SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

@Murray_Calavera done! 

I believe it would have taken a few more degrees but I chose boost > timing. Wasn't planning to run this much boost, but things didn't go to plan and I wanted to see 400kW+ LOL

Base timing table:

image.thumb.png.866eb142ddba94a033e6e81bb94366f3.png

Compensation Table:

image.png.897a6c0a5cfc3733f59f94e1f24b7b27.png

Approximately where peak torque was:

image.thumb.png.962174e65b8bc1ee02315255d66ca6dc.png

Digging a bit deeper, looks like the IATs got pretty warm at 57 degrees, a new FMIC will get me that 430~440kW target!

image.thumb.png.8ab85e9681afe1c83347672bd05e70d1.png

Kebabtech Log file (useless if opened in excel, use Data Log Viewer):

407kW Birrong_Log.csv

Edited by Dose Pipe Sutututu
Added more shit
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Had a quick read back through the thread but got bombarded with coffee posts; what turbo and wastegate are you using again?

*EDIT* Found turbo, GTX3582, that still correct? What gate?

Close, a few things happened with Sparesbox and many heated phone calls later I ended up with the original turbo but with a free rear housing :)

• Carrot GTX3576R Gen 2
  • Carrot T3 1.01 divided rear housing
  • Turbosmart Gen V 50mm
  • Sinco T3 twinscroll, single gate manifold (pulses split to the gate seat)
  • Tomei 260/9.15 Cams
  • 80lb Valve Springs & Ti Retainers by Performance Springs
  • Chyna Hybrid 76mm FMIC
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Now for science put stock cams back in and report back, thanks

It took me 1.5 years to tune the car, if I put back stock cams then go and tune it again we would be all dead lol.

We both can hypothesise it could come on earlier however make less power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Close, a few things happened with Sparesbox and many heated phone calls later I ended up with the original turbo but with a free rear housing :)

• Carrot GTX3576R Gen 2
  • Turbosmart Gen V 50mm
  • Tomei 260/9.15 Cams
  • Chyna Hybrid 76mm FMIC

Mmm carrot turbo... 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

• Carrot GTX3576R Gen 2
  • Turbosmart Gen V 50mm
  • Tomei 260/9.15 Cams
  • Chyna Hybrid 76mm FMIC

Ahhh gotchya, sounds like Sparesbox is one to avoid haha. 

Actually a very similar setup to mine, bar the turbo. I've currently still just got the old gen (like 10 years old now, jesus) Hypergear G3, which is going to hold me back. Same cams, same wastegate, same springs and retainers, etc. What injectors and fuel pump/s do you have?  

2 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Actually a very similar setup to mine, bar the turbo. I've currently still just got the old gen (like 10 years old now, jesus) Hypergear G3, which is going to hold me back. Same cams, same wastegate, same springs and retainers, etc. What injectors and fuel pump/s do you have?  

I'm running Bosch 1480cc at 3 bar (often called 1550cc, or 1650cc depending on who you talk to). At the back I have 2x Wallahbro 460s in an AI SPR400 tank, and a DW200 lift pump. Both 460s are PWM and DC is ramped as boost increases. No silly potato staging, to avoid spikes.

Awesome work Johnny, and thanks for sharing everything - science ftw.   Those IATs... yikes, there is some serious airdensity improvements to be had there.   Look forward to seeing how it goes with that lot sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

I did say 11.0 afr, but the actual trace from haltech is a lot closer than the dyno printout.

Alternatively - How confident are you that either is right? Why do they differ?

+5 for actually showing data though!

There's a slight difference as I run a cat converter in the car.. yes it has a cat :)

If a car runs a cat I never rely on the rear tailpipe sniffer for tuning, it's there as just a guide. I always insist running a wideband before the cat/cat area to get a proper representation of how the motor is behaving. Not to mention, if there are small exhaust leaks, that will introduce foreign air from a venturi.

Very streetable, you get about 1bar of boost by 4100rpm and the power is quite linear. If you look at the faint dotted lines when I took a photo of the dyno screen you can see that torque is relatively flat too.

As the car was going on the dyno, I borrowed a pair of old AD08R which were rock hard (didn't want to destroy my semis), on the way home was pretty funny. Roll into 3rd and the tyres would blaze LOL.

I'm heading to Wakefield this Sunday, should be a good shakedown!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Very streetable, you get about 1bar of boost by 4100rpm and the power is quite linear. If you look at the faint dotted lines when I took a photo of the dyno screen you can see that torque is relatively flat too.

As the car was going on the dyno, I borrowed a pair of old AD08R which were rock hard (didn't want to destroy my semis), on the way home was pretty funny. Roll into 3rd and the tyres would blaze LOL.

I'm heading to Wakefield this Sunday, should be a good shakedown!

good to hear your getting back out on track. Damn if track day was 2 days earlier I would stop in with the new car for a few laps. 

35 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

Aren't you glad you kept it and kept going with your build? :D

Not really, now I have just wasted more money lol.. more money that could have been saved for a BMW lol

1 hour ago, robbo_rb180 said:

good to hear your getting back out on track. Damn if track day was 2 days earlier I would stop in with the new car for a few laps. 

Scored a free track day, my mate paid for it since I tuned his car. Speaking of which, that S15 I tuned a while back with fuelling issues came back with a solid 274kW at 1.7bar boost on a GTX2860R Gen 2. It's making numbers of the older GTX2867R Gen 1 but at least 400~500rpm earlier.

Screenshot_20200614-102252_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.2a52605bc3db84bcd6fa2969523fea2d.jpg

17 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Big power for a 2860! 

Good result for baby cams, no doubt e85 helped. How much timing? 

14 degrees mid range, sweeping up to 19 up top. Tried to pop in a few more, but wasn't worth it, as each degree only net an extra 1~2kWs.