SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

Your tyre pressures seem very high. On the road I run 28 all round but when we get to the track I drop them down to 25 cold. That’s with nt05s and 123s, I did run them at 30 once by mistake and it would blow the tyres off every time I drive to drive out of the corner. Also a good wheel alignment will help 1000s but not your road driving one but a track one, my guy I use sets up a couple ss2000 cars and does what you ask.

We have a big track day coming up and I’m more worried about not having enough downforce over the rear end

• Like 1

With the AR1 I run them at front 32 & rear 30 (255-40-17) but my 180sx is a lot lighter and less power, the suzuki swift we run around 28-30 (225-45-17). May need to go up in size if sticking with them. I used the hankook z222 in the past and found them a good compromise for street & track. How big a tyre can you go?

With the oil issue have you looked at putting a breather/fitting in the oil cap or off the side of the passenger side cam cover?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

With the oil issue have you looked at putting a breather/fitting in the oil cap or off the side of the passenger side cam cover?

That's not a bad idea, I'll slowly chip away and see what each change does. Here's hoping venting the crank case where I've highlighted will help dramatically, if not will pull the motor out and weld on a fitting to the sump and mod the cam covers.

@WR33KD I found when I went to 30psi hot, the car would slide around even more. I feel going too low you end up compromising the side wall rigidity. I'm going to just destroy these tyres and straight up go Hankook Z221 and see I can do Wakefield in a kebab spec R33 under 1m7s.

This is a screenshot from nankang uk about recommended hot pressures for various weight ranges. I've found the recommendation pretty accurate for skyboats and didn't achieve much by reducing pressure too much.

Z221 is a much better tyre,in a different league really but so is the price. Gotta pay to play I suppose.

Screenshot_20200630_204350_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7df8b9444f81418dad969cffbe91a655.jpg

Link to site https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/products/motorsport/ar-1/ for anyone interested.

• Like 2

Seen that scale before and at a guess that’s for normal road driving. 37psi on a race track should only be seen in boost levels not wheel pressure. 27 psi looks better but most of a land yachts will see over 1400kgs with all the mods we have done to them so that’s kinda scary they say 34+psi in there tyres hot

There's no simple rule for tyre pressures, different tyres work best at different pressures. Avon hillclimb slicks about 15psi, and Kumho V70a about 42psi. Most common hot pressure range is 32-34 in a track tyre but you need to try it out and see.

• Like 1

Im looking at these few mods to help with my oil issues at the moment, anyone used them or have any feedback on them?

https://www.boostdoc.com.au/product/camshaft-oil-splash-plates-rb-twin-cam-engines/
and getting the head shaved similar to the vid here
https://www.facebook.com/aaron.spec/videos/pcb.2956846604441146/1413247245730179/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

And replacing my tiny catch can with one of these with a drain back to the sump
https://atperformance.com.au/product/nissan-skyline-r32-oil-catch-can/

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Oh yeah, under 2 years old and it now has a cracked thermostat housing ???

Check out the service notes under Recommendations ?

20200710_095302.thumb.jpg.863d04845314416eebec0b0bfbdeac5f.jpg

Busted!

I like how they need to  special order some distilled water and coolant.

• Haha 1

Haram exhaust tip fixed, catch can with bigger fittings and an additional fitting for crank case vent.

I am ready for the show down with @BakemonoRicer, get ready to witness broken gearboxes.

Thank you Third Strike Fabrications for the fabrication work, bloody amazing! (he's ex Hypertune if that helps)

20200716_125701.thumb.jpg.3154e0ec2f71f1c4468473975dc88c4b.jpg

Screenshot_20200716-134849_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9cde3a1d42db465e4c066304751ee508.jpg

• Like 7

On 16/07/2020 at 1:55 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Haram exhaust tip fixed, catch can with bigger fittings and an additional fitting for crank case vent.

I am ready for the show down with @BakemonoRicer, get ready to witness broken gearboxes.

Thank you Third Strike Fabrications for the fabrication work, bloody amazing! (he's ex Hypertune if that helps)

20200716_125701.thumb.jpg.3154e0ec2f71f1c4468473975dc88c4b.jpg

Screenshot_20200716-134849_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9cde3a1d42db465e4c066304751ee508.jpg

What are the velocity stacks for?

I likes da trumpets 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, Jasoncauser said:

Im looking at these few mods to help with my oil issues at the moment, anyone used them or have any feedback on them?

https://www.boostdoc.com.au/product/camshaft-oil-splash-plates-rb-twin-cam-engines/
and getting the head shaved similar to the vid here
https://www.facebook.com/aaron.spec/videos/pcb.2956846604441146/1413247245730179/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

And replacing my tiny catch can with one of these with a drain back to the sump
https://atperformance.com.au/product/nissan-skyline-r32-oil-catch-can/

Can you try a link to the video again? Didn't work for me.

Also i am a large contributer to the oil control thread but i disagree with unzippied, i believe those splash trays will actually be beneficial as long as your ring pack is not already absolutely fkd. I will be purchasing some soon for my next engine (mystery spec RB20).

@Dose Pipe Sutututu jealous you have the extra blank plug on your AWD block. I will be fitting a crankcase pressure sensor on mine but no good place to put it ( i dont want it in rocker covers for aesthetic reasons). I think i will end up welding a -3AN line to the dipstick and run the sensor remote. If i had the blank in the block it would be ideal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Can you try a link to the video again? Didn't work for me.

Also i am a large contributer to the oil control thread but i disagree with unzippied, i believe those splash trays will actually be beneficial as long as your ring pack is not already absolutely fkd. I will be purchasing some soon for my next engine (mystery spec RB20).

Yer I just tried the link and works fine, but you may need to be a member of that Outside Skylines group to see it? 

They also put this post up the other day which does show some merit :)
But can you believe everything you see on facebook lol

image.png