SAU Community

Best Gtr intercoolers

SiR_RB

14 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Considered HKS?

Based on Efficiency, Price and Availability HKS may be worth looking at as you have restricted it to 100mm thick. (Kudos Motorsport)

have you looked inside of one? they are no where the quality of a Plazmaman or a Hypertune one.

Can vouch for Plazmaman 76mm cooler. I gained 15k at all 4 wheels after swapping my standard 34R cooler to a Plazmaman (Same dyno, same tuner, same weather conditions, etc)

IAT went down drastically (-9's on 22.5psi), and it actually feeds air through the radiator more efficiently too. Temps have been perfect all summer!

• Like 2

I have some evidence to support its worth spending the money on plazmaman.

My GTR, 3.2 stroker, awd turbo 400, PTE 8285 all the goodies bla bla

Chinese 120mm intercooler on 33psi was seeing IAT's of 100 plus degrees on single dyno pull, with the previous turbo being a PTE 7675 was seeing IAT's of 80 degrees.

Fitted the Plazmaman Pro Series 100mm GTR intercooler, with no other changes it instantly saw 43psi obviously just from better flow.

After some tuning at 38psi we are not seeing anymore than IAT's of 50 degrees after back to back dyno pulls.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, Griffin said:

That's a great result. How does she go with the th400?

Yer totally transformed the car, I'm not a manual guy in general but the turbo 400 with my setup is perfect, hoping to race it in the coming weeks once we turn it up a little more.

HANIBL 38psi 8285.MOV

Edited by duz10s
vid

I'm pushing about 295kw at 17.5psi with Garrett -9s and Tomei cams.  Higher than 17.5psi it would start to get detonations, and my tuner said I need a better aftermarket intercooler.  

Plazmaman 76mm is rated at 950hp according to their website, is that too big for what I need?  And perhaps would create unnecessary lag?  From what I read -9s should be able to to do 20psi, and that's all I'm trying to achieve.

4 hours ago, TXSquirrel said:

I'm pushing about 295kw at 17.5psi with Garrett -9s and Tomei cams.  Higher than 17.5psi it would start to get detonations, and my tuner said I need a better aftermarket intercooler.  

Plazmaman 76mm is rated at 950hp according to their website, is that too big for what I need?  And perhaps would create unnecessary lag?  From what I read -9s should be able to to do 20psi, and that's all I'm trying to achieve.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself will probably chime in here but my 2c...

There are numerous people on here making 300rwkw+ with -7's & -9's on stock cooler including myself...

The cooler will certainly improve things but i feel you may have another issue...

Though i do see you are from the states so your results compared to ours here in Oz tend to be different, though typically they're inflated, not deflated...

Edited by mr_rbman

5 hours ago, TXSquirrel said:

How's your exhaust system? are there any step downs in the system? Also do you have a screen grab of the timing map?

Also yes the OEM GT-R FMIC could do work - however it has been proven by @djvoodoo moving from a stock FMIC to a modest 76mm Plazmaman cooler netted more power, lower IATs.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

How's your exhaust system? are there any step downs in the system? Also do you have a screen grab of the timing map?

Also yes the OEM GT-R FMIC could do work - however it has been proven by @djvoodoo moving from a stock FMIC to a modest 76mm Plazmaman cooler netted more power, lower IATs.

Hmmm I never thought exhaust system could cause detonation.  I have Tomei elbows and Reimax rest of the way with no cat, however I am not sure if I have the 60mm or 65mm front pipe.  Isn't Tomei elbows 60mm exit?

I have no doubt Plazmanman can run much cooler than OEM, but I am worried about the lag / pressure drop because of its size.  I went for -9s because I don't like low end lag, and my tuner did a pretty good job and drives just like stock below 4000 rpm.

Intercooler volume has far less influence on lag than you'd think.  When the turbo comes on boost it is making air flow at a massive number compared to the volume of the intercooler (and all the rest of the pipework).  It's really not an influence on lag at all, unless stupidly big.

The main effect is on throttle response when off boost.

As to the exhaust - high backpressure after the turbine leads to high pressure in the ex manifold which doesn't help the det situation.  If you have at least semi-decent dumps with no cat, then you're probably alright.  But if any muffler has a size reduction in it (like a lot of Jap ones do) then that won't help and would be better if it was not there.

• Like 1

So saying not able to get pass 17.5psi is not exactly accurate...  When first strapped onto the dyno, first pull was just shy of 20psi and got about 315rwkw or 425rwhp.  I think that is on par with most people's number.  But the number diminished with each pull and when we got to about 9th or 10th pull as the engine got hotter and more heat saturated, 17psi was about the max.  That's why my tuner thought a better intercooler should help.  I will see if he can email me some of the data.

However, I just went on Tomei's website and found their dumps to be 68mm at exit.  Which could be a problem because the Reimax front pipes are 65mm, but if previous owner lied to me and actually had the 60mm, then that's a major problem...  The muffler is probably a lesser problem at 115mm, according to Reimax's website.

• Like 1

Just for reference.  Some months ago I tried to buy a Plazmaman intercooler from a Victorian (North West of Melbourne) garage that has a line in torque. After far too long it turns out they didn't even order it from Plazmaman and the delivery dates etc promised were fabricated (Unlike the cooler, obviously). Currently working my way through a refund and less than reassured by their promises of one.

So if anyone is after a Plazmaman cooler it would pay to be a little careful who you order it from.  Speaking to Plazmaman themselves this is not an uncommon experience.

2 hours ago, djr81 said:

Just for reference.  Some months ago I tried to buy a Plazmaman intercooler from a Victorian (North West of Melbourne) garage that has a line in torque. After far too long it turns out they didn't even order it from Plazmaman and the delivery dates etc promised were fabricated (Unlike the cooler, obviously). Currently working my way through a refund and less than reassured by their promises of one.

So if anyone is after a Plazmaman cooler it would pay to be a little careful who you order it from.  Speaking to Plazmaman themselves this is not an uncommon experience.

I order them direct from Plazmaman, and also often arrange for customers to directly pick them up from Plazmaman if required :)

Generally all Plazmaman items are made to order and depending on the amount of orders they have wait times can be from 1~2 weeks.