SAU Community

Review Cygnett Magnetic Vent Mount

PranK

Cygnett Magnetic Vent Mount
5 / 5 stars

After having a less than optimal experience with the Cygnett MagMount 360 I was given a Magnetic Vent Mount by Cygnett to try.

TL;DR - This is a brilliant phone mount. Go and buy one.

20161009_180945.jpg

I have tried cheap vent mounts before and they barely hold on to the vent before you even attach your phone. I was nervous that this would be similar. I was very wrong. 

In fact, my first go at attaching the base to the vent caught me out; I thought I'd don't something wrong because it was so firm. It has no lateral movement at all. The mount base has a little button that pries the spring-loaded clamp apart so you can put it on and off. The best part about this is that you can very easily take it with you and it will mount just as securely to any car you get in. 

NOTE some cars do have different gaps between their vent shutters. Our Passat has very little gap between the shutters and so I made sure I could put it on there. I could, perfectly. It was also mounted to the Bora and a Mazda 3 with no issues at all.

20161009_181032.jpg

You will likely lose the ability to move the vent shutters on the vent being used. This is the same across any vent mounts and not a Cygnett problem. If you need the vents pointing at you when driving you may wish to rethink a vent mount.

The mount comes with some sticky magnets for the back of your phone or phone case. You can also slide a larger magnet in between your phone and its case, which also works well (this is what we've done on my wife's phone). I did find that my Samsun wireless charging either doesn't work at all or gets dangerously hot when using these stick-on magnet pads. I've had to cease using it until I find an answer - this is not a Cygnett problem, this is a problem with all magnet based mounts. 

20161009_181337.jpg

Driving with the mount is fine. At no stage does my phone (Galaxy S6) or my wifes phone (HTC One) look unstable or like they will fall. They are secure while driving and firm enough to change tracks or re-centre Google if needed.

This is my new favourite mount. Well done Cygnett.

• Like 1