SAU Community

R32 GTR Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Retrofit

Carbonsky

R32 GTR Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Retrofit

So after numerous ridiculous nights driving without adequate lighting in my R32 Skyline. I decided to do something about it. I reached out to TRS customer support and they began to point me in the right direction. I made a few additional calls to a couple of individuals TRS referred me too as they had completed retrofits on a few R32's as well. After these insightful discussions I boiled it down to going with either the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 or the Morimoto Mini DS2 4.0. After numerous recommendations I chose the DS2 4.0! I placed my pre-ordered through TRS and waited patiently for these bad boys to come in. As soon as they arrived it was time to get to work. First of all I must say the quality and design of these are incredible, but they weren't going to install themselves. After staring at them for at least 2 hours and surfing numerous forums on previous retrofits it was apparent that I was not getting this done without hacking at my OEM projector. See the DS2 is significantly smaller and shorter than the OEM projector so I would need a bracket to step up to the OEM placement. What better bracket to manipulate than the OEM. I proceeded to cut the OEM housing leaving only the OEM frame. (Never mind the blocks they came later. Forgot to take a pic of the bracket when I first cut it)image.jpeg

At this point I lined up the DS2 4.0 and used a punch to mark placement of the screws and created and cardboard template to determine what approach I was going to use to secure. image.jpeg

I've seen numerous individuals shave the OEM brackets as thin as possible, trim, drill and separate the new projector to mate in between the fabricated OEM bracket. I chose a different route as I did not want disrupt what I assumed to be a carefully thought out design so I ended up welding blocks (about an 3/4" long and a 1/4"of an inch high) along each corner where I originally marked, then drilled holes, and checked fitment a few times, shaving each block respectively using a small level. image.jpeg

Ensuring fitment between bracket and OEM bezel image.jpeg
I must say final fitment is incredible! secure and as flush as OEM. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Only one issue I caused myself was I forgot to trim the OEM bracket to allow the wiring for the high beam solenoid so I took a Dremel and filed away enough space to allow for the connector to secure into the projector. 
All in all I'm super stoked and can't wait to install on my vehicle.image.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice! I have a few projectors lined to to retro into R32 housings, this is a good sight!

BTW, have you installed it on the car yet? See if the beam lines up with stock halogen. I found on my FX-R installs (no brackets), the projector points too low.

• Like 1

@niZmO_Man

No; I have yet to install on the car. I'm attempting a few other add-ons while the lamp is still apart. Haven't setup the adhesive just yet. I will definitely add some photos upon install. 

I hope to maintain factory position by using the OEM bracket. At this point I'm more concerned about fitting the D2S bulb and igniter into the back of the housing. The mini D2S is shorter than the factory projector. I've considered installing the hardware while everything is apart but that still leaves me with the issue of changing a blown bulb in the future.

Depends on what bulb you get. I have Philips 85122 (OEM) and they've been fine on my car for 3 years. No need to pump more than 35W through them as well.

Also, the Koito OEM bulbs on my Subaru were fine after 5+ years of "outback abuse".

If you get a cheapie, can last anywhere between hours and years.

On 11/4/2016 at 0:22 PM, Carbonsky said:

@niZmO_Man

No; I have yet to install on the car. I'm attempting a few other add-ons while the lamp is still apart. Haven't setup the adhesive just yet. I will definitely add some photos upon install. 

I hope to maintain factory position by using the OEM bracket. At this point I'm more concerned about fitting the D2S bulb and igniter into the back of the housing. The mini D2S is shorter than the factory projector. I've considered installing the hardware while everything is apart but that still leaves me with the issue of changing a blown bulb in the future.

How'd you go with this?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Late reply but I had a unfortunate injury and a few surgeries but bouncing back and finishing up this long over due project IMG_4619.thumb.JPG.cd7ec705792915cd2cedb34f706bf368.JPG

Not sure if I should go with the tint (on the left) or keep stock look... especially since the corners are going to be smoked

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/3/2016 at 9:22 PM, Carbonsky said:

@niZmO_Man

At this point I'm more concerned about fitting the D2S bulb and igniter into the back of the housing. The mini D2S is shorter than the factory projector. I've considered installing the hardware while everything is apart but that still leaves me with the issue of changing a blown bulb in the future.

How did you go about connecting the bulb plug? Did you cut a large hole in the back of the plastic housing ?  Did you seal it somehow? 

Edited by amnash

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/10/2017 at 10:34 PM, Carbonsky said:

Late reply but I had a unfortunate injury and a few surgeries but bouncing back and finishing up this long over due project IMG_4619.thumb.JPG.cd7ec705792915cd2cedb34f706bf368.JPG

Not sure if I should go with the tint (on the left) or keep stock look... especially since the corners are going to be smoked

How/where did you get/install the daytime led strip on the bottom outline