SAU Community

Did I install my pod filter correctly?

Did I install my pod filter correctly?

Hi, I've just done my first ever mod on a car (a little one, but still lol). But seeing as its my first mod I want to make sure that its done correctly.. or at least good enough.

So I read a few posts and it seems like the hose that runs parallel to the airbox isn't important? so I just unplugged it up near the top of the engine (pic 3) 

Is it fine to leave it like that? or should I have done something else?

Also I've only ziptied the pod filter because it was really floppy.

Thanks

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

I think that was my first mod too but wasn't the last. I left the hose in place and plugged the end with a bolt. If your filter is attached with a plastic adaptor watch out that it doesn't crack with the movement. I had to replace plastic adaptors twice and it's hard to spot the cracks at the join but means it would leak unfiltered air into the engine. I got an alloy adaptor in the end which was hard to find for the 3 inch adaptor neck that I've got but an Impreza one had the same bolt hole pattern.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DatsunBanana said:

I think that was my first mod too but wasn't the last. I left the hose in place and plugged the end with a bolt. If your filter is attached with a plastic adaptor watch out that it doesn't crack with the movement. I had to replace plastic adaptors twice and it's hard to spot the cracks at the join but means it would leak unfiltered air into the engine. I got an alloy adaptor in the end which was hard to find for the 3 inch adaptor neck that I've got but an Impreza one had the same bolt hole pattern.

I'll be sure to check that it doesn't crack... I'll look into getting an alloy one. Thanks.

Nothing screams defect me more than a bright blue pod filter cable tied up to a bracket.. lol.. - You'll probably want to cap off that line you took off up near the back of the inlet plenum, it'll be a vac leak and you might notice a high idle etc

And keep your stock airbox, for when you do get defected you can get it cleared! :)

• Like 1

Nothing screams defect me more than a bright blue pod filter cable tied up to a bracket.. lol.. - You'll probably want to cap off that line you took off up near the back of the inlet plenum, it'll be a vac leak and you might notice a high idle etc

And keep your stock airbox, for when you do get defected you can get it cleared! [emoji4]

What's defect? Is that some sort of legal trouble? In New Zealand I'm pretty sure it's fine to have a pod filter *I think*.

Should I put that hose back in and just put a screw into the end of it?

I'll for sure keep the stock air box though :P

21 hours ago, Jordy32 said:

And keep your stock airbox, for when you do get defected you can get it cleared! :)

He's in NZ, apparently they are a lot more relaxed.

Hilarious, Reminds me of the first 'mod' i did on my very first car..........one day hopefully you will think back to this and find it as amusing as i'm finding it now.

Like others have said, there is really no need to remove your stock airbox, if you must keep the pod get rid of those cable ties! I wouldn't expect them to last long anyway, fashion up a bracket, not hard and can be done with minimal tools that will hold it much more securely.

But how will you pick up girls at car parks with a stock airbox? :P

Actually, my "intake mod" was chopping the airbox on my R31, made a soft "prr" noise on decel and dirtied the filter quicker. Putting better tyres + brakes + suspension were much, much more effective.

14 hours ago, colourclassic said:

Some of your must fap into your 'stock airbox' judging by the responses.

I'd glady sacrifice 5kw for more turbo harmonics. 

Shame yours isn't turbo though.

What's so harmonical with putting a pod on a stock turbo and engine?

Just make a bracket for it using a $6 piece of metal from bunnings. All you need to do is measure the distance between the pod clamps and bolt holding the power steering resvoir and bend into shape accordingly so that the bracket fits under the clamp and bolts into the same hole as the resvoir. Better than cable ties.

Or just put the factory airbox back. There's a 9 second skyline r33 on youtube that runs a factory airbox (mind you its slightly modified).