• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Dose Pipe Sutututu

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

Your tyre pressures seem very high. On the road I run 28 all round but when we get to the track I drop them down to 25 cold. That’s with nt05s and 123s, I did run them at 30 once by mistake and it would blow the tyres off every time I drive to drive out of the corner. Also a good wheel alignment will help 1000s but not your road driving one but a track one, my guy I use sets up a couple ss2000 cars and does what you ask.

We have a big track day coming up and I’m more worried about not having enough downforce over the rear end

• Like 1

With the AR1 I run them at front 32 & rear 30 (255-40-17) but my 180sx is a lot lighter and less power, the suzuki swift we run around 28-30 (225-45-17). May need to go up in size if sticking with them. I used the hankook z222 in the past and found them a good compromise for street & track. How big a tyre can you go?

With the oil issue have you looked at putting a breather/fitting in the oil cap or off the side of the passenger side cam cover?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

With the oil issue have you looked at putting a breather/fitting in the oil cap or off the side of the passenger side cam cover?

That's not a bad idea, I'll slowly chip away and see what each change does. Here's hoping venting the crank case where I've highlighted will help dramatically, if not will pull the motor out and weld on a fitting to the sump and mod the cam covers.

@WR33KD I found when I went to 30psi hot, the car would slide around even more. I feel going too low you end up compromising the side wall rigidity. I'm going to just destroy these tyres and straight up go Hankook Z221 and see I can do Wakefield in a kebab spec R33 under 1m7s.

This is a screenshot from nankang uk about recommended hot pressures for various weight ranges. I've found the recommendation pretty accurate for skyboats and didn't achieve much by reducing pressure too much.

Z221 is a much better tyre,in a different league really but so is the price. Gotta pay to play I suppose.

Screenshot_20200630_204350_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7df8b9444f81418dad969cffbe91a655.jpg

Link to site https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/products/motorsport/ar-1/ for anyone interested.

• Like 2

Seen that scale before and at a guess that’s for normal road driving. 37psi on a race track should only be seen in boost levels not wheel pressure. 27 psi looks better but most of a land yachts will see over 1400kgs with all the mods we have done to them so that’s kinda scary they say 34+psi in there tyres hot

There's no simple rule for tyre pressures, different tyres work best at different pressures. Avon hillclimb slicks about 15psi, and Kumho V70a about 42psi. Most common hot pressure range is 32-34 in a track tyre but you need to try it out and see.

• Like 1

Im looking at these few mods to help with my oil issues at the moment, anyone used them or have any feedback on them?

https://www.boostdoc.com.au/product/camshaft-oil-splash-plates-rb-twin-cam-engines/
and getting the head shaved similar to the vid here
https://www.facebook.com/aaron.spec/videos/pcb.2956846604441146/1413247245730179/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

And replacing my tiny catch can with one of these with a drain back to the sump
https://atperformance.com.au/product/nissan-skyline-r32-oil-catch-can/