SAU Community

Ken's z31 I wanna go fast build

Ken's z31 I wanna go fast build

I am Ken from the Seattle area USA. I bought my 1985 300zx GLL non turbo 5 speed in 2011 with the impression it had blown head gaskets which only an RB  swap would remedy. I replaced the bad thermostat and drove it for 4 years.

Opportunities arose and I purchased a wrecked 87 300zx with what I assumed was a stock rb20 silver top and 5 speed swap for $800 usd. Car had been sitting for 6 years after the owner wrecked.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Engine was siezed so I started to take it apart. What I found blew me away. 

Internal:

.015" over custom Wiesco pistons

spool rods

full balanced rotating assembly oil snout to pressure plate 

spec stage 3 6 puck sprung clutch and flywheel 

acl bearings 

hks step 1 cams 264/264 

adjustable cam  gears and greddy timing belt

bolt on:

rc racing 750cc injectors 

precission 5557e dual ball bearing with billet wheel 

z32 maf 

aeromotive fpr 

Nistune type 2 board 

The list of parts well exceeded my $800 paid for the siezed block. 

I discovered the heard was ported by a hydroplane mechanic. 

I have no idea as to what power the car made or what psi the tune was done at. All the info I have is the car ran for two weeks and then it was totaled.

Welded in a nipple for the iacc and Aacv as well as a flange for the synapse engineering synchronic bov.

Also a 3 core s13 radiator modded to fit and a custom made shroud for the 14" fan. Unsure on cfm but the shop who built the car for the previous owner had used an oem vgz31 radiator and shroud with this fan tucked inside very crudely. Lower coolant hose is fitted with a temp switch for the fan relay.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Also when the previous owner of my 85 had taken the car in for diagnostic the brilliant mechanic decided to dump head gasket stop leak into the system and I did not want to chance the  heater core to fail and fill my fresh rb and radiator with stop leak. 

My Z has modded knuckles, running s13 Lcas and tie rods with the rack moved forward 25mm to prevent over centering. Of course I have no pictures of my own parts. S13 coil overs front and rear and s14 tension rods. Welded diff and poly bushings but one day will have s13 subframe.

I will attempt to snag some photos in the day light. 

Edited by Zrbsliding