SAU Community

RB26 Tomei Type R Cams - Results?

I could live with the graph being pointer in the middle if the final position was not lower.

I like the top end pull it has now. I just want it to come on sooner and harder because that's fun to drive.

When I changed the intake cam on the Silvia from 240 to 248 and dialled in the gears, on the dyno, I ended up with better response, and more torque and power everywhere.

Different motor though not sure how relevant that is.

I always appreciate the feedback and discussion but I ask for results becausw of things like the pods vs airbox debate.

I saw first hand the factory box was a restriction well under 400kw despite everyone swearing black and blue it wouldn't be.

Dyno proven, nothing else changed and pods made more power.

Again I'll reiterate that I always appreciate and listen to the advice I receive :)

So I always look for real world test results, not just theory.

Totally unrelated however this is good info for max torque and lag.

Recently, well about 3 months ago I retuned a SR20 with a full TS GTX3071 0.83 setup and it previously had a set of homo BC 264 cams in them. Turbo came on at 4.7k rpm, max torque was about at 6.2k rpm and you could imagine how useless, how shit that would be. Power kept climbing but what for? I had to cut the revs at 8 because still had a hydraulic lifters 

I advised the owner  (again) to go smaller duration cams, he kept saying these cams are responsive blah blah blah. Anyhow he obliged and got basic 256 Poncams. All 1.8bar is now in by about 4200rpm, max torque is now at a sensible 5.4k rpm and car shits out a fun 350kW.

#truestory 

so the moral of the story is 8 degrees was enough to make 500rpm difference and the thread is asking about increasing it by 10 and 14 and expecting the response to improve? 

Like I said earlier. I increased duration and advance in the Silvia and got more of everything. Went from mild to a little less mild duration and lify.

We're not talking going from stock 240 to 272.

I wonder if camtech would make a version with 248 duration and max lift before it needs buckets?

Wonder why type A cams never get much consideration?
To date my smaller 2.7L is producing 20psi on 98ron earlier than 2.8L's on E85 with the same turbos.
Which is something to think about.

I get positive boost from 1,500rpm and starts pulling from 2,500 rpm which is where you want your cams to operate.

My boost plotted againt Paul's and biggest difference is cams and lack of head work on my part.
3b8b670bc05fbbf0b381dc6391478d10.jpg

So yours is the red line?

I'm not sure why the get ignored, I looked at type A also but the R seemed to be pegged for best response.

I'll dig up the graphs we did from the silvia which showed cams effect on boost, torque and power.

Did you go from stock to type A and gain response and midrange?

Here they are. This was a bigger intake cam, 240-248 with a tiny bit more lift, and cam gears being adjusted. 

As you can see, more response, more torque and more power everywhere. It starts to cross over right at the top of the rev range, bu I'm shifting by then anyway. 

In my head, this is what I expect from Type R cams dialled correctly, am I way off the mark here given that if I did type R I'd be doing exhaust cam as well?

Did the Silvia work better because only the intake had greater duration so there was no/minimal overlap ruining the down low? 

Cam Boost.JPG

Cam.JPG

But you've got it all worked out, you have a line drawn on Paul dyno sheet with paintshop, you have your Silvia's result, you want to put cams in it. Now all you need to do it do it and prove everyone wrong 

• Like 1

Haha, so salty :D I love it.

Surely you've gotta see my thought process about really wanting to dig into things after the pods vs airbox bullshit.

How many people swore black and blue airbox wasn't a restriction. Yet oddly my dyno result seems to have just been ignored.

I get the theory regarding too much duration causing excessive overlap and costing power down low, and we've seen that with bigger cams.

What we don't know is how much duration, and at what cam gear settings, that becomes an issue.

Nobody has shown me Type R cams vs stock on a graph yet.

In essence, you're probably right, I may just need to buy them and dyno test like I did with the pods.

I don't mind being wrong, I just like some actual real world data either way, not just theory and people jumping on a viewpoint despite having no personal experience with it, such as the airbox vs pod discussion.

There was a little salt with the silly line drawn on the dyno sheet as a quick search for a genuine dyno sheet show a very different result

soon have a huge order I need to do and it will come in that order