SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

21 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Sucks to hear about bank drama. Freeing up some dollars for a BMW or more Reno's? 

Freeing up some money to upgrade the house and hopefully find a place with either a double garage or a shed 30mins from Sydney CBD.

Wish me luck lol, maybe BMW afterwards ?

@Unzipped Composites should touch base with Ben at Thirdstrike Fabrications. He's ex-Hypertune and he uses the same cores too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Sucks to hear about bank drama. Freeing up some dollars for a BMW or more Reno's? 

Please do this. How would you bonding to aluminium go with the pressure? 

5000psi lap shear strength and even higher burst strength... it should be ok with boost pressure ?

Heat is the bigger issue. Id like to do some data logging and record how hot the IAT's get in various situations. If it gets over 150° sustained for any period of time then it could be an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasoncauser said:

have you got a pic of how you did the sump breather on the sump end? 

Just so I can get an idea on what I gotta do :)

I actually just used the unused VCT head drain/breather as the R34 NEO motor doesn't use it. Fitted up a 3/4NPT to 10AN fitting, and ran that to the catch can.

As circled in blue (not my photo). With R33 RBs that is attached to the head to that blank flange next to exhaust of Cylinder 1.

image.png.6691aa444797e51e87022db52e992604.png

However, I feel that it's still pushing out some oil. I handed the keys to my friend to go thrash it around "Mexico" after we fitted everything and there's still a decent amount of oil droplets forming in the catch.

Find out soon enough, decided to go track day on the 14th of September LOL.

• Like 1

Thanks mate.
I havent checked but im guessing the RB20det dont have that, so will have to do it a different way 

Track Day - sweet. Wakefield again?
If they open it up to spectators I may come down for a watch as mine wont be ready for a while with bathroom reno starting soon.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

To keep @iruvyouskyrine happy ?

I really need to find a new R33 shell and move everything across. So much rust and shit on this one.

20200802_122701.thumb.jpg.084f930315c286a75d1279e8a49ecff9.jpg

My vote, lowball this > https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1988-BMW-3-Series-320i-E30-Manual/SSE-AD-6762530/

No rust project car.

You will end up with your BMW, but it will be reliable, well, Nissan reliable anyways.

That would be well cool, and different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I actually just used the unused VCT head drain/breather as the R34 NEO motor doesn't use it. Fitted up a 3/4NPT to 10AN fitting, and ran that to the catch can.

As circled in blue (not my photo). With R33 RBs that is attached to the head to that blank flange next to exhaust of Cylinder 1.

image.png.6691aa444797e51e87022db52e992604.png

However, I feel that it's still pushing out some oil. I handed the keys to my friend to go thrash it around "Mexico" after we fitted everything and there's still a decent amount of oil droplets forming in the catch.

Find out soon enough, decided to go track day on the 14th of September LOL.

Wrong side of the crank?

2 hours ago, mlr said:

My vote, lowball this > https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1988-BMW-3-Series-320i-E30-Manual/SSE-AD-6762530/

No rust project car.

You will end up with your BMW, but it will be reliable, well, Nissan reliable anyways.

That would be well cool, and different.

@mlr that's an expensive donor chassis.  Nothing special about an E30 except light weight, and compact dimensions.  Body lacks rigidity. Rear semi trailing arm suspension very similar in concept and execution to a Datsun 180B.  And the 80s spec M20 donk is even less exciting than a RB20E, plus more expensive to overhaul.

If Dose gets any urge to look at that, I will send him a pair of knitting needles.  The pain of those jabbed in the eyes will take his attention away from the BMW. :)  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Wrong side of the crank?

Yes correct, however just seeing if it makes any difference to relieving crank case pressure.

You would at least imagine it's doing something at the very least (as Nissan had it on the R33 motor). If this doesn't work out, motor out and welding on a couple of 12AN fittings to the sump and also will run a head to sump vent too.

I'm sure it does something. But perhaps being on the pressure side of the crank means it doesn't make as much difference as it should. Oil will be getting pushed up that line by the crank windage for sure. But it does probably also provide a path for the crank gasses without going up the drains. So it is maybe helping with the actual oil control problem, but you're still getting oil in the catch can simply because it is under pressure. 

For the R33 that wouldnt have mattered, that oil was just going back to the head rather than being evacuated completely.  Interesting that they didn't use it on the 34 though....

10 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I'm sure it does something. But perhaps being on the pressure side of the crank means it doesn't make as much difference as it should. Oil will be getting pushed up that line by the crank windage for sure. But it does probably also provide a path for the crank gasses without going up the drains. So it is maybe helping with the actual oil control problem, but you're still getting oil in the catch can simply because it is under pressure. 

For the R33 that wouldnt have mattered, that oil was just going back to the head rather than being evacuated completely.  Interesting that they didn't use it on the 34 though....

Solid lifters vs. hydraulic is probably the reason.

• Like 1

If anyone shops at SipnSave or Bottlemart or Harry Brown, use the code SAVE20 at checkout (today only) and save $20 for orders over $100 (excludes cancer sticks & delivery).

shop.bottlemart.com.au

shop.harrybrown.com.au

shop.sipnsave.com.au

Yeah, I might have some affiliation but whatever, cheap grog LOL