SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

On 4/10/2021 at 4:54 PM, Unzipped Composites said:

All about how its presented on Insta. The breakages get left out when you're trying to sell reliability. 

I don't do insta, I'm more about youtube builds where the communities know the cars so well, and they are out and about so often, that it would be near on impossible to hide any "decent" breakage that wasnt just basic maintenance items/ or performance car living (I.E. if an axle breaks on a drag car I don't consider that an unreliable "car"). 

Just saying, the world has moved on from RBs/SRs etc in many ways and plenty of other engines are making the same/more power reliably (plenty aren't too lol). 

Says the man with an SR being built, couldn't bring myself to K swap. 

• Like 1

Honda did a great job of making the complex actually really simple. Put it in engine bay, give it fuel and away you go. Hardest part is getting the transmission sorted. I'm considering removing my SR20DET out of my S13 and putting in an NA K24 at the moment. Its significantly smaller and lighter than an SR, just really fking tall

Edited by iruvyouskyrine

5 hours ago, ActionDan said:

I don't do insta, I'm more about youtube builds where the communities know the cars so well, and they are out and about so often, that it would be near on impossible to hide any "decent" breakage that wasnt just basic maintenance items/ or performance car living (I.E. if an axle breaks on a drag car I don't consider that an unreliable "car"). 

Just saying, the world has moved on from RBs/SRs etc in many ways and plenty of other engines are making the same/more power reliably (plenty aren't too lol). 

Says the man with an SR being built, couldn't bring myself to K swap. 

If the cars are being maintained by people that know what they are doing, then they probably aren't breaking things - they're pulling them down and rebuilding them before they get to that point. I'm not even talking about RB's, I'm talking about any engine.

Honestly, how long do you think a V8 Supercar engine lasts? It would last less than that on the street too. The best in the business with a vested interest in making them last as long as possible can't make them last, but you get guys on YouTube that have built 30 engines saying they can make a 700kw engine indestructible? Garbage. 

• Like 3

Bit of a tangent there lol but I really dgaf to split hairs about it, all engines fail or need to be pulled down for work at some point. All we're talking about is where that point is and how much power the engine made while it was being used, who gives a f**k really? 

I think Johnny will be ok, and if he's not, we'll be here for pics of the next build. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Bit of a tangent there lol but I really dgaf to split hairs about it, all engines fail or need to be pulled down for work at some point. All we're talking about is where that point is and how much power the engine made while it was being used, who gives a f**k really? 

I think Johnny will be ok, and if he's not, we'll be here for pics of the next build. 

Yes, but there's a pretty drastic difference between getting 300,000+kms out of an OEM engine and the kms you will get out of an engine making 3 times as much power as it was engineered for. 

I just feel this is a bit of a funny mentality in this industry, everybody expects they will never have to spend more money on their build because they dropped a fortune on it in the first place; when realistically the more money you spend on it the more you are going to need to spend. I don't have any problems with people building stupidly powerful engines, I just wonder why we aren't more aware of what we are getting ourselves into when we do it. 

Yeah, but I don't care about the mentality of the industry and if people know what they are getting into. 

I care about this build thread and when my engine will be done and how far Benny will take his new engine and why we never hear shit from Piggaz anymore and how many k's fatz could have gotten out of that Q7 if he had've kept it. 

You know interesting shit. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Unzipped Composites said:

when realistically the more money you spend on it the more you are going to need to spend

Very true, this is what happened when I blew my motor and somehow respraying the car was part of fixing the motor.

1 hour ago, ActionDan said:

Or at the very least more renovation photos.. which I've already started doing so on a brand new house that we bought in November last year. Typical Bankstown special duplex build, put in 3x bathrooms, and decide to squash the laundry into the butler's pantry so you can sell the place for more. This is when form > function doesn't work, clearly the design, build of this house was by people who have their wives OR mums do their laundry and cook/clean for them.

Anyhow, we're turning the brand new, unshowered in bathroom into a proper laundry with toilet and leaving the pantry so it can be a pantry and not smell like a Laundromat.

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Did someone say reno? Semi gut, most of the wall tiles still remain. Relocated drains, waste and water. Added additional GPOs for washer/dryer stack and broom/Dyson cabinet next to it.

20210412_185231.thumb.jpg.9fd705545dc61f35ce4627c1170e8b53.jpg

20210416_080849.thumb.jpg.d41ea10014f23dd6c3cec4b18e673dc6.jpg

20210419_142807.thumb.jpg.6a19a568e22681184e7f6f42f5e0ee0c.jpg

Add grout for reliable 1000hp tiles

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/05/2021 at 1:09 PM, Shoota_77 said:

It's May.

Car running? 😁

Shower?

Long story, but had to remove the cabinets & take down the wall again. Has been re-tiled, and awaiting new cabinets :D

Blooding builds, they never go to plan!

Car, well block no. 2 is at the machinist - seems to be a bit of backlog. Last time block no.1 sat there for nearly a month waiting in line too. Did plan to have response monster running by start of June, but timing wise it's a bit tight.

Head has been tickled with 1mm oversized exhaust valves, intake side remains OEM.

Still keen to do 500kW at the rear tread, with a 4k RPM power band. Should make the car fun, until the box has a meltdown and the car goes back on jack stands for another year or two.

So this is in the new house yeah?  You're a mad man ripping into a new joint but it may as well suit what you want!

500 kW in a rear wheel drive setup will be INSANE.  Zero chance I could handle that much power in a RWD.  I'd be wrapped around a pole in no time.  RIP me.

• Haha 1