SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

On 24/02/2022 at 12:49 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Walked in, walked out $550 poorer.

I now have new bonnet/hood insulation 😂

Amayama couldn't source one, Kudos couldn't either, even tried EFI Solutions but somehow Skyline Spares could so yeah, sent it and bought it.

This is more expensive than a coacine addiction.

PXL_20220224_014744718.jpg

Different than 33 GTR right ? Also try JP car parts for stuff. They've sourced things for me Amayama hasn't been able to get or said was discontinued.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 2:47 PM, BK said:

Different than 33 GTR right

It is a bit different, however both are same same in what they do and how they mount.

I haven't even opened the box yet, just added to my parts museum to install one day :D 

I must admit, I didn't really try very hard to locate it - but thanks for the tip with JP Car Parts, will try them next time I need more replacement parts for the shit box.

One sensor issues at a time, worked out why my oil temp was reading out of whack.

Turns out when you run a temperature sensors on a SP Input instead of an AV Input the internal pull up is 10k Ohms not 1k Ohms. This means the standard calibration table cannot be used and needs to be offset.

Haltech did supply me a new calibration table to suit, however advised that the resolution will be reduced.

To fix this small issue, I decided to move the EMAP input to SPI2 and move the Oil Temp input to AVI10 (didn't do this initially as I used the OEM power steering input and pinned it to the OEM AFM and it all sat on the main 24 pins connector).

Instead of cutting, crimping and shrinking I decided to swap it on the ECU side AMP plugs. How good are these AMP plugs? No need for any fancy thin depin tools, etc.? Anyhow was a 5 minute job and hello full range and full resolution oil temperature.

PXL_20220226_110553282.thumb.jpg.0426a9eccdb2dca1fbbe9b4fb1c78f43.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, be really careful with depinning those AMP connectors....I find them an absolute arsehole to work with. The tabs on the locking cap break easily then you are left with a connector that is almost impossible to seat back in properly locked. I ended up buy 2 new ones out of the US (Haltech would not supply) for a fortune.

Also, they are very fiddly with seating the pins at the right depth, initially is OK but if you repin something you have to make sure every wire is still seated properly as they can back out. Pretty much every other style of connector I've worked with is easier, except for those POS pull through ones like in the pressure senders.

*edit* cancel the locking clip rant, that is a different type of AMP lock they used on the smartwire. The one in your pic looks much better (maybe they redesigned after issues)

Edited by Duncan
clarification
  • Like 1

You're probably thinking of this style of Tyco connectors, these are a complete cnut to get right as per your experiences.

The other end to the plug and play adaptor uses these and yes, I've ended up just wiring direct to ECU instead and bypassing them as they're a cnut to work with 😂

images.thumb.jpeg.dd359b65a7d822ad9ebcf4283677f6dd.jpeg

yeah those are have a crappy lock too, but I meant these ones 

rpk-810-cn-amp23_xl.jpg

Same pins and similar body to what you have but the red piece does the locking and is brittle. PITA.

Deutsch is the ones when you have a choice, even their big multi pin connectors are great to work with. Expensive tho.

• Sad 1

On 27/02/2022 at 11:33 AM, Duncan said:

yeah those are have a crappy lock too, but I meant these ones 

rpk-810-cn-amp23_xl.jpg

Same pins and similar body to what you have but the red piece does the locking and is brittle. PITA.

Deutsch is the ones when you have a choice, even their big multi pin connectors are great to work with. Expensive tho.

I know that plug, great to build once and never look at again lol.

On 27/02/2022 at 6:09 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You're probably thinking of this style of Tyco connectors, these are a complete cnut to get right as per your experiences.

The other end to the plug and play adaptor uses these and yes, I've ended up just wiring direct to ECU instead and bypassing them as they're a cnut to work with 😂

images.thumb.jpeg.dd359b65a7d822ad9ebcf4283677f6dd.jpeg

Yes I also hate, and have replaced the entire auxiliary connector before. Depinning it a nightmare.