SAU Community

Spam on Android Phone

Spam on Android Phone

Hey all,

I use a Google phone (An LG Nexus 5X), I use the Chrome browser to view all websites, including SAU.
I can browse for an hour straight on normal sites, not an issue, but the moment I get to SAU my phone is highjacked by spam off to "You've won a new phone" "You've won this" etc etc

It's a royal pain in the ass, and it's stopping me from browsing to SAU, and considering most of my SAU time is done these days off my mobile phone, that's a real PITA!

Has anyone else come across this?

• Like 1

Yeah this has been a doozy. We've had a few reports but cannot replicate the issue at all. I'm on Android and use Chrome and currently not getting any issues at all but I have seen them in the past. Our ad partner is reputable and wont just add any ads at all, so you can rest assured that the ad code is solid. 

Can you post some links where its happening for sure?

Have you tried the app?

I was actually going to post this up aswell, I'm on Apple iOS and I get redirects to tulpaserv or something, then onto this free phone crap.

I don't use Chrome, I just use the iOS Safari. Seems to happen only when I hit the frequently visited sites tile, rather than typing the SAU address directly.

Pretty annoying!

I also don't use the app because I find it uses too much data compared to just using safari....wierdly?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's ads or not Christian. It does a complete redirect to a different site, then puts a popup on. Makes the phone vibrate like crazy.

It is honestly more like spam than from the ad server. But it only happens on Sau 

I get it mostly going to say.com.au, but also sometimes get it when I follow a link to a different section of the site or into a thread.

When I hit the back button my phone won't even Register that I was on the site I wanted (so it seems like its getting into your headers and copping a redirect somewhere)

So say I'm on Google.com.au and then I type into the address bar Sau.com.au I end up at a set of tulpaserv.com or some such, smash the back button and I'm straight back to google.com

Next time it pops up I'll screen shot it

• Like 1

I got hit just now with this one:

Screenshot_20161031-061344.png

Unfortunately I missed the second screen shot of the tulpa server part as my phone was going spastic.

This time how ever this add did kick in by: I wasalready on the forums main screen, I scrolled down and clicked into the ideas and feedback area.

It half loaded the ideas and feedback area and then redirected me.

Using the back button this time did get me straight back to the ideas and feedback section.

I get this everytime I load sau from scratch or it refreshes after I have closed chrome/android browser.

It will also hang when trying to load an ad (4g middle of sydney) after changing to the next page or trying to load a new subsection. refresh url and bam mega pop up instantly. or quit the current tab and load sau.com.au and get the pop up.

Googled around and it seems like it is coming from the ad servers (happens occasionally on other sites as well)

• Like 1

Here is something interesting....

On the home wifi now...so different set of ads and no pop up.

Turn wifi off and use 4g and back to  pop ups. 

And its only when an ad for mail order international sim cards appears in the top ad box first

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 8:55 PM, zebra said:

This is the one.

Got the pop up .01secs afterthis screen shot

Screenshot_20161102-205325.png

I also get this screen, but sometimes without the pop up.

The interesting part is if you try and go to that ads site, or google them, they don't seem to exist (They didn't about 2 weeks back when I looked anyway)

Hey @PranK, there's a few people on the Skylines Australia Facebook group complaining of this saying they are getting it so much they're struggling to get on to SAU to post at all.

Are we able to get a trial with ads turned off or something to see if it stops the problem for a week?