SAU Community

Evo - The Poor Man's GT-R?

colourclassic

With the recent price rise in GT-R's and the dwindling supply of clean vehicles, will more people be turning the to Evo for a 4WD Japanese sports car?

I believe prices have gone beyond the budget of the average punter, with the BNR32 into the 30-40k range, BCNR33 25k+, and I won't even mention R34's. This is expensive for what you get in terms of performance, reliability and parts attainability. Of course you can't go past the heritage, looks and presence of a GT-R, but there are certainly better value choices. 

Will people in the market for a GT-R begin turning to Evo's due to their lower price and (arguably) better performance? Will there be a knock-on effect in which Evo prices begin to rise too? 

As someone in their 20's and saving for a house, there's no way I could justify a GT-R anymore, but an Evo seems like a reasonable compromise.

Ugly though :7_sweat_smile:

Edited by colourclassic

GTRs are for fans, either rich or dedicated and good on them. Most GTRs (not all) seem to spend most of their time in the workshop or garage and owners have (need ) a daily driver. For you an evo would be a usefull daily as well as good for the odd track day. But get one quick ... they've stopped making them!

Sold my 8MR 3 years ago for 21K

Terry-26_zps99d1c5f7.jpg

It was great to drive until the cam belt snapped at 97,300Km.

Terry-30_zps05b4617a.jpg

Yep, I fixed it up and sold it.

RMBLBE-4_zps46e90e64.jpg

For driving enjoyment and chuckability, it was a gem. Longevity is the question mark.

• Like 1

I'm on the same boat as you, seeing as R34 prices are nuts, and the current exchange rate is rubbish, evos seem very tempting, but like you said they don't look as great and they don't quite do it for me.

Even base model R34 GTR's have on average gone up 10k in the past year, and are still on the rise, taking entry level ones out of the question for us.
Even looking back at past ones sold on the forums like Terry's blue v spec ii that sold a few years back for relatively not much money makes me cry a little.

• Like 1

The gtr is a car you have cause you want one, if you're looking for something sensible, reliable, great at the track or even cheap to maintain. Then a gtr isn't the car for you and that's where cars like the Evo or the sti come into picture 

• Like 1

Evo's are near the same price!?. Evo 7's 20-30k, Evo 8 mr 30-40k. Evo 6-9 value's will rise over time for good ones.

Lol. This is way off the money.

9's seem to have gone up a bit. Probably looking around 35k for a low k one.

8mr is 25-30k depending on condition.

7 has dropped in value because old.

I like my evo more than my gtr. I pound it at the track and it loves it.

GTR was a good car at the drags and being a street racer.

Evo is good for carrying my purse.

1 hour ago, Hadouken said:

Lol. This is way off the money.

9's seem to have gone up a bit. Probably looking around 35k for a low k one.

8mr is 25-30k depending on condition.

7 has dropped in value because old.

I like my evo more than my gtr. I pound it at the track and it loves it.

GTR was a good car at the drags and being a street racer.

Evo is good for carrying my purse.

Yeah maybe I was just going off my Carsales search lol

• 3 weeks later...

Evo's are climbing in price too now. I bought mine for 13.5k with roady 3 years ago, spent 2-3k on e85 supporting mods and sold it for 17.5k without roady 2 months ago. 

I bought an R34 GTR before it was completely unattainable, Ive always wanted one, and it scared me when i realized i may never own one, which prompted me to sell the evo, otherwise i never would have. I would have both if i could.