SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

Ended up getting PL Fabrications to modify the 350GT pedal as I wasn't too happy with the pedal position from my quick and dirty vice and mallet approach.

Closer to OEM positioning now 😁

Subframe weld in plates, bushes, diff bushes and LCA bushes came today too. Whole subframe coming out soon for a big refresh and bracing. No traction excuses here! Close to 500kW and hooking up is my plan 🚤

IMG-20211117-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20211117-WA0009.jpg

• Like 3

It does make the rear end stiffer, as does solid bushings etc, but as part of this job you would tuck the subframe up into the car more and adjust the angle of the whole thing to improve roll centre and anti-squat geometry.

Silvia was a lot more planted in the rear after I did that (but with very little power, so we'll see what I think with new engine). 

The big change honestly for me was all the new bushes. I didn't only do the subframe, I did every single bush in every location that whiteline or superpro offer. This was an expensive undertaking but man the car drives like it's new.

It's not hyperbole, it drives like it is a new vehicle. Is it better performing? Lol not really probably, but does it provide enjoyment that your 20+ year old car drives like it is factory fresh? Yes it provides enjoyment thus I'll put the 'worth it' stamp on it.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 11:46 PM, admS15 said:

500KW you know what that means. Time for samsonas. 

LOL... well when the box does go BANG, I might look at either a DCT or ZF. I prefer the ZF approach as it seems more nicer to drive, and a bit more accessible (replaceable each time a box grenades).

@KinkstaahI'm probably heading down the same path, if the OEM bush hasn't been replaced (yet) it will end up being some form of new arm. Rear end already has Hardrace camber arms, traction arms and tie rod arms/ends (HICAS deleted). Front to rear all ball joints have been replaced too.

Front wise, all I need to do now is replace the front lower control arm bushes and install an adjustable upper control arm and it should be sweet!

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Close to 500kW and hooking up is my plan

hmm, in that order? I thought you were married? :P

ZF for surrree I assume they are easier/cheaper to find.

* edit * so i replaced the air filter in my hatch with a standard Mann one. Now the B48 doses slightly... I'm getting bad ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fan mounting solution, no more straps through core shit. And the OEM condenser/overheat fan is too thick and doesn't flow much air so was removed yonks ago.

Mock up fan used, a Davies Craig 12" in the way.

IMG-20211118-WA0004.thumb.jpg.f40f75947ad581b7a12c2c19244b48c3.jpg

IMG-20211118-WA0006.thumb.jpg.9eb22dd3f58c1ae1c366fb36bd49982f.jpg

IMG-20211118-WA0002.thumb.jpg.1b98c27fa0c0c3620380565f7e3fabce.jpg

Catch can time, needed the cnuto to be big. What PL Fab came up with was about 5.2L, it will be drained back to the sump with a ball valve too. Street duties no drain, track work will drain. New washer bottle will also be tucked on the side where the OEM coolant bottle was.

IMG-20211119-WA0009.thumb.jpg.26cdf4a31375e555701605d41466fe2b.jpg

IMG-20211119-WA0012.thumb.jpg.a2bc114ed32791f58bba66d0ad61f0b3.jpg

IMG-20211119-WA0020.thumb.jpg.49d2be867f0123ce7c30888bbffeb5ff.jpg

Fuark I feel poor looking at this.

• Like 6

Unfinished state because some shop I ordered fittings sent my fabricator the wrong things.

Small delay but what's a day or two in comparison to a 11 months of a non functional car 😂

Side box thingy is the new washer bottle.

At some stage will have a filter element shoved in there (yes I'm going to the dark side, no more plumbed back catch, although it shouldn't be too hard in future, just will look aids with a hose across the motor).

IMG-20211122-WA0004.thumb.jpg.81ae0f081976ab7709c5300012f4395f.jpg

IMG-20211122-WA0008.thumb.jpg.709922c6a63cadad476b171e37031308.jpg

• Like 1

Now with fittings, also forgot to mention the oil filter block has been relocated and a new bracket made. Once everything is complete, it will be powder coated black.

I'm going the OEM looking theme, raw plenum but with black pipe work and black other things. Keeps it OEM+++++++++ if you know what I mean.

image.thumb.png.55f039dfc00f53c536da76b8f1cf6858.png

• Like 6