SAU Community

Need more radiator

Need more radiator

I currently have a Cooling Pro Triple Core 40mm from Just Jap, but I need more cooling at the track.

With respect to design, here's my current set of assumptions;
- Number of rows does not make a huge difference
- Number of passes probably makes more difference than number of rows
- Thicker core should be better
So I should probably get something with ~50mm core and two or more passes

Options;

Blitz Racing ZS 42mm, just jap, $600 or rhdjapan $399+delivery
KOYO Copper Radiator Type-S, "Num. of Layers: 2" $436+delivery
TRUST GREDDY TW-R 50mm, "2-Row" rhdjapan, $436+delivery
HPI Radiator Evolve STD Series, 50mm, "Wide Tube 2 Core" rhdjapan $492+delivery
KOYO Type F Aluminum, 48mm, "Num. of Layers: 2" $802+delivery
HPI Multi Flow Evolve, 40mm, "Multi Pitch Core (Triple Turn)" $871+delivery

Does "layers" mean cores or passes? Any recommendations from this list or elsewhere?

Yep have oil cooler. Until the last power upgrade, I'd get to about 110 on the factory oil temp gauge, and the coolant temp would stay at half way on the factory gauge. Now coolant gets to 3/4s quickly.

these 2/3 core radiators aren't actually twin or triple pass are they?
Best bet would be to talk to a local radiator shop about making a custom twin pass radiator wouldn't it? Presumably that would mean sideways end tanks but shouldn't be to hard to make work in a skylien

1 hour ago, sneakey pete said:

these 2/3 core radiators aren't actually twin or triple pass are they?
Best bet would be to talk to a local radiator shop about making a custom twin pass radiator wouldn't it? Presumably that would mean sideways end tanks but shouldn't be to hard to make work in a skylien

Just the HPI Multi Flow Evolve, but its only 40mm according to RHD.

JJ has its "HPI Evolve" at 50mm, and the add says "Provides 30% Increased Cooling Efficiency".

50mm is probably 30% thicker than a stock core. 50mm is a thick radiator. Generic ebay 50mm core In mine doesn't get hot, or didn't.

End of the day its a trade off, Thicker is better and holds more fluid, more space for air to pass through, but weighs more takes up more space. Twin pass means you have generally more usable area used which is a plus, eg i'd expect that HPI actual twin pass radiator (nice find!) to cool more effectivly than my 50mm normal one... but as i said, would it matter for my usage? no...

If you can afford to drop 750 bucks on a radiator I think you'd go well with the HPI twin pass one, but that's a gut feeling only.

I think cooling panels have an effect. The seal with the bonnet is not that good. SK fitted one to his Stagea early in the piece and he is quite a results orientated person not that much into bling.

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

I think cooling panels have an effect. The seal with the bonnet is not that good. SK fitted one to his Stagea early in the piece and he is quite a results orientated person not that much into bling.

They definitely work.  But you have to go the full monty and make sure that the air can't just escape everywhere else.  So that usually means packing the gaps at the sides with closed cell foam and making sure that the undertray/diffuser area isn't open between the intercooler and the radiator.

17 minutes ago, Borci88 said:

The radiators that Racepace sell are triple pass and are about $500.

Looks like their website is dead - i'll message them.

10 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

They definitely work.  But you have to go the full monty and make sure that the air can't just escape everywhere else.  So that usually means packing the gaps at the sides with closed cell foam and making sure that the undertray/diffuser area isn't open between the intercooler and the radiator.

Ok, there's big gaps everywhere.... who sells foam that's up to the job?

20 minutes ago, MrStabby said:

Looks like their website is dead - i'll message them.

Ok, there's big gaps everywhere.... who sells foam that's up to the job?

Upholstery places, car trimmers? You can get stuff with adhesive for the strips.

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Upholstery places, car trimmers? You can get stuff with adhesive for the strips.

I'm concerned that generic stuff wont last long with the temperatures and fumes... too paranoid?

Why not PWR? They are the choice of major motorsport teams.

Also how much glycol are you using? The less the better for cooling. You really just want anti-corrosion and some gycol as lubricant.

And adding some panels/shrouding will definitely help.

I used the grey open cell stuff that is often used to pack IT equipment and the like.  Open cell is not as effective, but for pieces that are 2-4" thick and getting squeezed into gaps, it hardly matters.

Self adhesive is only so-so useful.  To get the stuff into the vertical spaces you need to poke and prod it.  It's worth shaping it a bit to fit the obvious profile, but just make it fatter than it needs to be and ram it in so it stays put.

greddy radiator, new clutch hub and std fan, 45min sessions at winton non stop no issues @ 370rwkw on std engine in 35c heat. has 115mm greddy intercooler in front of it as well.

jt vk (1).jpg