SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

Just ordered a new 10bar pressure sensor, time to get this car to the dyno me thinks....

And shout out to @soviet_merlin @r32-25t for pointing out moron here (me) posted up my address in a screenshot of parts I'm about to order. Thanks @niZmO_Man for deleting it :)

Derp...

In other news, Birrong Automotive has a hub dyno now that I can use. Means no more wheel spin and over strapping (this causes power loss and tyre wear).

• Like 2

Took months to sort this out, just time/motivation/priorities but managed to replace the stuffed Haltech/Ti Automotive 10bar pressure sensor with an EFI Solutions 10bar stainless steel sensor.

Hopefully it lasts longer than the previous one? I was going to replace the faulty sensor with a Bosch item, however interwebs users reckon the diaphragm dies and you'll have fluid pissing out of the connector. Wasn't keen on seeing an oil fountain so just replaced with something similar with the same connector. 

Sensor check appears good now, also decided to stuff about with the Ignition Zero Demand table to give the car more street credit at the lights, will start it up on the weekend and record a video to prove I'm cool with braps lol.

PXL_20220510_111746456.thumb.jpg.a7dbccfeb24ff96b2cf0399873a3d953.jpg

PXL_20220510_112245073.thumb.jpg.4085e8f2f6b4bcfb8f2cce7504b9f74b.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/05/2022 at 4:47 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hmmm you're right, I'll pull down dash cam footage 😊

For some reason the dash cam didn't record on the way there :( 

I only gate video, super short is when I entered the tunnel - I'll get better footage soon (ignore the choice of music)

• Like 3

On 03/05/2022 at 6:38 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Just ordered a new 10bar pressure sensor, time to get this car to the dyno me thinks....

Birrong Automotive has a hub dyno now that I can use. Means no more wheel spin and over strapping (this causes power loss and tyre wear).

Nice, if you haven't yet - hub dynos ftmfw, I have no idea how guys have been struggling with rolling dynos for so long and it's nice seeing Oz workshops etc getting over the ripping on Kiwis for using them because they read high and joining the dark side.   Steady state and repeatable tuning is so good, especially knowing that unexpected "not the gains I was expecting here" etc question marks can be linked to issues as opposed to wondering if it's just to do with tyre/roller interfaces etc.   The numbers will be a bit bigger than non-US roller dynos but that's not what it's about.

Look forward to seeing what this thing does on send, it is a cool setup and definitely got some potential.  Good luck (y) 

• Like 2

They can of course be configured every which way (like any dyno) so if you're trying to compare to old mate competing dyno you can tailor it to suit, most of the regular hub dynos here in Melb at least read very similar to roller dynos. This is just going from same car on multiple dyno days with no changes etc.

But ofc, given that - It's a tuning tool only, etc etc. Do a run on the same thing before and after for actual comparable results of any change blablabla. 

On 01/06/2022 at 10:32 AM, Kinkstaah said:

They can of course be configured every which way (like any dyno) so if you're trying to compare to old mate competing dyno you can tailor it to suit, most of the regular hub dynos here in Melb at least read very similar to roller dynos. This is just going from same car on multiple dyno days with no changes etc.

That's kinda funny, that kind of thing has been said in the past (SAEJ1349 correction results in lower readings than some others, all legit - just different effects) and while the hub dynos do read higher still usually, the difference is NOT as much as people like to convince themselves.   

It seems to be less of a thing that comes up now that hub dynos are being used more in Oz as well, people realising that it isn't automatically +100kw or whatever.  But yeah as you say, just a tuning tool afterall - you gotta use the data in context for tracking sensible expectations and improvements.

On 31/05/2022 at 2:43 PM, Lithium said:

I have no idea how guys have been struggling with rolling dynos for so long and it's nice seeing Oz workshops etc

I suppose it was more so a speed constraint for shops, hub dynos take more time for you to load the car where as a roller you just hit the dyno brake drive the car on, a few straps and off you go. This means you can tune more cars in a day, and also not require additional help to load/strap cars. 

And yes I agree roller dynos don't really give you that accuracy (from a tuning perspective) as your tyre temperature, stickiness, etc. all contribute to distorting the output being measured. A good example is a car on say Hankook RS-4, you can do a back to back run and instantly lose like 20kW as the rubber heats up and sticks to the rollers. From a tuning perspective, imagine you were comparing two runs with more and less timing (bad example but you know what I mean) you'll be left scratching your head for a while why adding additional timing didn't provide the power yield you were expecting.

I have a S15 to re-tune soon (same one I did a while ago making 270kW on a GTX2860 Gen 2, it ate up an oil pump and the owner binned the motor). This time round has 9:1 comp and Tomei 256 Poncams (had the US junk in it before 258), I did advise the owner to go Kelfords but he was happy with the car overall and didn't want to change much. 

Also it will be going on the hub dyno, should be fun (first time for me)!

• Like 1

Pulled down this log a few days ago, only had a chance to look at it now.

Interesting to see the change over point where the exhaust backpressure drops below the manifold pressure once the turbo comes on (4300rpm) and the manifold pressure continues to stay at about 0.68:1. Thing should be more fun once we get more EMAP vs. MAP.

image.thumb.png.514cf91f6e3fa18456eb9956599c9c79.png