SAU Community

Experiences at VicRoads (re)registering a car?

Hi SAU,

My car has a bit of a checkered past. The PPSR checks out OK and I've got all the import, compliance and other paperwork, so happy about that. The compliance plate is no longer under the hood but overall the car is in excellent shape with a roadworthy coming. That means a date with VicRoads is coming... It'll also be popping my cherry at VicRoads too and not being through it before I'm not sure what to expect.

Wanted to ask your experiences (re) registering a car?

Cheers!

It's a mixed bag mate - you can get a shit inspector or a good one; luck of the draw. Have had pains in the ass who kick up a fuss over the first few digits of the chassis number missing from the stamping (normal for older Skylines [R33 and older etc.]) and wanted us to get a workshop to stamp the missing digits in (like that proves or changes anything?).

Have also registered a car that turned up on a tow truck with a savage bottom end knock and a bazillion mods.

Just do everything you can to eliminate getting knocked back. Why is the compliance plate missing from the car? Not 100% but I feel like you could get knocked back for that even with the paperwork.

Just do everything you can to eliminate getting knocked back. Why is the compliance plate missing from the car? Not 100% but I feel like you could get knocked back for that even with the paperwork.

The compliance plate might be a sovereign for someone that... ummm... "borrowed" it. Any ideas how to go about getting a compliance plate reprinted? Checkered past right. The thing on my side is the car checks out.

There are no mods, asides from an exhaust, that they'll see. So it sounds like luck of the draw then.

I would pick up the phone and talk to a compliance workshop, as they'll know what's required and may be able to produce another one for you, even if for a fee. I feel like it'll be a barrier to re-registering a car, considering they can kick up a fuss over things that are the way they are supposed to be anyway.

• Like 1

I registered my R32 GT-R for the first time in VIC a year ago. Had been deregistered in NSW 6 months before. In the interim, I had an engine swap performed (another RB26 so no big deal) and no other earth shattering mods.

I was late to the VIC Roads appointment due to a flat battery (of all the crappy luck) but had every scrap of paperwork in order (I am a touch OCD) so it went through without a hitch. Other than having to google search on my phone to show the inspector where to find the engine number. But again, no big deal.

Have all of your paperwork in order. If there are discrepancies in the car's history, ensure that you have supporting doco.

• Like 1

1. Receipt / Contract of sale for the car including sellers full name, address, VIN, KMs, date of sale, price, serial number. I called Vicroads and they were super helpful (no joke) to find out what was needed.
2. Receipt / Contract of sale for the engine (details as above)
3. Scanned copy of sellers driver's license
4. VIC RWC
5. Insurance policy
6. Vicroads paperwork completed in full (this smoothed the way when I was late)
7. Temp Rego to drive from worshop to vicroads.
8. Proof of my identity
9. Bolts etc. to affix plates.
10. NSW dereg papers

18 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

1. Receipt ......

Cheers.  I've got all of that.  I'll work on the compliance plate and hope for the best!

6 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

nothin suss

Ha!  Made me laugh :)  I'm the legal owner.

Document 26 - Roadworthy Requirements - of the Vehicle Standards Information on page 10 has something like "Compliance plates are often damaged, lost or stolen.  They are not a requirement for a roadworthy certificate".

• 2 weeks later...