SAU Community

Sell 34R for something Euro?

Looked at those, that's R35 money again. 

Nothing grabs me. I might just put a newer/nicer clutch and some cams and springs in the 34 and leave it at that and see if the market keeps appreciating or starts falling off while I wait to see what happens with the 35 market.  

Edited by ActionDan

I wouldn't sell an appreciating (Quickly) asset for a depreciating asset but that's just me. 34's are going up in value so fast at the moment if i had one i would be holding onto it for quite a while. 

• Like 2

I always find that to be an interesting chat. 

People are asking more for them, sure, but are they really selling for those asking prices? 

I only know of 2 that sold, both fairly tidy, both sold in the 60s, one with basic bolt ons, the other with a fairly decent list of mods, including a rebuild. 

Neither of them was getting 70-80, though if you looked at the more highly modified one versus whats on carsales, he should have been asking 75 easy apparently. 

Go chat to Kristian about his thoughts on 34 prices. The clearances through auction at the moment are eye watering. He literally wrote an article earlier this year showing how it is fast becoming the most collectible Japanese car ever. 

http://www.ironchefimports.com/2016/05/06/iron-chefs-top-twenty-collectible-modern-japanese-cars-part-2/

I've spoken with the Chef at length as I was going to import one at one stage, I bought just before the big price jump as I'd been watching the market closely. 

Clearances at auctions are one thing (as there's demand from other countries, like Canada who are now hotly importing thenm), but local private sales are quite another as we have "stock" on hand.

4 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

I've spoken with the Chef at length as I was going to import one at one stage, I bought just before the big price jump as I'd been watching the market closely. 

Clearances at auctions are one thing (as there's demand from other countries, like Canada who are now hotly importing thenm), but local private sales are quite another as we have "stock" on hand.

The prices here will be driven by overseas need, as more walk away from Japan more people will look to the next largest stock pile of them. Look at what is happening to the 32 and it's only just eligible for import into the US. 

Keep in mind i can also remember a couple of years ago you could get 34's in the 30-40k mark, they certainly are appreciating. Good luck finding anything close to that now. 

3 hours ago, ActionDan said:

I wouldn't buy a brand new car due to depreciation.

Lol warps. Sure, for a track car, but I'm too old to have a hot hatch as my special weekender. I feel the same way about the Evo. Awesome platform but feels like a younger man's ride.

Fair call on depreciation. 

Never too old for a hot hatch. i needed a cheap runabout I could park at train stations and airports and not gaf about wear and tear, so picked up a well used fiesta xr4 for  $5k. Not fast by any stretch of the imagination but it's the most fun I've had behind the wheel in years  (next to track days and rallying).

If I had something faster  (eg amg or rs focus) I'd probably lose my licence. I'll probably replace it next year With a used fiesta ST when my daughter gets her L's. She can either have the xr4 or we trade it for something more sensible for her.

Apart from the whole hot hatch image they have a lot to offer. Then again I've always liked smaller nimble cars. rallying a civic cured me of fwd phobia.