SAU Community

Hey from Brisbane

johanliebs

Hey from Brisbane

Hey all,

Hope my current ride qualifies.... It's a Datsun with a RB25 Neo :banana:

Owned 2 Skylines and one S14 before, but on the lookout for another Skyline when finances improve again! In the meantime my 1982 Datsun MQ Patrol is the nearest I can get. It is still a work in progress but hope to finish it in 2017 :cool:

So I got tired of the lame L28 3 speed auto (original un-opened motor) and replaced it with a RB25DE NEO and gearbox from a half cut a sourced 1 year ago. So I can call this the 1 year anniversary.

IMG_20160402_143852.jpg

IMG_20160402_143908.jpg

IMG_20160402_143927.jpg

• Like 1

Camping lights and all the electronics, laptop etc. 82 Patrol has virtually no electronics except for the radio. Now it has R34 wiring looms, central locking, power windows and 5v USB etc everywhere. Navigation, UHF and reversing camera. I even have space for a 200 watt solar panel on the roof rack.

Still have a few wiring issues to sort out. Also replacing the Patrol instrument cluster with the R34 electronic cluster. 

Best thing is reving it up at the lights... Everybody looks for the Skyline.... none in sight! Confuse people even more when the old Patrol flies off... :)

• Like 1

I deliberately stayed away from the turbo motor as I am a bit of a lead foot.... Just so much fun hearing the RB revving up.

Looking for a limited slip upgrade for the rear diff so it goes sideways a bit better. I also want to change the gear ratios (4.625 on 285/75/16) since the Patrol wheels are a bit bigger. Revs around 2500rpm at 100km/h which is a bit low for a vehicle with aerodynamics like a brick. Want to get it a bit higher on the rev range somewhere between peak torque and KW. Can anybody with an  auto (4th gear) please tell me what their revs are at the same speed please? The OLD MQ Patrol weighs around 1.7 ton without accessories which is not much more than the Skyline, so performance should be acceptable. A bit out of breath right now with the diff ratios, but I should be able to fix that.

Done just over 2000 km since the transplant without any issues. RB has only done around 88 000km to date so it on not even run in yet. Manage to keep the consult port so I can hookup the laptop. Everything seems fine/fixable except some strange behaviour from the O2 sensor which seems to fluctuate, actually jumps between zero and max at idle. This probably explain my less than stellar fuel consumption.