SAU Community

Need New Brake Pads and Possibly Discs

MatthewT85

I think the biggest difference was made by the pads, of course the rotors and ducts would've helped a bit. If you're not regularly tracking I wouldn't bother with braided lines if your stock lines are in good nick. If you have to replace because they look suspect then definitely worth it. My 2c[emoji4]

Furthermore, happy to report after a week of normal Street duties that the track day didn't effect the pads at all. Unlike other Street track pads I've used that have become noisy squeely junk after a good thrash. Sr[emoji106]

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 8:23 PM, admS15 said:

Furthermore, happy to report after a week of normal Street duties that the track day didn't effect the pads at all. Unlike other Street track pads I've used that have become noisy squeely junk after a good thrash. Sremoji106.png

I got sent Intima SR instead of SS, they're great, Needs a couple of hits for it to warm up but perfectly driveable on the street (slow, daily driving). Once they're warm, holy shit they stop. Overkill for daily duties but works. Not that dusty either (especially compared to A1RM).

• Like 2

So managed fronts yesterday. Drivers side was stuck but improvised with a clamp to get the disc off.
Tried the rears this arvo. Rear left easy.
Rear right is stuck and giving me no love. So I'll prob need to get some bolts to screw into the two holes do you guys know the specs on what I'll have to buy?

11 hours ago, MatthewT85 said:

So managed fronts yesterday. Drivers side was stuck but improvised with a clamp to get the disc off.
Tried the rears this arvo. Rear left easy.
Rear right is stuck and giving me no love. So I'll prob need to get some bolts to screw into the two holes do you guys know the specs on what I'll have to buy?

Yes use the bolts but also bash the drums all round with a big hammer to loosen things up (assuming handbrake is not binding). You may need to clean up a bit of a lip inside the drums before you put them back (unless you have new ones).

thanks guys ended up finding a couple of spare bolts from my top feed rail that fit the holes.  Managed all four discs and pads over the last couple of days, rain, darkness and the one stuck disc made it more than a day, as well as taking my time on the first one. but overall pretty easy job.

Thanks for your advice and esp thanks to Johnny and STT

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 03/10/2016 at 0:44 AM, admS15 said:

The car is a R33 gtst, stock sumitomo calipers, plain rda 324mm rotors with adaptors up front and rda slotted/drilled standard sized rears with sr pads all round, penrite 10 tenths fluid and stock brake lines. Small 35mm agi pipe ducts run from front bar to back of discs on front.

How are you finding the RDA's on the track Bill, any issues with the heat? Have you run DBA's before, for comparison?

I'm getting an annoying squeal (yes have added copper grease) and some shudder on the front right and trying to diagnose the cause, someone suggested the classic 'warped rotor' but will need to investigate further. My current DBA T3's have been skimmed once, there's maybe one more skim left in them, but in case I need to replacement I'm wondering if RDA's would do the job for ~60% of the price...?

Hi Jussi, so far so good but they've only really copped 1 hard track day. I need to put them through some more torture before I can give a decent assessment of how they cope under extreme duress. Haven't had dba before, just Nissan oem which held up well over multiple track days. I'll keep you posted in the future.@V28VX37

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 10:23 AM, MatthewT85 said:

Thats good to hear!, looks like the bigger disc/cooling ducts are making a big diff,

Yeah I had my Brakes go dead after 3 laps at Symmons. Im not chasing lap times, but just want something reliable.

Do you guys think its worth swapping to braided lines as im redoing pads and discs?

I think the theory with braided lines is the same as M/C stoppers: more instant reaction when you hit the brake pedal i.e. no initial flex of the bulkhead or expansion of the rubber brake lines.