SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

On 21/01/2022 at 6:25 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Will catch on fire, rated to ~200°C only

When was the lsdt time your bonnet was at 200°c

I put some under my bonnet and it good to go

I actually used a naked flame to seal the edges after trimming 

• 2 weeks later...

Home time, it was really strange driving such an unrefined car, I even turned on the wipers a few times on the way back.

Last time I drove it on the street was back in October 2020 before the motor went bang with the old Autosalon Shitbox Purple paint job and today it felt like I hopped into someone else's car to drive back (especially weird feeling as I took out the bucket seat as it was dumped in an industrial complex for a few months).

American JDM purists will hate me, I powder coated that GReddy strut brace black 😂

IMG-20220205-WA0014.thumb.jpg.2ae969624d3bcfcb10b918ca5e81f01d.jpg

PXL_20220205_055015467.thumb.jpg.321777de961919d979bf1293699c3680.jpg

• Like 8

Now trying to resuscitate the Optima D34 deep cycle battery but looks like it's forked. Different workshops just left the car connected and the alarm/dashcam, etc. all slowly drained the battery till it was dead flat.

The cells have probably all sulphated hence it got stupid hot when I drove it home and started to vent hydrogen lololol.

It has been on the CTEK for 3 days, however won't go past Step 3 of the charge program.

Might try out these Fullriver HC44 or HC50 batteries, been reading on 4WD forums they're better built and better value than the Optima batteries. 

On 09/02/2022 at 7:30 PM, Duncan said:

Run the charger in power supply mode for a couple of hours and see if that shocks it out of dead. The smart chargers decide not to charge if they think the battery is not ready for a charge.

What Duncan says or what I do is attach another battery to the charger at the same time (or just connect a jump starter to the battery at the same time and turn it on) as it needs a positive charge to "excite the diodes" within the charger and make it charge.  If it doesn't come back to life after that, she fooked!

Awesome to see your baby home!  Don't you be whingin about it feeling wierd to drive, right indicators and so forth.  I've been driving VAG's for the last 10 years whilst my shitter is off the road so imagine how THAT is going to feel (IF I ever drive it again that is.....).

Skid vid didn't load either for some reason?  Makes me think that car is now a garage queen.  Pics on Insta, car shows and all that....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had issues before when ctek wont start a charge and I use an old 12v charger on it first, but that's just to detect and start charging, never had an issue where it stops at stage 3. 

My MX5 or something model has a rejuvenate program, does yours? 

Ditch the battery, get a new lighter one otherwise. 

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

My 5 amp Ctek won't bring back a dead flat battery, my 6 amp supercheap one does though

I only use the Ctek as a tender for my bike

I deal with alot of flat plant and truck batteries at work, whilst cheap, the super cheap auto brand one work well

I've had one getting bashed around at work for years reviving plant and truck batteries that weren't isolated and which have sat around for months unused but still connected

• Like 1

yeah I think the expensive ones are too smart. they decide there is nothing there to charge when the battery is very flat so you need to just get some juice into it through an old fashioned method first. Obviously they are a good thing once you get to a full battery because they more carefully manage the volts and amps when it is getting right up there

• Like 1

On 09/02/2022 at 7:30 PM, Duncan said:

Run the charger in power supply mode for a couple of hours and see if that shocks it out of dead. The smart chargers decide not to charge if they think the battery is not ready for a charge.

The battery does hold enough charge to start the car, I actually started at the shop and in the driveway (when I stalled it lolol).

It just got ripping hot when I got home (signs of a sulphated battery) and discharged to like 10V by the afternoon.

On 10/02/2022 at 8:55 AM, Shoota_77 said:

What Duncan says or what I do is attach another battery to the charger at the same time (or just connect a jump starter to the battery at the same time and turn it on) as it needs a positive charge to "excite the diodes" within the charger and make it charge.  If it doesn't come back to life after that, she fooked!

Awesome to see your baby home!  Don't you be whingin about it feeling wierd to drive, right indicators and so forth.  I've been driving VAG's for the last 10 years whilst my shitter is off the road so imagine how THAT is going to feel (IF I ever drive it again that is.....).

Skid vid didn't load either for some reason?  Makes me think that car is now a garage queen.  Pics on Insta, car shows and all that....

Yeah that's what I told the fabricator to do to wake up the battery - which he did and got to to charge on his shop charger (probably killed the battery further too by over suppling current to it when it was dead). Skd video once I've tuned it :) 

On 10/02/2022 at 10:00 AM, ActionDan said:

I've had issues before when ctek wont start a charge and I use an old 12v charger on it first, but that's just to detect and start charging, never had an issue where it stops at stage 3. 

My MX5 or something model has a rejuvenate program, does yours? 

Ditch the battery, get a new lighter one otherwise. 

RECOND mode is not recommended for AGM, will torch the cells!

I'm thinking of getting a Fullriver HC44 or HC50. I kind of like the idea of Lithium, however most on the market are not designed for cranking. Sure you see them used on EVOs and Hondas, but remember they're a 4 banger, so it's a bit easier on the starter and power consumption.

It's been going for 2 days now, still stuck on Stage 3 - meaning it's not holding charge long enough for the charger to go to the next charge Stage.

Maybe it's time for a new battery, barely even used this battery but yeah AGMs don't like getting discharged to 0% :(