SAU Community

Can you daily an EVO?

Gymkhana

Depends how much you like your licence. They drink alot less than a skyline yet even stock they are rather difficult to avoid speeding in at times.
When stock from a comfort point of view they are very similar to a standard Lancer so very easy to daily.

I drove mine daily for 3 years. Mind you it was close to stock for the majority of the time i had it, then put out roughly 250awkw in the final 6 months prior to selling on a standard exedy heavy duty clutch. Easy to drive, some can get a little clunky depending on whether the transfer case bushes are worn to shit. Very good throttle response, very easy to speed. Cheapish to maintain. Theft rate seems to be climbing for evos though causing insurace prices to be almost equal to a GTR

Edited by Deza3000

12 hours ago, Hadouken said:

Lots of people daily evos. I wouldn't daily mine. I travel 1,000km a week though.

How many k's you doing a week?

And which evo are we talking?

I'm in the same boat, just under 800KM a week. I don't think it's worth it as I will rack up K's far too quickly.

Edited by Gymkhana

Depends on the EVO I reckon. I have a X and with the SST gearbox I think it's the perfect daily and can do a few laps around the track on the weekend.
I do about 500 kms a week and I bought the car new in 2013, it still feels just like it did on day one.
The car is also no stranger to the tracks as it goes to Sandown probably every 3 months and with just basic mods was enough to do a few 1.24/25 laps.
The older EVO's I think feel a lot more raw (and fun), but having to change gears all the time in stop start traffic might start to get a bit tiring a few months down the line...then again, I am probably getting old and soft, hence why I think that.

Have you considered a ralliart? Assuming its just a daily it would be cheaper to run and you wont feel as guilty clocking on a few ks on them, it uses the same evo 10 motor and trans, its just heavily detuned. Or if you're doing 1000ks a week just get a 2013 falcon/commodore, pretty cheap and most cabs run them past 300,000ks.

Edited by Deza3000
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I used my VII as a daily until January when it was stolen, it was a bit rougher than I would have liked (depending on who was with me... got a few complaints about the hugging recaros from ladies with hips).

I just couldn't bare to drive a corolla orollaor something :P No Regrats!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bumping an old thread for others with similar questions. 

Daily an X MR is very nice.

Sat nav, heated seats, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, proximity start and entry, there's a LOT to like.

Are they as fun as the older models?

Not sure, never had the chance to drive an older gen. But, I've now got a second X which I'm not dailying purely to keep the kms down.

Keep in mind, I had a 32 gtr with a china gt42 and a has dog box that I used as a daily, so it all comes down to how comfortable you want to be.....

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 10:50 PM, niZmO_Man said:

Wasn't that the point of them? Especially the 'auto' version? I remember reading about WRX vs. Evo and the Subaru interior/daily drive-ability was praised compared to Evo.

Wrx should be compared to the ralliart lancer.

The evo should be compared to the sti.

Having driven both(of the same era) the sti and evo really are much of a muchness.

But, only driven the sti in a manual, and the evo in the sst("auto").