SAU Community

Lose reception when dash cam plugged in

PranK

Lose reception when dash cam plugged in

Hi Folks,

I have a dash cam that plugs into the ciggy lighter. As soon as it plugs in, I lose any radio reception i had. (Could also just be static over the top of the radio I guess).

I'm about to wire a second 12v socket into my glove box so I can have the camera plugged in a little more discreetly.

What should I do to ensure I don't have the same problem when the new socket goes in? Can I add a noise filter thingo? Should I insulate the crap out of everything?

Thanks in advance.

Did you buy your Dashcam on Ebay?

Most of Ebay products don't comply to our RCM/CTICK standard hence why such interference. Also if you're to wire it to your cigi socket, don't forget these things are around 5v and not 12v. 

Is it a plug into the lighter style job. If it is, replace the power supply with a half decent one and all should be well. Same thing happened to me, I replaced the supply with a belkin one I had and no more interference.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, West said:

Did you buy your Dashcam on Ebay?

Most of Ebay products don't comply to our RCM/CTICK standard hence why such interference. Also if you're to wire it to your cigi socket, don't forget these things are around 5v and not 12v. 

I did buy it on eBay. I'll check the plug whether it says 5v or 12v. I was going to retain the cigarette lighter plug, just have one in the glovebox. This should then still step down to 5v wouldn't it?

49 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Is it a plug into the lighter style job. If it is, replace the power supply with a half decent one and all should be well. Same thing happened to me, I replaced the supply with a belkin one I had and no more interference.

That's an easy enough job, I can get a Narva one from Autobarn for under $10 I think. 

Thanks guys! 

1 minute ago, PranK said:

I did buy it on eBay. I'll check the plug whether it says 5v or 12v. I was going to retain the cigarette lighter plug, just have one in the glovebox. This should then still step down to 5v wouldn't it?

Thanks guys! 

Then that should be fine.

If it still play up after you have moved the cigi location, try wrap some foil around the circuit board, that should help a bit. 

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk :), try to avoid short circuit the thing. 

• Like 2

This is the place to start (in my opinion).
If this doesn't work then look into shielding the wiring of the dashcam (back to earth). Any spurious noise coming from the dashcam or associated parts may be ruining you reception.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Its worth noting that the static is not the engine revs type of signal noise. This is a non-alternating constant static which is why it seems to be the reception to me.

I don't listen to the radio a lot, but broken things just get under my skin.

I'll be trying to get the plug in the glovebox this weekend, i'll report back afterwards.