SAU Community

How many skylines are left?

On 12/01/2017 at 8:57 PM, LaurelPWR said:

There's a lad on facebook who buys and wrecks a genuinely decent if not perfect running r33 or r32 gtr nearly couple of weeks.. Recently Including the one off Top Secret time attack r33 gtr. Man it does my head in!

IMG_1484215556.855832.jpgIMG_1484215574.620421.jpg

Seeing Brad's posts always make me sad.  That was JapLinks baby too :(

Curious as to how much he makes flipping the parts

Seeing Brad's posts always make me sad.  That was JapLinks baby too [emoji20]
Curious as to how much he makes flipping the parts

Yeah man I always cringe a little haha but I would be lying if I said I haven't or wouldn't buy some of the sweet parts he sells ......

skylines are a great car to learn how to drive and for a import there is a metric shit ton of spare parts ect, way iv seen it is GTSt and GTT are going down hill and GTR's are going up in value and development, and what's the point in having 400kw gtst that figure skates all over the road and when you go to sell it you have every time waster offering you 5k plus swaps for there bucket, a clean well put together GTR will sell and people are chasing them all the time, plus now the US is allowing them will drive the prices up and improve development for them even more.

How are GTST/GTT's going down hill, sure they may not be as expensive as certain GTR models. But it if you look around the forsale sites. if anything their slightly on the rise.

the point of 400kw figure skating.....well it's a mans sport.

You can have as much trouble selling a poorly heavily modded GTR too, no one wants someone elses thrashed out modded car. Sloppy seconds!

Screw delvelopment give them to the U.S they are old cars, everyone that wanted one has probably already had it or moved on. 

It's not as if they were forged out of the last remaining samurai swords and trimmed with dugong forskin leather.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is old, but it's insane how these cars shot up in literally 1 year. You were all right!

I just paid almost $20,000 for an R33 GTST as it was my 'realistic' dream car from many years ago. I'm a teenager- and I worked my ass off to buy one. I never wanted to pay anywhere near this but I bit the bullet and unfortunately it's already off the road for fixes!

Reading this post- everything came true. I should have found this last year when I skipped over several very good 7-8k Skylines, and bought a cheaper daily! I miss the days when they were a dime a dozen, I passed up on so many of them it's crazy- just to lose out on big $$$ now. 

HANG ON TO THOSE GTST SKYLINES!

• Like 5

OK so the predictions where true, and predict to 2025.

Clemo. Was in same situ, a few yrs ago. Could see prices rise yr on year. I went for the minty fresh. No mods option. That no boy racer wanted. Looked at about 6 cars before purchase, so made the right choice. 

Being from a small northern island. We have very little skylines left, salt and rain killed them, plus nissan didn't paint them or protect them, plus dare I say throw away society, use, abuse, and move to the next must have. 

not many people can weld or has the skills too, they can like Facebook posts :), that's life now! ♥️

Fair play to the grafters out there, building, restoring, maintaining these now rare cars. 

• Like 1

Sadly I believe Canada killed a lot of R32's. 10-15 years ago, they littered the streets due to their low price/potential but unfortunately they were also considered easily dispensable (You could buy GTR's for 6-7k cdn). Most ended up scrapped. Nothing as bad as Pulsar GTI-R's though... they were mostly purchased as winter beaters and rotted away due to road salt. 

They started making a comeback about 2 years ago due to American's being allowed to import them, along with a huge price increase. 

1 hour ago, TurboTapin said:

Sadly I believe Canada killed a lot of R32's. 10-15 years ago, they littered the streets due to their low price/potential but unfortunately they were also considered easily dispensable (You could buy GTR's for 6-7k cdn). Most ended up scrapped. Nothing as bad as Pulsar GTI-R's though... they were mostly purchased as winter beaters and rotted away due to road salt. 

They started making a comeback about 2 years ago due to American's being allowed to import them, along with a huge price increase. 

That honestly makes me so depressed.  Love the GTI-R.

As for those dirt cheap skyline, I always planned on a GTST anyway as I was too late to miss the GTR hike, but that never bothered me. An AU$ 7-8k R33/R32 GTST was always the goal, then drop in a forged 25 or ideally 25/30 or 26/30 and have it forged, making insane power for less than or around $25-30k. Would be a monster street car. And wouldn't break the bank.

Now i'm $20k+ deep in the hole for just a f**king old car. Honestly I always wanted one since I was 16 and since I studied I couldn't buy it until I was 19. No longer studying and covid hit the car market as soon as I had money. 

I might sell the car. It's too expensive now since I missed the cheap ones last year LOL. It pains me but I don't know what to do with these things 😂

• Sad 1

On 07/01/2021 at 9:02 PM, CLEM0 said:

That honestly makes me so depressed.  Love the GTI-R.

As for those dirt cheap skyline, I always planned on a GTST anyway as I was too late to miss the GTR hike, but that never bothered me. An AU$ 7-8k R33/R32 GTST was always the goal, then drop in a forged 25 or ideally 25/30 or 26/30 and have it forged, making insane power for less than or around $25-30k. Would be a monster street car. And wouldn't break the bank.

Now i'm $20k+ deep in the hole for just a f**king old car. Honestly I always wanted one since I was 16 and since I studied I couldn't buy it until I was 19. No longer studying and covid hit the car market as soon as I had money. 

I might sell the car. It's too expensive now since I missed the cheap ones last year LOL. It pains me but I don't know what to do with these things 😂

i have been in the gtr scene for almost 15 years now born and raised in canada. you couldnt of said it any better im sad to say... they were sold as ditch cheap "rice rockets" and i bet 85 percent of them were completely beat on or lost through years of driving and no maintenance,crashed, and with poor storage or winter driving and salt destroyed. canadians never knew or respected the history of the cars and they were esentially used as toys with little respect.  supra's were always expensive and the r32 or 33 was a great alternative and everyone fell in love with them regardless of there issues compared to a mk4 cause they were cheap and could keep up to anything. When the states could legally get them, the prices triples and all the good skylines went straight to the states. the only nice ones that stayed in this neck of the woods were the die hards that kept them. my black one being of them but my others needed much work to get well again. when you go to the states you see head turning r32 and r33 all over the place, thats where they all are now.

On 07/01/2021 at 7:28 PM, TurboTapin said:

post above was meant for you i bunged up the post...sorry mates

3 hours ago, maddy400r33 said:

So you are saying most skyline in US are ex rusty Canadian skylines? 

They where not well protected from nissan, primer isn't paint! 

Some are very clean like mine, but a lot of rusty ones must of ended up in the US. We use to say Japan sent us all their old garbage cars... and now unfortunately we're passing it on to Americans. 

Hard to believe when I first joined this forum back in 2004 there were posts warning people not to import sub 20k R32 GTR's as they were most likely money pits (probably true at the time). I kinda wish I did, even if it just sat in the garage but hey 🤷‍♂️

There is a natural market curve of vehicle value which usually dips at around 10 years, bottoming out at around 20 years, and then recovering from that point on - obviously this doesn't apply to all vehicles.

My take is the above, plus years of USA pent-up JDM lust now being relieved by now legally being able import these cars combined with social media & youtube personalities like tommyfyeah restoring, importing and collecting super rare parts in an increasingly smaller market has created a market bubble in this scene with no sign of bursting anytime soon.

Can only be a good thing for those who have already bought in 🙂

• 2 months later...

Howdy,dragging up this old thread. Still have our 93 r33 in her rare color just updated her insurance 30 grand, wow is all I can say, mustn't be many left these days only a couple in my town now. 😃

5 hours ago, Humbla said:

Howdy,dragging up this old thread. Still have our 93 r33 in her rare color just updated her insurance 30 grand, wow is all I can say, mustn't be many left these days only a couple in my town now. 😃

That's what they're going for now, especially tidy ones- what did you pay for it when you got it? Bet it was no where even close to $30k!

39 minutes ago, CLEM0 said:

That's what they're going for now, especially tidy ones- what did you pay for it when you got it? Bet it was no where even close to $30k!

20 years ago we paid 25000.🙂