SAU Community

Pedestrian Safety Help

Pedestrian Safety Help

Hello!

Had to make an account because i have no idea how to tackle this situation i am in. I own a 370gt Coupe, 2009, and the other night i was driving around as i watched 2 kangaroos hop out infront of me and off to the side, but little did i know a 3rd kangaroo would jump into the side of my car!

This made a loud bang and the hood popped up (Pedestrian Safety System). No exterior damage, just the dirt off his body at the end of the drivers side door just before the wheel.

So im just wondering how to get the hood to retract back to its original position and to get rid of the warning light, unsure if i have to go to a Nissan dealer or if there is any other way.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

Unfortunately, those things are like airbags. It's a one-time deal. You need to replace them with new ones.

I'm contemplating unplugging mine and replacing them with little adapters that keep the BCM happy. May not be the legally appropriate thing to do but I don't have a heart to care enough.

You could always ask a dealer for a quote. As for the parts, if you can score them from a wrecked vehicle, you could be in luck but I wouldn't know the probability of that. In which case, grab the part number pertaining to your series and search for it on Google, particularly from Amayama, who seem to be a pretty good source for Jap parts. Failing that, your dealership's spare parts division would be the only other way.

Having recently resolved a problem with having to replace my rear seat, I've found the price from Amayama and the price from Steve Jarvin's spare parts division works out to be pretty much even. I'd rather pay a small percentage more with the local guys, if nothing else, to kick their arse if they got it wrong despite my best description and triple-checking with them.

Thanks for the reply Max! Amayama seems like a good site, thankyou for that!

I just took the car down to a private panel beater i know. He said he can attempt to get rid of the whole system and try to get the bonnet down. I would rather get rid of it rather then have it all setup again, because it is too much of an inconvenience and how often does one hit a pedestrian? Is this a Japanese safety law?

If all that fails, i believe i will head to the dealer. Fingers crossed the bonnet is flush and the system is gone!

Getting the struts out isn't the problem. It'll be the annoying error light in your dash that will piss you off because it's nagging at you that you have them both disconnected. That's where you need a couple of plugs which have little electronic modules within (which I have yet to see for myself and inspect) to fool the system into thinking they're plugged in and ready to go.

I believe this is becoming a standard feature worldwide. My European buddies tell me a lot more modern vehicles are made curvier and with all these fancy features in the interest of pedestrian safety, reducing the risk of them flying through your windscreen, etc. I can't say I agree with the practice but there you go.