SAU Community

Best Gtr intercoolers

SiR_RB

• 4 weeks later...

Plazmaman cooler finally turned up.  Surprisingly easy when you go to a shop that actually processes your order.  Anyway will get around to fitting it once I've cleaned up this mess.

20180316_160200.jpg

Edited by djr81

53 minutes ago, TXSquirrel said:

There should be data sheets if coming from an engineer.  Has the painted intercooler gone through team check?  :10_wink:

There are 2 sorts of engineers.  The document obsessed ones, who can't get anything right without a documented procedure and QA checklist, and the other sort, who just get shit done.

But the reality here is that big intercoolers are very seldom called upon to act as a steady state heat exchanger.  They heat up, then they cool down, and a lot of the "cool down" heat goes back into the air flowing through the inside after the boost event.  So, with respect to the usage model, any negative effect on external convective heat transfer from having a layer of paint is further reduced.  The other big thing is that you usually don't get a lot of pain onto the fins further into the core, so they are still mostly bare aluminium, and that's where the external heat exchange occurs anyway.  The tanks and the front of the tubes are not so important.  And lastly, the black is massively better for radiation heat transfer than clean ally, so even though the temperatures are nowhere near high enough for radiation to be a large proportion of the total heat transfer, the fact that radiation is improved probably goes at least part way to offsetting any reduction in convection, and for all I know might even be better.

• Thanks 1

That sums it up pretty nicely.

Basically you need to remember that everything has a resistance to conduction, even aluminium, just happens that it's is pretty low. 
A very small (microns) thickness of something more resistive isn't going to be as much as a large thickness of something that is less resistive, they are all functions of thickness.

10 minutes ago, sneakey pete said:

That sums it up pretty nicely.

Basically you need to remember that everything has a resistance to conduction, even aluminium, just happens that it's is pretty low. 
A very small (microns) thickness of something more resistive isn't going to be as much as a large thickness of something that is less resistive, they are all functions of thickness.

Don't you dare tell that to the ceramic coating brigade.

6 hours ago, djr81 said:

Don't you dare tell that to the ceramic coating brigade.

That's why for them to honor the warranty car needs to go back for a "refresh" every 6 months, and that isn't free.

13 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

There are 2 sorts of engineers.  The document obsessed ones, who can't get anything right without a documented procedure and QA checklist, and the other sort, who just get shit done.

I know what you mean, but depending on the industry, and I'm sure you're fully aware of this, some procedures put in place were paid with lives lost.

On 2/23/2018 at 2:58 PM, mr_rbman said:

Mine just arrived, 3.5 weeks after ordering but worth the wait...

Looks even better in the flesh 

May I ask who you ordered it from?

I gave you a pretty good price and invoiced you up for it and you went silent :)

A message saying I will get it off someone else would have been nice.

On 20/03/2018 at 10:47 AM, GTSBoy said:

The document obsessed ones, who can't get anything right without a documented procedure and QA checklist, and the other sort, who just get shit done.

That sounds like off-shored IT helpdesk vs. people that know what they're dong.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:21 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

May I ask who you ordered it from?

I gave you a pretty good price and invoiced you up for it and you went silent

A message saying I will get it off someone else would have been nice.

Never got your invoice Johnny, i couldn't agree more with messaging someone after they've gone to the effort but i never got anything from you and i'm not one to bug someone for business...

I purchased from Quickbitz, was a few $$$ cheaper but if i'd received your invoice i would've gone with you....

56 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

Probably should become a trusted SAU trader :D

Wasn't intended to be a proper business. I just happen to have the right connections and out of my good will was helping out SAU members.

However in light of a few experiences I am no longer supplying parts to SAU members as per my signature.