SAU Community

R32 GTR vs R33 GTR Speed Sensor

HIKAR1

R32 GTR vs R33 GTR Speed Sensor

Hi Guys,

Purchased a R32gtr gearbox with osgiken gearset and upgraded transfer case clutch plate, going to be installed onto a R33 gtr. The speed sensor from R33 is electric (which I need to retain) whereas the R32 is cable. When I pulled both off the gearbox, R32 red cog/pinion has 20 teeth and the R33 white cog/pinion has 19 teeth.

Read somewhere that you can straight swap them, though the pinion being smaller in the R33, as the shaft is offset and can still mesh correctly?

Can someone verify?

TIA

index.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread as I’ve had some trouble finding the information I need. I have a late model R32 GTR(back of cluster is blue, not brown) and I’m running the Haltech Pro plugin. I would like to use the Racepak IQ3 logger but I need a speedometer solution.

Can the R33 speed sensor be installed in the R32 without modification? If not, what other options do I have?

Thank you in advance.

I'm assuming you intend to remove the original dash then? If not (I haven't) the orginal dash provides the speed signal to ECU then to IQ3

I can't answer the speedo drive question for sure. I'm surprised the 32 and 33 ones are different as per the first post.

The speedo sensors are interchangeable as the 32 vs 33 speedo drive gear within the transfer cases are the same.

Ages ago I thought the transfers were actually different because of this but they are not.

Thank you guys. I had intended to gut an OEM cluster to mount the racepak but I could always just pull the lights from the OEM cluster so it doesn't distract me and run the racepak in front of it. 

I do have a friend with a full R33 drivetrain so I could always try the R33 sensor to confirm that it will go right in without issue.