 of those in anger as it was wet in the morning. Every session was run flat out, no cool down laps.

The intima Sr get a big thumbs up from me. No fade at all, after they get hot, you do have to apply a little more pressure to the pedal but they still stop fantastic. As the day progressed I got more and more confident with the braking and the sr just kept doing the job. They squeeled a few times when real hot and that's about the only bad thing I can say. They didn't wear much either and the amount of brake dust that came off them wasn't much at all considering what they had just been through. They did get a real good workout and the car was going quick, managed to break into the 1. 25's which is pretty damn good for a stock brake system.

On the road for daily driving they are also fantastic. Quiet, low dust, almost squeel free. Only heard a slight squeel once or twice. Overall, great Street pad that can definitely handle track abuse as well.

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a pad that is good for the street, reasonably priced and can handle track duties.

• Like 2

Thats good to hear!, looks like the bigger disc/cooling ducts are making a big diff,

Yeah I had my Brakes go dead after 3 laps at Symmons. Im not chasing lap times, but just want something reliable.

Do you guys think its worth swapping to braided lines as im redoing pads and discs?