SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

12 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

Also, I've been meaning to ask... You're changing turbo due not suitable for skid pan, but did you end up taking it to a circuit to see how it went? I thought that was the main goal?

I think I will be doing more skid pan days than track days coming up next year, the current turbo setup doesn't come on till 4300rpm (which isn't that bad for something potentially making close to 420~430kW). I was hoping to get the same level of boost threshold as my old billet Hypergear ATR43SS2 with this turbo however it doesn't. Also the transient on this turbo is much lazier than the SS2, then again this turbo's turbine side is essentially a GT35 where as the SS2 is a GT30.

My future goal is, early torque and early boost like my old SS2 setup but with about 420kW+, hence I've ordered (still waiting) a GTX3576R Gen 2 with a 1.01 divided rear housing.

• Like 4

No real update, started car 1st time in 3 weeks. Started first go, still 20 seconds before it builds oil pressure. 

Revved it a bit, dosed it a few times. Turned it off, next week will be going to my mate's shop and ripping off the sump and oil pump. Fingers crossed nothing catastrophic and only a cracked housing. Have a new housing to go back on with the existing Spool Import gears. 

After that, maybe drop a set then back home to remove the turbo setup. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

So some updates (no photos though, broke my "waterproof" phone when I jumped into a pool).

Removed sump, oil pump, oil pump housing to find that the innards were all scored and pitted as though something was ingested, however the sump and pick up appeared to be spotless.

Billet gears inside all damaged and just for a sanity check, decided to measure the tolerance between the crank snout (made by Spool Imports) and the Billet Oil pump gears and discovered a whooping 0.22mm tolerance each direction (not sure intentional). Have contacted Spool but they're off till the 14th of Jan.

Also got a call from Sparesbox yesterday and they're now (after 4 weeks) unable to supply me with the GTX3576R Gen 2, instead they've offered a GTX3582R Gen 2 instead, beggars can't be choosers so I said yes.

• Like 2

Hoist life, seems like natural habitat for this sietbok.

20190104_180105.thumb.jpg.03eaa88591acb4a2ab9c05e36263a0e9.jpg

A bit of skills involved but managed to remove sump, and oil pump with motor in the car ?

20190104_180119.thumb.jpg.e86cf761212fd0698f47f7549cca8b88.jpg

And yeah here's what billet gears looked like after I started having oil start up issues.

Sump, filter, pickup all clean. So must have been from the start I assume.

20190104_180149.thumb.jpg.fd24f486b5c0cafd43ea8827b519130a.jpg

20190104_180211.thumb.jpg.3fa73948835bb16835f9a7070d39531b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Damn 0_0

The regret of not stripping the car and parting it when the original exploded was a big mistake and regret. I could be in a F30 335i at this moment talking about Stage 1/2/3 tunes using my phone and getting the latest cold air intake and yet lap a comfortable 1m8s around Wakefield with some decent tyres.

Oh wells, at least I have the Tiguan which ALWAYS delivers

• Like 1