SAU Community

RB26 Head questions

GarettH

RB26 Head questions

Hey guys, I have tried to do some research and I can not seem to find the right threads to answer my questions. I'm currently doing a rebuild on my RB26 head and have a few questions.

My current parts list I have is

Brian Crower single spring & titanium retainers,

Supertech valve guides,

Brian Crower +1MM Intake & +1MM Exhaust valves,

Kelford 280 10.5mm lift cams

And what I can not find is if it's acceptable to reuse the OEM Valve Keepers/Locks and what the OEM Camshaft Studs are rated to. Are these MUST have things when doing the head?

What collets does BC specify/recommend for their valves?  Are OEM compatible?  Check with your supplier.

Camshaft caps are held by bolts.  Any reason they won't work properly?  Are there even studs available?  The items being held only have rotary motion.  Not reciprocating, and there isn't the pressure of combustion trying to dislodge things.

If you establish a plan with your chosen engine builder things can potentially run smoothly as the parts are matched and fit for purpose.  There's been some very good discussion regarding RB26 cams/heads and what can be achieved with surprisingly mild cams combined with the right turbocharger system spec.

I see Tomei does list studs.  The blurb generally indicates they are for fairly extreme lift and rpm eg 12mm lift, 10000rpm.

No real indication of what service this head is being put to.

I stand by comments regarding a discussion with the person chosen to build the thing.  Come up with a total combination fit for purpose.  "Maybe" these things are a useful/necessary item in OP's case.  Doubtful IMO though at a few hundred $$ not much in the overall scheme of a build.

As far as my understanding the oem keepers/locks work I just couldnt find any information on them if these are parts that usually fail, and ya tomei makes camcap bolts but it just says for high lift.

Arp makes cam cap bolts and tomei puts then in very very expensive packaging lol

Do you have a part number for arp cam cap bolts? I literally cant find them anywhere, only ones i can find are the tomei.

Any particular reason why your going BC valves springs and retainers? For a fraction more you can get a full supertech valvetrain package and dual springs.

Also, whats the intended use for the car as those cams are not ideal for a street car

Any particular reason why your going BC valves springs and retainers? For a fraction more you can get a full supertech valvetrain package and dual springs.

Also, whats the intended use for the car as those cams are not ideal for a street car

There's a few machine shops in Canada that have had good luck with Brian Crower springs/ retainers plus there spring specs like coil bind/seat height/spring pressure were closer matched to the Kelford springs that they recommend for there cams. And the stiffest single spring supertech offers is 60lbs which might be to soft. And trying to avoid dual springs and you need to bed the cams in with only 1 spring then add the 2nd spring later.

Cam choice is based off my turbo size and 900whp goal. Its a weekend street/drag car.

Just do the cam cap studs. I did, I just felt it was a bit of insurance and a small cost given what the rest of the engine was worth

Crower are very quick to respond to emails so shoot them off an email about the other stuff. I am sure they will answer in no time at all and give you an answer that will be 100% reliable ;)