SAU Community

RB26 Tomei Type R Cams - Results?

5 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Sorry I don't follow? I thought we'd all agreed that -9s were relatively responsive? Or is this a lead in to telling me to go single :D I'm in Vic, not happening. 

I'll try Simon, cheers. 

I have HKS GTSS (-9). Bloody responsive as hell. I.E I have 20psi by 3900rpm and 23psi (i have head studs) by about 4300rpm. Gained roughly 60 to 70KW in the low- mid range compared to my old -7 setup.....

My exhaust is restricting me up top now :-(

I plan on getting Type R cams sometime next year too...

2 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Yep, seen it. Noted the feedback on here that the real world dyno testing wasn't as generous. 

1 minute ago, djvoodoo said:

I have HKS GTSS (-9). Bloody responsive as hell. I.E I have 20psi by 3900rpm and 23psi (i have head studs) by about 4300rpm. Gained roughly 60 to 70KW in the low- mid range compared to my old -7 setup.....

My exhaust is restricting me up top now :-(

I plan on getting Type R cams sometime next year too...

I'm on 25psi by similar rpm, also headstuds.

What are you basing that buying decision on? 

Just now, ActionDan said:

Yep, seen it. Noted the feedback on here that the real world dyno testing wasn't as generous. 

I'm on 25psi by similar rpm, also headstuds.

What are you basing that buying decision on? 

I want a mild cam, but not lose 25+ KW between the 75km-110km (3-4 ishkrpm zone) I guess my buying decision is based off the dyno results I've seen with those that run Type B, and figuring the Type R has the same lift, with almost stock duration. I can live with a few KW loss in the lower end as the -9 is really responsive anyway.

3 minutes ago, djvoodoo said:

I want a mild cam, but not lose 25+ KW between the 75km-110km (3-4 ishkrpm zone) I guess my buying decision is based off the dyno results I've seen with those that run Type B, and figuring the Type R has the same lift, with almost stock duration. I can live with a few KW loss in the lower end as the -9 is really responsive anyway.

Fair enough, what gain are you expecting from mid to top end? 

1 minute ago, Piggaz said:

Another option is the Mines Shore pro 2 shafts which are 252 @ 10.05. A little more expensive though. Almost another 1 mm of lift though.

I've heard about these before, fit a standard head? No risk of smash smash with that lift?

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I wouldn't say a dash -9 setup is responsive at all... that's just me.

Agreed, not in the way that stockers are. My 33 with standard R34 BB's on it and 18psi was a beast for traffic light grand prix. 

My 34 would reel it in and blast past one the speeds climbed though. 

Just now, ActionDan said:

I've heard about these before, fit a standard head? No risk of smash smash with that lift?

They come with new buckets. I *believe* they drop into a factory head but can't confirm.

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

and even though the -9s hit 23psi or so by 4300rpm.. before that magical RPM.. it makes less torque and less power than a diesel Golf.

I'm making 180 RWKW at 100km/h. I'd say that's about on par with a 4ltr Barra motor :-)

not exactly the same setup as yourself but for reference...I managed to shift full boost (18-20psi) by 400RPM just by playing with cam gears without losing any top end.

I have RB26, -7's, 98RON

I went from 2 degrees advanced on inlet, 4 degrees retard on exhaust......to 6 degrees advanced on inlet, keeping it at 4 degrees retard on exhaust.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

not exactly the same setup as yourself but for reference...I managed to shift full boost (18-20psi) by 400RPM just by playing with cam gears without losing any top end.

I have RB26, -7's, 98RON

I went from 2 degrees advanced on inlet, 4 degrees retard on exhaust......to 6 degrees advanced on inlet, keeping it at 4 degrees retard on exhaust.

smart move...

Cams will NOT give you response

• Like 1