Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Dose Pipe Sutututu

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Sucks to hear about bank drama. Freeing up some dollars for a BMW or more Reno's? 

Freeing up some money to upgrade the house and hopefully find a place with either a double garage or a shed 30mins from Sydney CBD.

Wish me luck lol, maybe BMW afterwards 😂

@Unzipped Composites should touch base with Ben at Thirdstrike Fabrications. He's ex-Hypertune and he uses the same cores too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

To keep @iruvyouskyrine happy 😅

I really need to find a new R33 shell and move everything across. So much rust and shit on this one.

 

I've been looking for a rust free R33 for a while now, I'm starting to think rust is factory fitted :(

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I've been looking for a rust free R33 for a while now, I'm starting to think rust is factory fitted :(

Well, they are just a more modern Datsun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

 

Sucks to hear about bank drama. Freeing up some dollars for a BMW or more Reno's? 

Please do this. How would you bonding to aluminium go with the pressure? 

 

5000psi lap shear strength and even higher burst strength... it should be ok with boost pressure 😉

 

Heat is the bigger issue. Id like to do some data logging and record how hot the IAT's get in various situations. If it gets over 150° sustained for any period of time then it could be an issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jasoncauser said:

have you got a pic of how you did the sump breather on the sump end? 

Just so I can get an idea on what I gotta do :)

I actually just used the unused VCT head drain/breather as the R34 NEO motor doesn't use it. Fitted up a 3/4NPT to 10AN fitting, and ran that to the catch can.

As circled in blue (not my photo). With R33 RBs that is attached to the head to that blank flange next to exhaust of Cylinder 1.

image.png.6691aa444797e51e87022db52e992604.png

 

However, I feel that it's still pushing out some oil. I handed the keys to my friend to go thrash it around "Mexico" after we fitted everything and there's still a decent amount of oil droplets forming in the catch.

Find out soon enough, decided to go track day on the 14th of September LOL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks mate.
I havent checked but im guessing the RB20det dont have that, so will have to do it a different way 

Track Day - sweet. Wakefield again?
If they open it up to spectators I may come down for a watch as mine wont be ready for a while with bathroom reno starting soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

To keep @iruvyouskyrine happy 😅

I really need to find a new R33 shell and move everything across. So much rust and shit on this one.

20200802_122701.thumb.jpg.084f930315c286a75d1279e8a49ecff9.jpg

My vote, lowball this > https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1988-BMW-3-Series-320i-E30-Manual/SSE-AD-6762530/

No rust project car.

You will end up with your BMW, but it will be reliable, well, Nissan reliable anyways.

That would be well cool, and different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jasoncauser hitting up Wakefield, try get sub 10s with the shitty AR-1 tyres. Then will get better tyres afterwards :)

@mlr let's see, if the next place is big & has a shed will make doing silly swaps much easier 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I actually just used the unused VCT head drain/breather as the R34 NEO motor doesn't use it. Fitted up a 3/4NPT to 10AN fitting, and ran that to the catch can.

As circled in blue (not my photo). With R33 RBs that is attached to the head to that blank flange next to exhaust of Cylinder 1.

image.png.6691aa444797e51e87022db52e992604.png

 

However, I feel that it's still pushing out some oil. I handed the keys to my friend to go thrash it around "Mexico" after we fitted everything and there's still a decent amount of oil droplets forming in the catch.

Find out soon enough, decided to go track day on the 14th of September LOL.

 

Wrong side of the crank?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mlr said:

My vote, lowball this > https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1988-BMW-3-Series-320i-E30-Manual/SSE-AD-6762530/

No rust project car.

You will end up with your BMW, but it will be reliable, well, Nissan reliable anyways.

That would be well cool, and different.

@mlr that's an expensive donor chassis.  Nothing special about an E30 except light weight, and compact dimensions.  Body lacks rigidity. Rear semi trailing arm suspension very similar in concept and execution to a Datsun 180B.  And the 80s spec M20 donk is even less exciting than a RB20E, plus more expensive to overhaul.

If Dose gets any urge to look at that, I will send him a pair of knitting needles.  The pain of those jabbed in the eyes will take his attention away from the BMW. :)  

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Wrong side of the crank?

Yes correct, however just seeing if it makes any difference to relieving crank case pressure.

You would at least imagine it's doing something at the very least (as Nissan had it on the R33 motor). If this doesn't work out, motor out and welding on a couple of 12AN fittings to the sump and also will run a head to sump vent too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it does something. But perhaps being on the pressure side of the crank means it doesn't make as much difference as it should. Oil will be getting pushed up that line by the crank windage for sure. But it does probably also provide a path for the crank gasses without going up the drains. So it is maybe helping with the actual oil control problem, but you're still getting oil in the catch can simply because it is under pressure. 

 

For the R33 that wouldnt have mattered, that oil was just going back to the head rather than being evacuated completely.  Interesting that they didn't use it on the 34 though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I'm sure it does something. But perhaps being on the pressure side of the crank means it doesn't make as much difference as it should. Oil will be getting pushed up that line by the crank windage for sure. But it does probably also provide a path for the crank gasses without going up the drains. So it is maybe helping with the actual oil control problem, but you're still getting oil in the catch can simply because it is under pressure. 

 

For the R33 that wouldnt have mattered, that oil was just going back to the head rather than being evacuated completely.  Interesting that they didn't use it on the 34 though....

Solid lifters vs. hydraulic is probably the reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wheezy said:

Solid lifters vs. hydraulic is probably the reason.

that and the VCT operates differently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone shops at SipnSave or Bottlemart or Harry Brown, use the code SAVE20 at checkout (today only) and save $20 for orders over $100 (excludes cancer sticks & delivery).

shop.bottlemart.com.au

shop.harrybrown.com.au

shop.sipnsave.com.au

Yeah, I might have some affiliation but whatever, cheap grog LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHB Automotive 😄 are doing 12% off all Elig Brake Pads for the month of August, no minimum sets required.

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

image.thumb.png.22278e7fede82c2e02c6647400ec904d.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I'm driving in supports for supertaxi in Townsville so will be able to give a good review of the Elig pads. Trying to get a few people onto them up here. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@robbo_rb180 they're a pretty decent street/track pad as they give you near track pad performance but a street pad feel, ie not much heat required.

New day, new part, and wasted more money 😂

Now to find time to delete the haram clutch dampener. 

20200806_135024.thumb.jpg.5b671dc85d9bb13ab5643802841fd8d2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...