SAU Community

Relocating battery

stranger12

when relocating battery what mm wire did you get? I am thinking of getting 40mm

Second question is , would you run thenpositive and negative under frame or in cabin?

Now considering i am relocating my battery, should i wait and run a positive and negative direct from battery to my new walbro or just run it now from front of the car?
Finally how do you join the existing positive and negative in engine bay to the newly run wire

Edited by stranger12

I would search for these answers. This has been covered elsewhere, however, i can answer some of your questions (just shooting from the hip, haven't done this myself).

Q2: I would prefer to run the wires inside the cabin. Its less likely to be damaged by anything there. I should think it would also have an easier life there.
Q3: Wouldn't you want to run the fuel pumps on your ignition circuit rather than straight frombthe battery? You'll need to find an accessory circuit to splice into for this (via a relay i imagine).
Q4: Depends. On your new wire, ease of access, tools available, and what fasteners you have. Suggest this would be best covered by a DIY article or sesrching.

Just my 2 cents, it might be worth having an auto elec cast their eye over it before or after (or both) just so you can be sure nothing has gone astray.

Good luck! :)

Fuses dont detect fires, though they can potentially stop them.
When a wire has electricity running through it, it will increase in temperature.
As the temperature of the wire increases so too does its electrical resistance. This means that more current is required to push its way down the wire. More current will heat up the wires (and so on to thermal runaway).
If the wire gets too hot it can require too much current and this can be the cause of a fire. Wires can literally start to glow and melt their jackets.
A fuse will blow itself to protect the circuit.
The idea here is fuses are the weakest link in your circuits. They are specifically designed to fail. This means that you dont blow up or damage more expensive components.

Not sure if this helps... i understand it, but putting it into words is the hard part! Let me know if you need more info.

• Like 1

I did buy the cables
They only had 60mm in stock and as i have the car in pieces i did buy it

I guess i need an isolator switch and a fuse rated at 300 amp or something

Here is how I am planning to cable it please let me know if you spot any issues

Existing positive joined at front to the new cable using joint box(300 amp)
This cable will then run all the way back to rear through firewall

It will then have a isolator and then a fuse before connecting to the battery positive lead

Negative lead then goes from
Negative direct to chasiss so I don't need to run it back to front

Interesting question is, when you look at the cable that is bulky and plugged into terminal, where is it coming from?

Is it from alternator and starter? If yes then how is it fed to rest of machine for things such as lights

Fuses dont detect fires, though they can potentially stop them.
When a wire has electricity running through it, it will increase in temperature.
As the temperature of the wire increases so too does its electrical resistance. This means that more current is required to push its way down the wire. More current will heat up the wires (and so on to thermal runaway).
If the wire gets too hot it can require too much current and this can be the cause of a fire. Wires can literally start to glow and melt their jackets.
A fuse will blow itself to protect the circuit.
The idea here is fuses are the weakest link in your circuits. They are specifically designed to fail. This means that you dont blow up or damage more expensive components.

Not sure if this helps... i understand it, but putting it into words is the hard part! Let me know if you need more info.

That's partly true, because if the car is smashes, and the possitive cable is able to hit the chassis, it will make sparks, if there is a fuel leak, or some oil resident or ... it wil light up... been there, done that. Have seen many times at the workshop. Replacing starter, and forget to disconnect the battery... you hot the cable and bang, fire, ifffd there is a oil leakage of such things...
Now anyway, better prevent and place a fuse...