SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

31 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Johnny let me know if the car hasn't made it back home yet and you need a hand

Thanks for the offer Duncan, but got the car back to my mate's warehouse last night at about midnight. Had to wait for him to head back to Sydney unload his car, then head back out to get my shit box - luckily the trailer has a winch because if it didn't I would have probably dumped the car there.

28 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

"To be fair, this motor has BUILT BY JOHHNY THE SAVAGE, and was making 3x the power the engine was designed for.

Johnny ALSO JUST WENT FULL SEND WHEN IT WAS PROBS SUFFERING OIL STARVATION LIKE MANY RBs DO AT THE TRACK"

Fixed your post Duncan ?

LOL... correct, Haltech told me many times to stop driving but I just rolled into the pits and restarted the car - watched for oil pressure and straight out to the track again. Probably did about a good 60+ laps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reaper said:

Time to buy a beemer ;)

I like your thinking :)

Did look at the V8 E92 M3 in Manual on Carsales this morning in bed, very affordable - I think might be a future classic too, of course I won't touch the SMG version because they're full of issues.

10 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Did look at the V8 E92 M3 in Manual on Carsales this morning in bed, very affordable - I think might be a future classic too, of course I won't touch the SMG version because they're full of issues.

*cough* rod bearings are apparently a general maintenance item *cough* 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

The e92 actually has a dct which is fine. Smg was an e46/e60 thing and absolute garbage.

That being said id always go manual for more fun :D

F80's are getting cheap and imo are a fair step above an e92 with a few key areas taken care of.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

tis a shame, if it wasn't for the haltech you might have had the engine failure on the track offering much more street cred and gram likes

didn't put a hole through the block and through the body work.. no IG likes or won't be all over Snapchat

5 hours ago, reaper said:

The e92 actually has a dct which is fine. Smg was an e46/e60 thing and absolute garbage.

That being said id always go manual for more fun :D

F80's are getting cheap and imo are a fair step above an e92 with a few key areas taken care of.

The reason I like of like the E90/2 M3 more is because it's rare(?) being a V8, it could potentially be a classic in say 10~15 years time.. who knows right?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Now you know why I’m avoiding circuit work

unless something is dry sumped it’s SO not worth the damage to the motor, why risk big dollars for a few mins of fun 

roll racing and street duties is good enough for the motor to last a LONG time 

Just run an oil accumulator for a bit of cheap insurance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WR33KD said:

Needed a head drain.

I don't think that's the issue, however it may have helped with either draining back more oil or just simply reducing crank case pressure and allowing oil to flow down through the galleries.

There's a fundamental issue with my oil pickup (AWD motor with modded RWD ASR sump) where the pickup has been moved forward to suit the RWD sump.

I suspect on full noise around big high speed corners (back straight before the last turn at Wakefield) all the oil us rushing back and because the pickup is right at the front it's being exposed to air thus tripping the engine protection.

Oh wells, see what happens. This will be on the backburner for a while as we're getting ready to sell our house.

16 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

The reason I like of like the E90/2 M3 more is because it's rare(?) being a V8, it could potentially be a classic in say 10~15 years time.. who knows right?

Agree, same reason I lusted after one for a while. 

Sometimes I think I should just buy the thing, enjoy it for 1 year or 2 then move it on and realistically my chances of seeing the failure I am fretting about would be slim. 

10 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Now you know why I’m avoiding circuit work

unless something is dry sumped it’s SO not worth the damage to the motor, why risk big dollars for a few mins of fun 

roll racing and street duties is good enough for the motor to last a LONG time 

Dry sump isn't the be all and end all, I've seen dry sumped cars spin bearings too due to poor setup of the dry sump system. Nissan's suffer excess crankcase pressure so equalizing that is paramount. In the CA, which is still an original bottom end, I just did it with a mess of pipes and 2 separate breathing systems (top and bottom) problem solved. It could be done neater but it was a proof of concept at the time. I also tested crankcase evac kits (Morosso) and did not have good results. 

Accumulators don't address the root cause, they just throw oil back in when the issue is most prevalent. They also fail, have seen spun bearings on cars fitted with them. Nothing is fool proof. This is why we have engine protection....

6 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Just run an oil accumulator for a bit of cheap insurance. 

See above.

3 hours ago, WR33KD said:

Needed a head drain.

Would've helped no doubt. 

44 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I don't think that's the issue, however it may have helped with either draining back more oil or just simply reducing crank case pressure and allowing oil to flow down through the galleries.

There's a fundamental issue with my oil pickup (AWD motor with modded RWD ASR sump) where the pickup has been moved forward to suit the RWD sump.

I suspect on full noise around big high speed corners (back straight before the last turn at Wakefield) all the oil us rushing back and because the pickup is right at the front it's being exposed to air thus tripping the engine protection.

Oh wells, see what happens. This will be on the backburner for a while as we're getting ready to sell our house.

I dont think there's any prizes for guessing this will be an oil starvation issue ?

Good luck with the house sellz, get dat paper then see where you're at. 

Have you got a new place sorted already? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionDan said:

Have you got a new place sorted already? 

No LOL ...

When we wanted to buy a place, ANZ couldn't get our loan sorted - in fact they took 129 days from application through to settlement to re-finance our investment & current place. Ended up cracking the shits and told them to forget about the pre-approval for the next property and went with FirstMac and they approved us in 3 days!

Now we are fully funded, ready to go - there's nothing to buy :(

Spoke to a few people in Real Estate and they said I should list/sell our current property before the supply picks up, means there's a bit less choice for buyers and we'll get the money we want. I did however put in the contract we are able to rent it back for up to 3 months if required. Here's hoping the right property comes up this week, we go put a deposit on it and there's a big garage/hoist outback for the shit box lol.

• Like 1