SAU Community

Tuning HKS FCON V

Parag0n

Hi,

I need someone in QLD who can tune this ECU, Gavin Woods can't, Sub-Zero can't, all the HKS dealers can't.... I rang up BD4's in Sydney which is a HKS ProDealer and they reckon they are the only ones in Australia who can tune this ECU. If anyone knows of workshops in QLD who can do it let it be know :)

Otherwise I will be going on a little roadtrip ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roadtrip!

but seriously, im very sure BD4's are the only guys who can tune this ecu. another place in sydney does it but the just contract the work to BD4's i think.

-rb25

be careful with the HKS Fcon V ecu's. Not many around australia know how to tune them because most the time the language is in Japanese and u need HKS accreditation to recieve access to the software. Only time i've heard of ANYONE in australia tune one was when Susumu Koyama from Jun Auto in japan went over to perth to tune a few cars (inclusive of a sexy looking grey R34 GTR)

I just spoke to Jim @ Croydon Racing Developments (CRD) and he is trying to source the HKS F-Con S/V laptop software from HKS at a cost of $4000 so he can tune this excellent ECU...

Just remember that actual costs always run nearly double what he quotes you. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

;) um, you could pay twice the money to get something like that tuned..

or throw it out and go for one of the common ones that can be tuned by anybody. Its a waste in a way, but unless you can find a good tuner for it, what is the point?

Out of interest, what are the advantages of the HKS FCON over something like the Apexi PFC?

If there is only one tuner in australia who can do FCON, it seems like a lot of effort to goto instead of using a common garden variety computer. Are there big gains to be had?

Ok the deal with HKS computers as far as i know is:

FconV

Does fuel only. Now the bad thing with this piggyback ecu is that the standard ecu will still retard timing and add/remove fuel 7.5% either way of the tune put simply. I like to think of it as HKS's answer to the SAFC. Who would pay someone big money to tune an FconV or FconS when you could get an safc done for 200.

FconV Pro

Does fuel and timing and shitloads of other stuff, comparable to a motec, but still not as comprehensive. With thi ecu you have to buy an air temp sensor and a MAP sensor to make it work, an additional $1000 ontop of the ECU. Also it is still a piggyback, leaving the standard ecu to do aircon and demister etc. the fuel/timing is eliminated with a special harness which isnt cheap too. Tuning was very expensive last time i got a quote, it put me off getting one of these ECU's. Imagine forking out truckloads of money everytime you do a mod just to tune your car to it.

-rb25

Serious question, and not a go at you or anything....

If its a step below the PFC, and you have to drive from the sunny coast to sydney for tuning ... Why use it instead of the PFC?

If there are some magical features ross hasnt pointed out yet (although I guess MAP is an advantage over MAF) I'd be interested in hearing them. Always open to new ideas and suggestions for ECUs :rolleyes:

rb25 the HKS FCON V is worlds apart from the Apex SAFC, maybe one step behind the Power FC, for reference I have the Pro Version and BD4's do have the Pro Software.

for sure, it is more comprehensive than an safc, but at the end of the day, it does fuel maps, not timing, and imho thats ordinary anyway. powerfc is the go.

-rb25

In Perth a guy is flown in over from Japan and all cars a done in one hit, it isnt just about having the gear and software it is all about knowing how to tune the software.

One shop here blew two motors and they hadent started to look into tuning, ripped it out and put in a Micro Tech (RX7).

Power FC is the way or something that a good local tuning shop can work on.

Serious question, and not a go at you or anything....

If its a step below the PFC, and you have to drive from the sunny coast to sydney for tuning ... Why use it instead of the PFC?  

Because it is the pro version, which is proven a better ecu over the apex power fc.

The pro version is pretty much a MoTeC but uses a piggyback system.

And yes RB25 I have the harnesses and what not.

i believe what Krawler is trying to say is ---> Why is it so much better than the Power FC? therefore making the drive to sydney worth it. Why couldnt u sell it buy a power FC and have it tuned here and save yaself alot of trouble

you can now get a newer PFC's will do MAP as well..

i think everybody is pretty much along the same lines though.. $1200 on a PFC, or lots of ****ing around and maybe headaches with the HKS. The HKS may in fact be a better ECU, and I have seen quite a few hypo GTR's with them in japan - and some 9second GTR have had them.. but if you can't get it tuned, or tuned properly more importantly its all a little irrelevent