SAU Community

Need Advice

nick_r

So I'm currently looking for a car for my P's and I recently went and looked at a manual R34 25GT. The car has been (seems to be) very well looked after. It is currently sitting at 140xxx Kms and is a 99 model.

I myself do not have much experience with mechanics at all however my dad has been into the scene his whole life (motorbikes).

I just want to hear from someone more experienced than me if problems should be expected with this car and if so is it something that I'd be able to work on and learn myself (with the help from the big man)

P.S. I am a newbie to this (obviously) and am just after any guidance.

Cheers.

Hey Nick, welcome to SAU.

In general Skylines kept stock are fairly reliable depending on how they have been treated, especially an NA one. There are a few common problems with them which aren't particularly difficult to diagnose and fix, failing coil packs is a big one. Other than major servicing (timing belt is the big one) the maintenance is easy and even timing belts are straightforward if you have some mechanical skills. 

When buying one check the condition of the rails and I'd also strongly recommend doing a compression test.