SAU Community

CTP Savings At Last in NSW Whilst With NRMA VVC

GTR-N1

CTP Savings At Last in NSW Whilst With NRMA VVC

We've known for a while now that Shannon's offers discounts on CTP Renewals on cars that are insured by Shannon's. We also know how horrendously expensive CTP Premiums are, for reasons we can discuss elsewhere.

Now, NRMA Vintage Veteran and Classic are upping the ante. But there are hoops your need to jump through...

So, pay attention!

NRMA%20VVC-2_zps2q27hsuz.jpg

The original NRMA VVC Invoice has been destroyed (by an NRMA office worker), but as you can see, on the accompanying form, I've written down $758 as being the Premium Due for my CTP Renewal.
On the original Invoice, it states that there is no accompanying NRMA Insurance that would ordinarily reduce the CTP Premium.
That's because NRMA is slow in linking the VVC arm to its CTP Renewals.

If I had paid online, I would have had to pay $758. If I had paid by phone, I probably would have paid $758. If I had paid at Australia Post, I definitely would have paid $758.

Now for the kicker...

NRMA%20VVC-1_zpsdtz2qb67.jpg

By paying at an NRMA Branch - and here's the important bit... - asking to adjust the CTP Premium because the car is insured with NRMA VVC, I have saved $280!!!!!!
Now I don't need to tell you that $280 can buy me a degustation meal for two at Tetsuya's. But hey, you have better things to do with $280 than by an empty-nester like me!  

• Like 5

Awesome stuff Terry!! Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't mind lining up at an NRMA branch to save that kind of money. Although most of the times I've gone into an NRMA branch, the most I've had to wait is a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

Will definitely remember this for renewal time.  Do you think location/age/driving record had much factor on the outcome or was it purely because of an existing policy?  280 seems too good to be true :D

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this with my renewal coming up. $900 for CTP this year (metro Sydney, male, aged 25) and I was keen on the saving. Got to the branch and asked about it, they said "no" immediately because there's nothing they could do about my age. They mentioned that I wouldn't see any savings on CTP until I'm 30. Tried again on the phone with NRMA VVC and they said the same thing. I'll try again next year I guess. 

• Like 1

After recently going through the NRMA claims process after hitting a kangaroo and the entire repair process taking 6 weeks to repair a headlight, passenger side guard and bonnet on a Toyota Avalon, I would trust any insurance company underwritten by IAG with extreme scrutiny. I was promised that the repairs would be completed by a certain date and because it wasn't I now have a car over 1000kms away from where I now live with no practical means of getting it to me... :glare:

25 minutes ago, salavace said:

I tried this with my renewal coming up. $900 for CTP this year (metro Sydney, male, aged 25) and I was keen on the saving. Got to the branch and asked about it, they said "no" immediately because there's nothing they could do about my age. They mentioned that I wouldn't see any savings on CTP until I'm 30. Tried again on the phone with NRMA VVC and they said the same thing. I'll try again next year I guess. 

Damn, doesn't sound like ill have much luck then.. 

On 10/29/2016 at 10:20 AM, Terry_GT-R34 said:

I wonder if other states have links set up between NRMA VVC, RACV VVC, SGIO VVC etc and their CTP section???

QLD appears to however through a different mechanism, for regular ol' me it's $380 state wide for Class 1 (i.e. Car and stationwagon) interestingly there is a class for  vintage, veteran, historic or street rod motor vehicles' which is $75... whether your car would qualify for this or not I do not know...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Parents have been with NRMA for decades, had a couple of claims, no issues (had hire car so no loss of transport).

I'm glad your folks have had a good run with NRMA, mine has just been an ongoing headache! Loss of transport wasn't our issue, they promised that the car would be repaired before we permanently moved to QLD, and because it wasn't we had to abandon the car and I now have to sell the car via proxy. Had they been upfront with the possibility of a delay I would have slapped a wrecker headlight on it and dealt with the rest of the repairs in QLD.

To be honest, it has been many years since parents made a claim. One claim was a "disabled" person on a motorised scooter running through a busy roundabout and hitting the rear guard of my mum's Commodore. Took two years but NRMA sorted that out (won the case). Oh Police charged my mum with neg driving for doing literally nothing wrong (she paid the fine for some reason). We had problems with the painter not matching the colour right (it was Botanica Mica) but that was between painter and my dad (NRMA preferred repairer), my dad got him to repaint it for free and it was sorted then.

So hearing your story I'm actually not surprised. Were they waiting for Nissan to get the parts or something? They always give it to the cheapest quote if you don't use your preferred and that shop can stuff everyone around.

52 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

They always give it to the cheapest quote if you don't use your preferred and that shop can stuff everyone around.

This is probably where I went wrong... It was their "NRMA approved" repair centre in Rosebery... 

It was a 2000 Toyota Avalon and the story they gave me that they received a guard that was also damaged from a wrecker and I got this news the day before we were moving. This news also came after they had the car for a week and after they first inspected the car two weeks prior. NRMA / IAG took the stance of "we aren't at fault so we aren't doing anything about it"

Now this was all over a sub $5k car, if I had to go through the same process with my old Skyline that I was unreasonably and emotionally attached to I would have properly lost my shit

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2016 at 8:25 AM, salavace said:

Same here.

• 5 months later...