SAU Community

Ken's z31 I wanna go fast build

• 2 years later...

Funny how life happens and projects get the back burner and then the fire gets lit. 
I now have a Cast forward Facing plenum and lq9 coil packs. I got the car to fire but it ran terribly. Would idle around 13.5 afr then go to 11.5-10.5 and choke. Swapped around coils and even got some known working ones off a friends r32 which seemed to help but I wasn’t convinced the igniter wasn’t bad or Ecu was the issue. Since I’m running all aftermarket parts figured spark upgrade was needed.

I also found a mess with how the shop build by the original owner of the swap had made of the harness and wiring. I wish we had skylines in junk yards here because the loom may need replacing.

3A7C6FCF-83C8-4C07-A974-3E1A2BEABADA.jpeg

59766AE4-7AA7-46C9-BBEB-354706A8537A.jpeg

Edited by Zrbsliding

36 minutes ago, Zrbsliding said:

Funny how life happens and projects get the back burner and then the fire gets lit. 
I now have a Cast forward Facing plenum and lq9 coil packs. I got the car to fire but it ran terribly. Would idle around 13.5 afr then go to 11.5-10.5 and choke. Swapped around coils and even got some known working ones off a friends r32 which seemed to help but I wasn’t convinced the igniter wasn’t bad or Ecu was the issue. Since I’m running all aftermarket parts figured spark upgrade was needed.

I also found a mess with how the shop build by the original owner of the swap had made of the harness and wiring. I wish we had skylines in junk yards here because the loom may need replacing.

3A7C6FCF-83C8-4C07-A974-3E1A2BEABADA.jpeg

59766AE4-7AA7-46C9-BBEB-354706A8537A.jpeg

If you have a spark issue wideband will go lean.

Good info, one would think the lack of spark but still having fuel would make it go rich. Car has nistune but I’m not convinced the ecu isn’t damaged from sitting for 6 years out in the elements from condensation. We get a lot of rain here.

5 hours ago, Zrbsliding said:

Good info, one would think the lack of spark but still having fuel would make it go rich. Car has nistune but I’m not convinced the ecu isn’t damaged from sitting for 6 years out in the elements from condensation. We get a lot of rain here.

It is counter intuitive, but not having combustion take place means there is heaps of o2 left over, rather than most of it being used up from the burning of fuel. I’m sure someone can explain that better!

j