SAU Community

Who still daily's their Skyline?

Who still daily's their Skyline?

Who here uses their R31/32/33/34 as their sole form of transport?

With the price and (lack) of availability going through the roof, as well as theft concerns; is anyone still using their car on a daily basis for work/shopping/chores etc.

Up until now I've had two cars - a Vitara runabout and the Skyline as a toy, but with a new job and private car park where I can keep an eye on the car, I might consider only having 1 car from now on. 

So what do you drive and is it a workhorse or a weekender only.

I daily mine. It's only a 33 gtst. Park in a safe private car park at work. I don't like parking at the shops but I do occasionally. I have a viper alarm fitted, a separate immobiliser and some other disabling devices as well as doing other weird shit like unplugging fuel pumps. Just a little paranoid. Lol. Too many thieving scumbags around. Car covers 10- 15k km a year. Im not emotionally attached to the car but I would rather it not get stolen due to the amount of hard work I've put into it. If it was a gtr, I'd probably not be too keen on dailying. GTST = NO f**kS GIVEN. Lol.

I would describe it as a daily driving workhorse/weekend track warrior

• Like 4

If you don't drive your Skyline at least 3 days a week and it's street registered, you are a pussy.

Yes, they cost more, but if you are going to fork over big dollars in insurance, rego, servicing, then why not drive the bloody thing? Shit, a new GT86 is worth what my car is. Are you going to let that sit in the shed?

My 33GTR is my work vehicle and track toy.

Gets serviced every 4000ks max, has a good immobilizer, gets waxed regularly and I always park it on the street, not in car parks.

The thing is that I have always had a shitbox lying around, and I have found that the moment you take the shitbox down the street on an errand you know you have ruined your car with mods. This is a symptom of my life....

• Like 3

No point owning anything if your not enjoying it. But everyone's situation is different 

If you have secure, shaded parking hell yeah daily that bitch yolo.

if you have to park in random street/car parks with baking hot sun all day. And then factor in potential bogans, theft, opening doors, general no regard for another persons belongings, speed bumps, poor roads.

I'd probably leave it at home. Regardless if it's a priceless GTR N1 or some peasants GTST/GTT that the owner has poured all their money into modifying.

but really I'd rather comfort for a daily and all R-chassis lack this, although they are perfect in every way and were ahead of their time. they are sports cars from the 90's lets not lie to ourselves. (disclaimer* I'm sure a R34 GTR M SPEC would be quite comfortable)

Edited by dyl33
  • Like 1

i have finally stopped dailying my 32gtr.

i take a work car at a cost, usually i didn't pay the cost and drove my baby but with a new employer i would have to park it on the street and im just not willing to do that.

the driving it everyday is fine, its the leaving it out all day every day which just dosnt sit well with me.

• Like 3

Yeah like admS15 said, I daily mine and park it at work car park every morning and drive where ever the f**k I want afterwards. Theft isn't a problem in my suburb coz everyone knows who owns it. Just show people respect

3 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I still miss my black R32 Type-M. With an R34 turbo (stock otherwise, including exhaust) it would do 9L/100km in Sydney traffic, was comfy (stock suspension) and had a sunroof!

Girls love a sunroof and no airbag on the dash so they can put their feet up. ;)

• Like 1

We have a R33 sedan as a daily, stock looking (set of v35 coupe rims is about the only mod). Its not an expensive car and I haven't poured hours into modifying it, so I don't mind dailying it. Comp insured and a decent alarm and I'm pretty much ok with leaving it anywhere. I do have secure parking at work though, so its not like its sitting on a street for 8hrs a day.

My Cefiro though is different, still use it for work( securely parked) and weekend drives, but I don't leave it anywhere else where I cant see it.

Edited by CEF33Y

39 minutes ago, Terry_GT-R34 said:

Girls love a sunroof and no airbag on the dash so they can put their feet up. ;)

Yep definitely. Car also came with a colourful double-DIN head unit, with an SD card slot lol, the girlfriend at the time liked it (she could change it to pink). GT-R not so much, seats too huggy, car too harsh and loud blah blah she put up with it though, because GT-R :P.

I have a 95 R33 GTS-T

When I first bought it, dailyed 800km/week, didn't drive it on weekends cause I was paranoid of the "police magnet" stigma (drive to work was odd hours and back roads), parked in an ungated complex right out the front of my unit.

Moved to Sydney (Inner East), no need to drive as a walked everywhere, car was street parked for weeks at a time, often 5-10 minute walk from my house, sometimes I wouldn't see it for a week because it wasn't parked on my route to work, or if I went on holidays (2-3 weeks with no idea if it would still be there), never had any issues other than a few touch-parker incidents. Had an alarm/immobiliser and I always used a steering lock and car cover.

It's back to being my daily again, although much less km's than the first, it's now parked in an underground secure car park (although this aspect of my new place was more so that I could work on the car than for security), it gets parked at the train station once a week, shopping centers, etc. no issues yet.

It's for this reason I could never justify a "nice" car or spending money on the aesthetics of this one (paint, dent repair, etc). The GTS-T perfectly suits this, I just keep the interior nice and engine well serviced and mechanically sound and don't care about the exterior, especially since I've been tracking it as well.

• Like 1

I have a R33 GTST and I daily mine, do around 350km/week. Goes everywhere like uni, work, shopping, beach, roadtrips. Bought a Series2 because I wanted Airbags and ABS for a daily.

It gets parked in a gated driveway at night but that's pretty much it for secure parking. Haven't had any issues over the last 3ish years apart from a couple of rear endings. Theft is always a concern but hey that's what insurance is for. 

r33 GTS-T.

Not a daily drive. I have a couple of other run around cars to use.

If you have a white collar job, driving a loud car to appointments isn't professional (unless its a Porsche or something). Particularly with the "hoon" stigma associated with Skylines.

I enjoy driving it sparingly, but with whats done to it I could never enjoy driving it daily. Why stress about keeping an eye on your mirrors, looking out for police and QLD transport- no thanks. I already have too many grey hairs as is.

• 1 month later...

I daily my 1998 ENR34 GT-FOUR sedan. It has a Stagea neo rb25det in it, 33gtr 5sp, nismo twin plate, and currently stock R34 GTR suspension.

It looks like shit at the moment, a few dings and a dodgy white bonnet, but I seriously love driving it! Am slowly improving things.

Sedan is nice for some things, I have two kid seats in the back for instance.

• Like 1