SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

8 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Given we see 1000hp+ turbo LS stuff doing over 400 passes and over 20 thousand road k's , I don't see why not. 

At that power I'd call it reliable. 

All about how it's built and how it's used. 

All about how its presented on Insta. The breakages get left out when you're trying to sell reliability. 

• Like 3

Paint looks magic mate, good job!  Selenite is a Benz colour from memory? Goddam old car ownership can be frustrating!  Glad you’re giving it some love, hopefully she’s back on the road in no time!

When GT3 racecar manufacturers (Mclaren, Porsche, Acura, Nissan, many other mfg's) all have 500 HP engines lasting 60 hours of use time, or, 12,000km of use (I mean, its track kms though obviously) you know that if they could have made that more reliable... they would have - given they have a massive interest in doing so by having a more reliable motor than their competitors.

And they are not cheap cars, nor cheap engines...

But um... nah mate I have 1000kw for 8 years no breakdowns bruh #bulletproof

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Paint looks magic mate, good job!  Selenite is a Benz colour from memory? Goddam old car ownership can be frustrating!  Glad you’re giving it some love, hopefully she’s back on the road in no time!

Thank you 😁 and yes, it's from a MB lol.. don't hate.

58 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Since anything Japanese car related is stupid money have you thought of putting the BMW 335 motor and box it? 

At least it won't blow oil pumps and smash boxes lolol..

Good news, I've found another block too. Hopefully back on the road soon.

• Like 1

I found my old neo crank if it's any use to you send me a message, otherwise will put it up for sale. What a reasonable price for a crank in perfect condition came from a running 100,000km engine? Also have full set of pistons (who wants standard pistons though) and rods (same as RB26 so may be worth something,)

2 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I found my old neo crank if it's any use to you send me a message, otherwise will put it up for sale. What a reasonable price for a crank in perfect condition came from a running 100,000km engine? Also have full set of pistons (who wants standard pistons though) and rods (same as RB26 so may be worth something,)

Crank is still a short nose crank, same as any other RB25 so not hugely sought after. If its in great condition is doesn't need a grind then maybe ~$200. If its got some gouges or enough where to warrant anything more than a links then the nitriding will be removed and I'd say its pretty worthless, 50 bucks maybe but more likely a bin job.

Pistons for the bin. 

Rods, these days probably not so popular anymore, people probably more likely to go with a set of Chinese forgies if they are building a cheap motor. Maybe $150?

16 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

500 HP engines lasting 60 hours of use time, or, 12,000km of use (I mean, its track kms though obviously)

Yeh this is the thing - a track car actually uses 500hp. If you have a car that once made 500kw on the dyno, but all you do is drive it 20kms to work everyday at under 3000rpm - you don't have a reliable 500kw car, you have a reliable 120kw car haha. And even then, you will probably still find yourself pulling it down before it ever gets close to 50,000kms. 

Nobody is jumping into their 160,000km-since-rebuild 500kw Skyline, driving it to the track and thrashing it for 3 hours, then driving it home. Nobody.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Has the replacement block been crack tested?

Will be soon, usual checks. If this one is also cracked I will have a sads.

4 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I found my old neo crank if it's any use to you send me a message

See how I go, hopefully my old crank isn't cactus, if it is I'll message you 😊

And don't worry, I'll send the next motor too. Test and learn, worked out I need more crank vents and even smaller restrictors with an even larger sump. Next motor will last, I'm confident it will.

• Like 1