SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

20 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Man these low km RB25s are less reliable than a VW motor. Part of me is saying a C63 AMG is more reliable lol

Yeah nah, you need more RB in your life but I won't argue against a C63 either. Do both, lol :)

• Like 1

Funny you say that, I own a RB25 but mainly tune SR20s lol.

Rebuild plans so far, still indecisive about a few items:

Spool rebuild kit with the CP Pistons, Spool Sump, Camtech 264 mini-brappers, Performance Springs

Now the indecisive items:

Spool spline oil pump gears with an N1 pump, and Spool head drain.

Also my thoughts, if I run the head drain there wouldn't real need to run oil restrictor right? or wrong?

• Like 1

Yeah looks like I'll get the Nitto pump, it's only a bee's dick more than the Spool spline billet gears and a N1 Oil Pump housing.

I was trying to make the motor bullet proof, and that means rev limiter abuse proof like 1JZ and 2JZ, but I've read that the poor harmonics of the RB crank itself is enough to cause the crank snout to move and exceed it's normal circular travel cause any form of spline driven pump to misalign and go chomp. "Apparently" through Facebook whispers Nitto did the whole spline drive thing and abandoned it because it worked out more reliable keeping that Nissan oil pump drive style.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

How that limiter behaves has a bit of an impact too, if only you knew a good tuner. 

I do, he is me lol. Like Scarface once said, I trust me lol.

My limiter has a soft cut at 7400rpm followed by a hard cut at 7700rpm with timing pulled before it hits the limiter.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Yeah looks like I'll get the Nitto pump, it's only a bee's dick more than the Spool spline billet gears and a N1 Oil Pump housing.

I was trying to make the motor bullet proof, and that means rev limiter abuse proof like 1JZ and 2JZ, but I've read that the poor harmonics of the RB crank itself is enough to cause the crank snout to move and exceed it's normal circular travel cause any form of spline driven pump to misalign and go chomp. "Apparently" through Facebook whispers Nitto did the whole spline drive thing and abandoned it because it worked out more reliable keeping that Nissan oil pump drive style.

This is an interesting point. You'd think Nissan spent a great deal of effort on engineering something reliable, but I guess something went slightly wrong with the crank. Even after 20 years, Nitto found that sticking with Nissan's final design choice was the 'best'. I guess all those Group C experiences didn't go to waste :P

BTW, what about Reimax gears vs. Nitto pump?

Have done a bit of reading on the spline drives, they seem to be used in the UK a fair bit.

Think someone on here (in the build threads somewhere) is doing a build with the spline, and put up the fitting instructions. I think it mentioned removing the dowels that locate the oil pump to the block, nip up the bolts, rotate the crank a few times (guess to "centre" the splines) then torque bolts to spec.