SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

14 hours ago, timmy_89 said:

Mine aren't quite this lumpy anymore, still but definitely more noticeable then Johnny's "street" car :P

In your case its probably just a misfire as you forgot to plug in an injector :laugh:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to start to the car today, has been offline for nearly 2 weeks.

Started first go, and yes the tacho is going mental - either it's going into the bin OR I find money out of my arse for a dash :D  Also for those with a good eye, yes the FPR shows 3bar with the vac on, but weirdly enough when the car warms up it will drop to about 2.6 bar, i.e. 3bar without the vacuum attached.

Note the popping and volume changes are not from the car itself, it's my phone (LG G6) doing weird shit.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Flex Sensor Fridays... 

Deleted the karnt, had fuel pressure fluctuation issues and turns out this was the problem.

Because I run a Wallahbro 460L there's a fair amount of fuel being circulated back through the return. With the flex sensor in line, I couldn't screw down the fuel pressure less than 2.6 bar (that's with the entire bolt pulled out of the FPR).

Now that it is out, I can drop fuel pressure below 2 bar.

For now it's out until I re-think my fuel system through.

20180330_134528.thumb.jpg.2295fc57d93db8a3000aa948c1a4c148.jpg

not a bad idea :)

But I'm planning to do it between the surge tank's overflow back into the main tank, as the lift pump I'm planning to use would be only a DW200 so there won't be much of a problem where as now I'm using a Wallabro 460L and it's flowing quite a bit of fuel around the system.

1 hour ago, Robzilla32 said:

But if you do that, is the sensor measurement still accurate enough?

Put a 1-2psi valve in the by pass. That way the sensor gets all the fuel it needs and as soon as there is a slight rise in pressure, the excess goes via the by pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

not a bad idea

But I'm planning to do it between the surge tank's overflow back into the main tank, as the lift pump I'm planning to use would be only a DW200 so there won't be much of a problem where as now I'm using a Wallabro 460L and it's flowing quite a bit of fuel around the system.

What if there is very little/no fuel coming back from the surge tank. Sensor gets no fuel flow, reading goes stupid, engine doesn’t know what ethanol content it is. Not a smart place for it IMO. Have seen it on another car and funnily enough it got moved.

8 hours ago, Piggaz said:

What if there is very little/no fuel coming back from the surge tank. Sensor gets no fuel flow, reading goes stupid, engine doesn’t know what ethanol content it is. Not a smart place for it IMO. Have seen it on another car and funnily enough it got moved.

Good point, there will be times the surge overflow will dribble out fuel. If that's the case I'll just pop it on the feed side, tank -> lift pump -> flex sensor -> surge tank.

My car had fuel pressure issues initially after putting in the new Walbro 450, it flows _a lot_ of fuel. My workshop spent a bit of time troubleshooting it and ended up swapping the stock reg for a Magnaflow, which settled it down.

Good riddance of that flex sensor, who needs anything but ethanol anyway ;)

I had fuel pressure issue with Walbro 460, mine was with a restrictor in the factory fuel hoses (R34 non turbo hose setup). I still have the stock jet pump in the tank too, going to drill that out a bit soon too.
You have a radium venturi dont you dose?

Just a stock venturi Phil, that will stay as I will be running a DW200 lift pump in future.

I have a Radium Fuel Pulsation Damper (FPD) which has helped with fueling on cruise areas of the map. Before I had to dial in heaps of fuel to remove the sputtering and now those issues are some what gone. I haven't had the chance to drive the car after the flex sensor was removed but I can only imagine it would run a bit better as the FPR is actually working properly now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dr phil said:

Did that replace the ones in the engine bay? There are two right - one bolted to the side on the return line, and one on the fuel rail?

Yes that is correct only for the R34 GT-t, R33 GTS/-t only had them post fuel rail.

Mine is deleted because I placed my flex sensor there initially but after all the issues its a straight hose from the FPR to the return.

• Like 1