SAU Community

Crank Collar Install

Crank Collar Install

Hi guys, 

I'm looking to install an aftermarket oil pump, sump and head studs to try and extend the life of my standard 26 bottom end. However as my block is an 89 it needs the extended crank collar to run the aftermarket oil pump. Is it possible to pull the crank out and install the crank collar and put it back in without having to do a rebuild on the bottom end? 

Cheers

Of course it's possible.  Just disassemble, clean, do the collar install, then reassemble with the same bearings in the same spots.

The only trouble with that plan is when you have it all in pieces and look at it and go....."gee, I really don't want to put it back together with the bearings in that state", or "WTF!?!?!  How did it keep running with that broken?!!?!!111onejuan!?"

Haha I can see what you're saying. Does the crank  require machining to fit the crank collar? 

I suppose the bearings are right there and aren't a great expense to change, are they as simple as just old ones put and new ones in, or is there machining required to ensure all the clearances are correct. 

13 minutes ago, arsnic_apple said:

Haha I can see what you're saying. Does the crank  require machining to fit the crank collar? 

Sure does. If you still want to go ahead you may as well measure everything up to see whether it is worth putting back together as is with just rings and bearings or you are looking at a complete rebuild (its 27 years old after all).

The motor has only done 100,000kms so I wouldn't think that it would be too worn. If it were only going to cost me a couple of hundred extra I'd be happy to throw some new bearings in at the same time (would it really be worth putting new rings in?). I'm just not keen on spending thousands and thousands on a full rebuild right now (forged pistons, rods etc etc). 

If it aint broke don't fix it. That goes for the oil pump upgrade too. Save the $ and if the time ever comes that a rebuild is needed, do it all properly then. Meanwhile don't rev the thing to the limiter all day long and it should last a fair while longer. It hasn't gone for 27 years because its weak.

• Like 2

The point of doing this exercise is to prolong the life of the motor and not have to do a full rebuild. It also hasn't gone 27 years with a big single hanging off the side haha.

There's a few guys over here who have done the same mods and made big power and their motors have survived a long time with a decent beating, although they didn't have to do the crank as they had later model motors. 

I have an e85 set up that I'm about halfway through putting in at the moment and was looking to do some supporting mods so it doesn't just die.  When the time comes for a proper rebuild I'll be able to reuse the sump and oil pump anyway so isn't a loss there. 

New bearings, rings and a light hone etc will not cost the world. If that's all it needs than not so bad, if it needs more than chances are you have found an issue in time to stop the engine from having a failure. To me its a no brainer. If your pulling the engine to do the crank collar. May as well rip the head off (which hopefully you were going to do anyway to replace the studs/head gasket). By the time the heads off and the crank is out, you only have pistons and rods in the block anyway, so I say rip it apart and do the bearings and rings at a minimum.

Much easier knowing that its all fresh then thinking, everytime you drive the car 'hmmm maybe I should have changed that'